Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale

Old 12/29/2007, 06:06 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

As if they were not beautiful enough - New Powder Blue addition -

I finally made it down to Coral Reef Farm yesterday. I have to say that these guys were some of the nicest guys I have seen at LFS. I wish the store was closer to me...

As if Powder Blues were not beautiful enough, they had 2 with Color morphs, here is the one that I picked up. Notice the yellow rim on the bottom and the tail. So far it does not have any ich spots, has been pretty active in the tank, and is picking at algae. He seemed to pick at some cyclopeeze, but not aggressively. He has not touched the algae clip yet though.

No, the clown is not attacking him, just checking him out

Here is an Acan Frag that I also picked up:

Here is a deepwater acro, it has a pinkish/peach color, with white tips. I really like the light color of base. I am interested in what will happen to this one as I move it up in the tank:
Old 12/29/2007, 06:53 PM
TANK RAIDER!

very nice- sorry to tell u that the acro will be no more in time.
STN surely on its way.
Nice PBT
Old 12/29/2007, 07:26 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Would you recommend taking it out of the tank if that is the case? Is there any way to frag it to stop this? Everything I read says its like RTN, base up but I do not see this in this acros case.

Here are some question for me to learn from, please dont take it as questioning your logic.
I am not sure how you diagnosed this in my case, because from what I understand it normally starts at the base. Did you see it because the tips are white or because of some of the brownish spots in the picture? In general I thought this was because of the general coloration of the coral and not an issue. Also, I did see a small bit of polyp extension last night last night and they were white. My Blue/green tort did the same thing for the first couple weeks, where I would barely ever see get good PE.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:35 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Husky looks like unfortunately there's some tissue loss already happening wether its is from pest or what not but the actual tissue should not be peeling.
Not the tips but the actual "trunk"
looks like a granulosa or loripes.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:37 PM
TANK RAIDER!

It mat very well make it but its an uphill battle.
I guess the point i'm trying to make is the fact that the tissue loss looks unhealthy whteher is gonna be ok or not I wish I knew.

Acros are finnicky critters.
i will most def leave it on he bottom for a while.

Any dips?

Last edited by gasman059; 12/29/2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

that a gorgeous powder
Old 12/29/2007, 08:26 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
It mat very well make it but its an uphill battle.
I guess the point i'm trying to make is the fact that the tissue loss looks unhealthy whteher is gonna be ok or not I wish I knew.

Acros are finnicky critters.
i will most def leave it on he bottom for a while.

Any dips?
Thanks for the info..

No dips on the acro's, I do not have any interceptor, which I knew going in. Its probably best that I start dipping. Hopefully nothing bad gets in the tank, I hate to have to nuke all my inverts....
Old 12/29/2007, 09:20 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Husky_1
Thanks for the info..

No dips on the acro's, I do not have any interceptor, which I knew going in. Its probably best that I start dipping. Hopefully nothing bad gets in the tank, I hate to have to nuke all my inverts....
everybody worries about RB's but in reality those are really not bad at all.
AEFW are truly a pest, that can wipe out a tank.
i would suggest dippin all your newcomers.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

beautiful fish
Old 12/29/2007, 10:12 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
everybody worries about RB's but in reality those are really not bad at all.
AEFW are truly a pest, that can wipe out a tank.
i would suggest dippin all your newcomers.
After going through the RB battle, I'm now terrified of getting AEFW, because I know it'll be alll over for a while, since I don't have the time nor resources to dip the acros in another tank. It keeps me up at night worrying about AEFW. I'm really going to have to lay off of frags for a while, because I'm sure that I got the RB before from someone, and I treated all frags that I got at that time, so it really had me freaked out. But now I don't worry about RB anymore, just AEFW.

Oh well. I still want one of the gurus or more experienced guys to come over and see if I have AEFW. Jeffbrig came by and didn't notice anything, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear, but I'm as paranoid as a 14yr old after his first joint in his bedroom in his parent's house (or something like that... Imagine paranoid...)
Old 12/30/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Husky,

IMO, that picture is not clear and close enough to conclude that the patchy areas are RTN. Looks more like brown patches under the branches. Any way that you can get a closer and clearer shot? If you have a magnifying glass around, put that in front of the camera and see if that helps your close up shots. More light on the coral might help the shot as well. Maybe flash at an angle.

If it is RTN then you should frag the clean branches off and attach to rock rubble. Make sure to cut clear of the RTN areas so that you have only good tissue left on the frag.

BTW, good catch on the Powder Blue. It looks like it's a hybrid with a Powder Brown.

Rafael

Last edited by FragGuy; 12/30/2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

I am glad that Jeff looked at your frag, I was worried by looking at the darker spots on the picture the first thing I thought was AEFW I found them on my tank about a year and a half ago thanks to a picture just like that one, buy yourself a big magnifying lens for future inspections.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:20 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Fish2Reef, Jeff did not look at my tank, he looked at Eric's tank, so mine is still up to debate.

Fragguy,
I agree that the picture does not do the coral well. I dont have a magnifying glass, but will pick one up soon. Unfortunately, i am nursing a cold right now, so going out to get one is not an option today. My main priority is trying to fight the cold so that our baby does not get it...I will try to get a clearer picture later today.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Thats a nice PBT i bought one from there on Thursday a nice little 3" one
Old 12/30/2007, 01:17 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Thanks Carlos...

Ok, so another couple of question. For the AEFW's do you guys do a Fluke tab dip? If so, do you guys have a process you follow for it? I cannot seem to find it on here but remember seeing it at one point.

Also, do you guys take your magnifying glass when you purchase your frags/colonies and inspect before you buy.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Noob question here but what is AEFW?
Old 12/30/2007, 01:56 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by FragGuy
Husky,

IMO, that picture is not clear and close enough to conclude that the patchy areas are RTN. Looks more like brown patches under the branches. Any way that you can get a closer and clearer shot? If you have a magnifying glass around, put that in front of the camera and see if that helps your close up shots. More light on the coral might help the shot as well. Maybe flash at an angle.

If it is RTN then you should frag the clean branches off and attach to rock rubble. Make sure to cut clear of the RTN areas so that you have only good tissue left on the frag.

BTW, good catch on the Powder Blue. It looks like it's a hybrid with a Powder Brown.

Rafael
AMEN! no replies here.

AEFW=acropora eating flatworms(carlosngloria)
Old 12/30/2007, 04:50 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Newer Acro pic

Ok, so Rachel had to go to Target so she picked me up a magnifying glass. Here is the best picture that I could get

Old 12/30/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Better, but still not clear enough to know what it is exactly. My guess is that it is just brown patches similar to what you see on the base of the coral but not as uniform. I would also rule out AEFWs with high degree of certainty.

Rafael
Old 12/30/2007, 05:47 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Same critter I believe

One I've had for over a year the other i picked up at CRF- perhaps from the same shipment.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 12/30/2007, 08:19 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Nice gasman, yours looks healthy. Thanks for the ID before, that was helpful.

It is interesting to note that the side in the "sun" is not experiencing the same issues. I have moved this more to the center of the tank, but still on the bottom.

Do you think it would be ok to raise this guy up in the tank?

BTW, do these get much PE during the day in general? I would not expect it too much in my first week or so, but just curious.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:43 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
You asked about dipping procedure, so here is mine:
1/2 a fluke tab
1/2 a large dog interceptor (subsitute small dog interceptor whole tab)
2.5 to 4 gallons of water
powerhead
small heater

squish up the interceptor and fluke tab (I use the back of a spoon on granite countertop or floor tile, with the tabs in a plastic bag). then mix up pills with small ammount of tank water in plastic bag. once most is dissolved, pour plastic bag water into 2.5 to 4 gallon container, let the water circulate a bit, heater keeping the temps stable. I drip acclimate the corals with water from the main display, since my treatment bucket is always on the floor, and once they're acclimated after an hour or so, I introduce them to the treatment bucket.

6 hours minimum in the treatment bucket, lots of flow to knock off any baddies (I like using a MJ1200 with a hydor flo head). Once they're done, you can do a 10-15minute dip of something iodine based (lugols, TMPCC, etc), then a wrinse off, and then into the display.

HTH and good luck with the STN
Old 12/31/2007, 11:38 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Thanks Eric, looks like a good plan. I think my frag purchases are going to have to be better timed, or at least making sure that I have some extra SW on hand. I think I would probably do a Water change and then keep the siphoned water for the treatment.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Much better with the close up and I agree with Rafael ruling out AEFW at that magnification you could not miss them.