Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 12/13/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

and 2 again.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

shucks Jeffrey self assisting again

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/13/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

thats soooo true.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

It was really scary at the time, but making fun of it is the only way I can deal with it.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood
In the ER, we frequently put people to sleep briefly with general anesthetics and then paralyze them with short or long acting paralytic drugs in order to place a breathing tube in the lungs. It is crucial that we maintain adequate sedation, preferably with drugs having a strong amnestic effect (drugs which induce amnesia) so that patients aren't awake and aware while they are paralyzed.

We often maintain the paralysis for hours if the patients is violent or thrashing about. We give large doses of sedatives to eliminate awareness.

We also perform many painful and invasive procedures while the person is unconscious and paralyzed. I always ask the patient if they had any awareness while they were paralyzed, and so far, no one has told me that they could remember anything.
this is exactly the procedure the doctor described. however, the patients who were also on the panel described being awake and aware of everything that was going on although only a couple of them claimed to have actually felt the scalpal during the emergency c-section and the total hip replacement .

joey, i understand what you're saying...that no patient has ever actually told you of any awareness but how do you KNOW that it has never happened? i don't meant to question YOU personally, God knows if i'm ever in need of an e.r. in northern minnesota, i'll ask for you BY NAME and they'll probably refer me to a garage that fixes race cars but the jist of the panel discussion was that paralytic drugs are given as well as pain meds, etc., and the patient is still awake but totally unable to move so much as a finger or blink an eye.

it's just all very fascinating to me. i know gary was always awake during the embolizations he had done to the tumor in his sinus cavity. the radiologist said that was because the procedure could cause a stroke and the only way they would know that was happening was if gary was awake to exhibit the signs.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:16 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Hi Nina. I only know what the people have told me. Believe me, if there is complaining to be done, people are not afraid to voice it to us. Because of the drug-induced amnesia, they will not recall the procedures, so it doesn't really matter.

Most of my appendectomy was done under local anesthesia, and I'm certain that I wouldn't have enjoyed much of that procedure, but because of the Versed I received, the last thing I remember is the anesthetist saying "I'm going to give you a little Versed now."

For all I know, I was whistling Dixie and screaming profanities at the doc. But if I don't remember it, it didn't really happen.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:53 AM
Where's My Jell-O?

I was warned about that before I went into surgery last December. Apparently the doctor had experience with at least on patient knowing everything that had happened.

The only weird thing that I had happen was remember a man (the doctor?) and a woman discussing a "hanging" that was shown on the Internet that had happened that morning, and did she see it and she said that she had not but that she had only saw what was on the news.

Later in my room I asked the nurse if there was a male nurse working and told her of the conversation that I heard. She figured it was when I was coming out of the anesthesia. Very weird experience! Almost like eavesdropping!

Melting!
Old 12/13/2007, 11:21 AM
Ha! I finally hit 500!

My three general surgeries (two knee, one nose - throat) were all marked by interesting reactions to anesthesia. After my third one, (nose-throat) the doc told me that I wouldn't stop moving on the table (I have an anxiety disorder and being paralyzed is one of my phobias), and that it took more to knock me out than any patient he'd ever seen. The dr was probably 60!

He also told me that coming out of surgery, while they were trying to get me still, I punched two nurses hard enough that they had to get medical help themselves! I was mortified, and still am. When I was in junior high, I was the big kid who the other kids picked on, because I was so much taller / bigger than anyone else, but I wouldn't hit anybody.

I guess I thought I was fighting for my life after surgery since I had stuff stuffed in my nose, my throat was swollen, and people were trying to hold me down.

Mythbusters
Old 12/13/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

i went in to have a filling a few weeks ago, it took 3 rounds of needles to deaden my nerves. teeth being drilled really is quite painful

Old 12/13/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99
my DR liked giving people the drugs, he firmly stated that he WOULD NOT do my wisdom teeth removal if I was awake. Said he thought it was inhumane
My wisdom teeth - all four - were taken out while I was awake, but I was on a LOT of valium, laughing gas and local anesthesia. Two of them were partially impacted. Actually it was probably my most fun dentist visit. I hate going to the dentist, but I'm a big fan of laughing gas.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:53 PM
m0derated

The one time I had anesthesia was when I had my wisdom teeth out. I remeber sitting in a chair asking the doctor how long it takes for it to start working.

Then I remember waking up sitting on a bench with my back against a wall in another room. I was having a hard time staying upright, but the docs said I walked there. I have no memory of that.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:34 PM
sedentaryologist

Ive only gone under the knife once, and I dont remember anything, I was talking to the doc, then i blinked and was in the recovery room.

Now for dental work, thats a different story alltogether. The last time I had dental work done they hit me with so much stratocaine they thought i was gonna be numb for a week, it wore off 10 minutes after they started the proceedure, so they hit me with lidocaine and it lasted till the proceedure was over . . barely. My system processes novacaine and other 'caine' drugs very quickly, so quickly that the next time I have dental work done im definately gonna look into sedation dentistry, I dont need novacaine wearing off 3/4 of the way into a root canal.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51