Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2007, 12:43 PM
King of the white corals

Rant- Only paypal accepted. Please add 3% for fees.

Seriously.....

This is to you people who are selling, say you only accept paypal, and then demand that I add 3% for paypal fees.

Do you not realize how stupid that is??

If you need the change to tip your neighborhood stripper or whatever, just add it on before you list.

thanks

Ok...im better now. Thanks for listening

Old 10/31/2007, 12:45 PM
Simply Complicated

That's what we are here for on the 5th floor.
Old 10/31/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

When paypal still owned paypal (prior to ebay purchase) you were not allowed to do this. I knew when ebay bought paypal that would spell the end of reasonabale fees and rules.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:55 AM
Moved On

Per Paypal's user agreement:

Quote:
4.7 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
The user agreement specifically states that a seller CANNOT request a buyer to pay the 3% fee the seller is charged for each paypal transaction.

Statements such as "Paypal users add 3%" violate the user agreement. Buyers do not have to pay these fees and if a seller refuses to send a product/service due to you not paying these fees, REPORT THEM to paypal.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:11 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

If the buyer wants the item they will have to pay the amount requested or buy from someone else. I generally wont do business with anyone that uses pay pal.

All the seller has to say is customers who pay with check or money orders etc. recieve a 3% discount. Same effect but doesn't violate paypal rules. Pay Pal doesn't give a crap what the seller charges, they just don't want their 3% surcharge blamed on...... them
Old 11/01/2007, 06:12 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

You could report him if you're feeling nasty, but that is one handy bit of information for him to have up. It says, "Hey, I'm a rank amatuer...don't expect much after the sale either."

JMHO
Old 11/01/2007, 08:15 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Paypal takes 3%, EBay takes 5% of the sale, then they charge you .50 to $10 to list the item depending upon the list starting price
Thats close to a 10% tax FROM the SAME COMPANY

I can't stand Paypal or EBay, but its a large selling force that you can't ignore. Some of the items I post for sale I make $2 on BEFORE these charges. So charging ahdnling & boxing fee is now required in some cases JUST to break even

Shipping...say shipping costs $20 ( I sell large items that cost more to ship). Paypal takes almost $1 JUST for the user paying you. So now you need ta add EVEN MORE $$ just to break even on the shipping
I used to think some people were charging excesive shipping
Now after checking USPS (usually lowest on small items), UPS (highest), FedEX - DHL - tie - but lower then UPS BY FAR

You want to RANT? Rant at EBay & Paypal for their combined fees that ADD almost 10% to every sale. And do you think shipping thru EBay costs as much as they actually charge - NOT A CHANCE!! They get a huge shipping discount & have only recently TRIED to pass those savings on to the SELLER/BUYER

They NOW OFFER 31% off shipping via UPS
GUEES WHAT!!?? DHL & FedEX WERE STILL LOWER!!!

That's why I usually ship via DHL, but FedEx is giving me better rates starting next week

I NEVER ask for paypal fees. They are calculated into the sale & the shipping charges.
NO MATTER WHAT - specifically asking for PAYPAL fees on the sale is not allowed.
Offering a discount on MOney Order or checks woudl nto be allowed either, as that effectively makes a Paypal payment a surcharge
And paying me by check or money order delays shipment by 7-10 days until the check/MO clears and I am sure it is valid. There are simply too many bogus checks & MO out there

One person paid by check...I shoudl have said no as he only had 4 purchases on EBay. I WARNED him that it would take 10 days for the check to clear the bank BEFORE I would pack the item up for shipping. His check took almost 10 days from end of auction to arrive! Did he delay sending it? He then somehow thought I would "know" that his bank had received the check back from my bank.....uh...I don't have access to your bank account or bank
I promise shipping within 7 days of payment, AFTER it has cleared
His check cleared (10 days) on a Saturday, his item shipped on Monday - USPS. They say 2-9 days but it can take 14 days - REALITY!! So he receives it 30 days after the auction closed due to his payent by check & shipping method

....and blames me.....so I get a negative strike...he is blocked from bidding on my items
Now I only accept checks /MO from people with 100% feedback, seller rating OVER 100 & must have been an EBay member for more then 1 year

It sucks, but the people who smuck you over always ruin it for everyone else

...oh...and let me tell you about people who think their shipping rate USPS is always that low rate for that 12" square box. Despite the fact the boxed item is 29" tall, 24" wide & 18' thick

MY RANT...over
Old 11/01/2007, 08:34 AM
Where the future begins!

I agree with what you say Scuba_Dave, but I think that requiring a seller rating over 100 is a little bit excessive. I've been a member with eBay since 1999, but only have a feedback rating of 40 (although it is 100%). I just simply don't shop or sell with them that often because of the crap that goes on with that website.

P.S. I worked for an eBay PowerSeller for about 3 years, which is another reason why I don't use eBay very often anymore. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that I've seen going on with some of these sellers (and buyers) on there.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 11/01/2007, 08:49 AM
Moved In

I send money orders, and do less and less business on ebay.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/01/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

ok ...how about when you sell outside of ebay on say forum classifieds...

I've sold alot of things on other forum classifieds sections. My prices are always fair and I always offer to pay for shipping via priority mail or Fedex. I've always offered two methods of payment Postal Money orders or Paypal.

My only stipulation is if you use paypal you must add the 3%. Why??? well one most people buying already try and get you to drop the price to make the sale on anything. two, we live in a need everything yesterday type of society and most people dont care to take the time to go to the post office, mail it then wait for me to get the money then ship their item. Three a majority of people buying online want a security blanket to fall back on incase the seller doesnt come through.

It may be $.15 for a 5 dollar item or it may be $30 for a $1000 item. point is I offered a faster, more secure way to pay for something, you had a choice and if you want to buy from me useing that method its the cost of the item plus paypal 3%.

Reporting to paypal is a joke....especially with a whole forum of 40,000+ sellers all doing the same thing. Never had one unhappy or dissatisfied person with anything i've ever sold.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:14 AM
Rubberman

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
I send money orders, and do less and less business on ebay.
You're a rare breed.

5 years ago I think the ratio of PP vs CC vs MO was about 5-55-40. Now it's 95-1-4. I really prefer PP for low-dollar items since I can get the transaction over with right away.
They take a couple bucks but I'm done with it.
When the sale hits $200 or so I don't mind waiting for a MO to come in the mail and I get to pocket the savings but these are not my choices, they customer makes those.
My gut feelings is those that send money orders for the stuff I sell are pulling the cash out of the secret hiding place they (think they) have in their wallet.

SteveU
Old 11/01/2007, 12:18 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by rogers259
ok ...how about when you sell outside of ebay on say forum classifieds...

I've sold alot of things on other forum classifieds sections. My prices are always fair and I always offer to pay for shipping via priority mail or Fedex. I've always offered two methods of payment Postal Money orders or Paypal.

My only stipulation is if you use paypal you must add the 3%. Why??? well one most people buying already try and get you to drop the price to make the sale on anything. two, we live in a need everything yesterday type of society and most people dont care to take the time to go to the post office, mail it then wait for me to get the money then ship their item. Three a majority of people buying online want a security blanket to fall back on incase the seller doesnt come through.

It may be $.15 for a 5 dollar item or it may be $30 for a $1000 item. point is I offered a faster, more secure way to pay for something, you had a choice and if you want to buy from me useing that method its the cost of the item plus paypal 3%.

I personally like how paypal works and usi it exclusively generally outside of the realm of ebay. I view it as a necessary tool just as you obviously do.

My opinion on it is that it is poor customer service working your customers for pennies....or at a minimum.....leaves a small bad tase in thier mouth. If you arent a good enough salesman or are asking too much for your stuff in the first place to deal with people trying to get it for cheaper..........then you need to work on those things instead of asking for the pennies on top of the sale.

Just my opinion and I dont mean any offense.....but it always makes me laugh and shake my head when sellers ask for it. I pay it and figure they will figure out how to be a better salesman someday

Last edited by flyyyguy; 11/01/2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:31 PM
King of the white corals

oh...and as far as the 100 percent feedback rating required.........I agree with that is unrealistic as well.

Bad customers who dont give sellers a chance before messing up their feedback are unavoidable. Ton of sales....near 100% is worth considering buying from still IMO
Old 11/02/2007, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

Shop somewhere else.
Old 11/02/2007, 01:13 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

You're right of course, close to 100% is OK
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time
and feedback of around 50 would be OK
I was a member for years & just recenlty passed the 100 mark