Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 07/27/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

2 wheel drive or 4 wheel for towing 5th wheel horse trailer

My wife and I are looking at buying a 04 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel dually w/ 20,900miles on it. Its fully loaded, leather, everything...only problem is its 2wd. I field trial my dogs during the spring and fall and will be pulling around a 15k pound gooseneck trailer. We live in Ohio and mainly trial in the midwest(Iowa, Illinois, Michigan)

SO....Question... Do I need 4 wheel drive or is 2wd better? Thoughts? Opinions?

Not that money is the issue but this truck is selling for about $25,900, to get the same exact thing in a 4x4 with equivalant mileage would be about $35000. Is it worth the extra money to have 4x4?

THANKS!

Matt
Old 07/27/2007, 10:12 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

2WD's actually tow slightly better than 4WD's. Unless you have a specific need for 4WD, I would go with the 2WD.
Old 07/27/2007, 10:15 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Can't really say as I'm about as clueless in cars and trucks as a guy can get but I will say you wouldn't dream of not having 4 wheel drive around here in a truck - much less if you were pulling something.

We also have considerably different terrain from you people back east though . (heck, many times 4 wheel drive and chained up all the way around ain't going to be enough to move your truck, much less being hooked onto anything)

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 07/27/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

i've had both and 2 wheel drive is a much nicer ride. just make sure this truck has the towing package with radiator cooler, etc. only reason i see for 4 wheel drive is if you happen to pull into a mucky place but then even with that, pulling a trailer that size, yer gonna be schtuck.

field trials...do you ride fox trotters? tennessee walkers?
Old 07/27/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Nina,

Fox trotters, TW, Rocky Mountain, Paso's ....Yup I ride them all. I currently have all the gear (tucker trooper saddle, etc) but the reason for the truck is so we can finally go and buy a horse. I've been field trialing for 9 years now and Its getting to the point that I cant beg and borrow from friends to ride.

Matt
Old 07/27/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Just checked with the dealer...truck does have the towing package, e-brake, 3.73 rear.

Matt
Old 07/27/2007, 11:13 AM
Rubberman

I have a 99, same truck. My gross weight with the gooseneck is a little over 20K with a loaded trailer. If it's in the mud I doubt having another set of drive wheels would help get me through. I've been in some deep sand in Portland once and the only reason I made it through is I didn't stop or slow down. As far as the ride comfort goes, I prefer to drive the truck with the trailer. It's a smoother ride, no swaying or drifting and everyone gets outta my way.

SteveU
Old 07/27/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rogers259
Nina,

Fox trotters, TW, Rocky Mountain, Paso's ....Yup I ride them all. I currently have all the gear (tucker trooper saddle, etc) but the reason for the truck is so we can finally go and buy a horse. I've been field trialing for 9 years now and Its getting to the point that I cant beg and borrow from friends to ride.

Matt
of all the gaited horses i've ridden, rocky mountains are my favorites! years ago, i visited reah swan's farm in kentucky and rode her foundation sire. awesome ride!!!

so, what breed are you gonna buy when you DO buy?? "we" indicates you have a significant other. better buy TWO!
Old 07/27/2007, 11:55 AM
in the bathtub

I tow a fifth wheel with an F250 super duty diesel 4wd. The 4wd drive can be handy backing the trailer uphill, out side of that when conditions warrant using 4wd (snow, mud, water) I park and have a brandy. The 4wd drive comes in handy for winter driving without the trailer.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 07/27/2007, 12:56 PM
Touch me...Love me

Ive pulled trailers with both 2wd and 4wd and on normal dry road conditions the 2wd is plenty. On ocassion the 4wd did come in handy, but that was pulling a full 6 place snowmobile trailer. Gotta love that snow

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone