Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2007, 06:55 AM
Simply Complicated

Thumbs up RC Helicopter.....

This is an amazing video.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/flip-the-...ads-279599.php
Old 07/27/2007, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

It needs more JAVA
Old 07/27/2007, 07:15 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Can't say about the video as I'm not even going to try and load it on my connection - I've always wanted to get an RC heli to fly though. Its sort of had to take a backseat to my camera's though . Some of those guys out there are flat out amazing, doing inverted hovers just couple foot off the ground and rolls and everything else. I've thought in the past of just getting a radio and everything so I could practice on the computer but right now the money for the radio and stuff could go a long ways towards buying me more camera gear - plus the last thing I need is another expensive hobby!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 07/27/2007, 07:38 AM
Pulling my hair out

The RC Helicopter is not made available to the little people for joy rides. It is only to be used for official business functions...like dropping water balloons on Debi's house from 2000 feet above
Old 07/27/2007, 08:39 AM
Moved In

Wonder how long he practiced to be able to do that without crashing?

Hush Q!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 07/27/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Thats Alan Szabo Jr flying a Trex 600 electric heli. Trust me everything he does with any heli is amazing! The concentration and stick inputs to do all of that is insane. Just to give you an idea as to what it costs to fly one of those...that Heli Alan was flying in the video with everything on it is probably about $2000...thats not including the radio to control it.

I've flown helis with Alan, watched him fly at numerous heli events...this Kid is insane to watch and a nice guy to boot. If you want to see more videos of him flying or other radio control helis check out the two websites below, they both have forums for videos and you could spend days watching them.

www.runryder.com
www.helifreak.com
Old 07/27/2007, 10:00 AM
Stop touching me!!!

Love it!!!

Quote:
When it comes to piloting RC helicopters, Alan Szabo Jr is King, an earthbound Stringfellow Hawke. Here he is putting a whirlybird with a Trex 600 motor through its paces. Observe. Learn, And then go back to piloting your pencil in the privacy of your work cubicle.
Old 07/27/2007, 12:07 PM
in the bathtub

Did he really have that thing flying inverted? i know full size helicopters have difficulty doing that.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 07/27/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did he really have that thing flying inverted? i know full size helicopters have difficulty doing that.

Yes he did and no full size can not stay inverted however certain full size helis will do rolls and flips.

What allows the radio control heli to hold itself inverted is negative pitch. The Radio ties the throttle and Pitch together and by useing a "V" curve in the throttle setup and a +10/-10 pitch setup the radio applies 100% power at full positive pitch at center stick when the blade pitch is 0 it applies about 50% throttle and at full negative pitch it applies 100% power.

It sounds more complex than it really is. If you take your time and setup the heli correctly everything functions as it should.

Here's a few pics of my helis:

Fury Extreme 90 size heli

Inverted in the Beans

Mid Air (this did not happen to me...I took the picture - Nikon D70)

Matt