Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/10/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Anyone use a denitrator?

I'm starting to believe that 0 nitrates is a pipe dream. I have a fuge with chaeto, a huge skimmer, and change at least 20 gallons a week. (and yes, top off with RO/DI, which I've tested.)

I still can't get out of the 20ppm range. I've done the sugar deal, it helps, but only temporary, and I don't wanna do it long term. I'm sick of fighting with it, to be honest. I'm thinking this is my next step, and I can just be done with it.

I should add that I know with my fish, it's a tall order to keep nitrates at zero.

10" Naso tang
6 " yellow tang
6" Blue tang
5" Blue Jaw trigger.

Those are the pigs, along with a coral beauty, mandarin, an anthia, and diamond goby.

Lots of poop in my water!

Last edited by TrojanScott; 06/10/2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06/10/2007, 09:30 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Hah hah, yeah, big poops go along with big fishes most of the time, unfortunately.

Also, I have read that with a tank being as big as yours, a 10 gal fuge isn't really going to help much, you'll need to use something a lot bigger.
Old 06/10/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

I thought the same, but figured 10 gallons of water was better than nothing, and all I could fit in my stand without taking my whole tank down.
Old 06/10/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

I'm using the Korallin 3002 but am still dialing it in. It is working though because the effluent is testing at 0. I guess a 240g with 8 large tangs is gonna take a while before I see 0 in my tank.
Old 06/11/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

put this http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_sea...Text=denitrate in phos reactor, if not enough, then get more reactors
Old 06/16/2007, 03:01 AM
Premium Member

i use one
Old 06/16/2007, 11:42 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by nava405
put this http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_sea...Text=denitrate in phos reactor, if not enough, then get more reactors
Cost you more money to replace the media each month.
Old 06/16/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Sulfur based denitrators are the best choice and are used by large public aquariums. Cheapest solution for the long run.
A little cheaper than Korallin:
http://www.midwestaquatic.com/produc...%20DeNITRIFIER
Old 06/16/2007, 01:40 PM
Premium Supreme Member

There is a thread on RC that have someone using a sulfur denitrator. You should look it up. He seems to have good success with it.