Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Feedback on 75G Stocking list, please

I'd just like to run this stocking plan past the experts out there. Thanks in advance.

As I said, it's a 75G tank. For corals, I plan on putting mostly LPS in it I'm currently cycling my Q tank, so I've got a couple of weeks before I get fish #1.

My preference is toward peaceful fish. I'll have enough to think about keeping acans and echinos from beating on each other without mobile animals getting into fights!

OK, on to the list:
1 Blenny - tailspot or starry, preferably
1 Blue Assessor (Assessor McNeily)
3-5 Orange Lined Cardinals (Apogon Cyanosoma)

As far as stocking order goes, I'd thought that the order given above would make sense, but I'm not committed to it.

I know that Blennys can be risky with LPS - people seem to have decent luck with the tailspots not nipping, but I know that individuals vary.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 06/20/2007, 08:14 PM
Anemone Freak

My wife loves her tailspot she wouldn't trade him for the world. He doesn't nip at softies or LPS, but she doesn't have any SPS so couldn't let you know there.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

I hate to say it, but for a peaceful tank, you can't really beat false perc clowns. Great to watch, always out and about. Yes I know, this is the typical nemo, but they are great fish. If you don't want the typical orange ones, I'd go black oc clowns. those look pretty cool.

Purple fire fish are pretty cool too but jumpers so I hear.
Old 06/21/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I've thought about black false percs as well.

Fire fish would be cool - I've thought about how to get the tank jumper-proofed already, but I've also heard that blennies can sometimes bully similar shaped fish.

thanks for the feedback, guys!
Old 06/21/2007, 05:15 PM
Flowalicious

If it was my tank (and I'm setting up a 72...so...) I'd up it to like 10 cardinals.
Old 06/21/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Your list sounds good and should work great.
I'm with Rich on the point of adding more fish, The Assessors can be kept in small groups also( I have 1 Blue and 2 Yellow in a 65), and the Clown idea sounds pretty good as well (Pair of Percs in the 65 too, also a firefish and a tailspot, 9 fish total)
You definately have room for more and as long as you stay with peacefull small fish you will really enjoy your tank.
Have fun, Chris
Old 06/21/2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

i used to have some orange stripes and they started picking on each other.

i think the blue eyed one's might be a better bet.

the orange stripes eat like pigs.
Old 06/22/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I was thinking about groups of both the assessor and the cardinals, but wasn't sure I'd have the bio-load capacity. It's good to know that that plan would leave me understocked. It's also good to see a tailspot and a firefish getting along. It seems like the tailspot is a fairly peaceful blennie all around.

John, I'm glad to hear from someone who's kept the orange stripes; I just wish you weren't reporting aggression. Was this in your 72? How many did you have, and how bad were they picking on each other? Was it a little chasing, or were some individuals bullied into hiding and kept from eating?

thanks again!
Old 06/22/2007, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

i didnt' have a 72. under my current tanks is the dimensions of mine. it's 225gal.

but anyways, they were in a 60 gal.