Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2004, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

heres mine
Old 01/13/2004, 04:39 PM
VILP

fishome25 - Very nice Warty! How big is he? I see you have a 180-gallon reef tank - is that where he is? Does he have tankmates?

Cheri
Old 01/14/2004, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

no he isn't in my reef. and he is alone. and for sale.
Old 01/16/2004, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Nice site Lefty! Interesting glass creations too..... :0
Old 01/17/2004, 02:04 AM
PKSN

Quote:
Originally posted by njmar1
Nice site Lefty! Interesting glass creations too..... :0
Thanks! I am updating the site this weekend, hopefully, with some video of my cuttlefish eating.

Hehehe, I made a glass brine shrimp...
Old 01/17/2004, 10:03 PM
Professional somedays

Here's my new fishy... Bowsah the Fuggly

Old 01/18/2004, 09:36 AM
VILP

Genetics - gorgeous fish and a cute name! I saw an identical frogfish at a LFS near me a few days ago. I was trying to figure out what in the ocean environment would have been black with gold dots that the fish was trying to blend with...that has me stumped. Do you know what species of frogfish yours is?

Cheri
Old 01/18/2004, 12:43 PM
Professional somedays

The fish store was very vague on what species it really was. All they know is that it is from the pacific. It looks like a longure or a painted frogfish. I am trying to figure what to get for the tank to keep it with yellow dots and black. I think he's going to turn a brown/pink color but I like him better the color he was.
Old 01/18/2004, 12:49 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Genetics, if its same with the picture that i posted then its a picta

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 01/18/2004, 01:33 PM
Professional somedays

Yeah it is the exact same guy. Do you know the species name as well? Bowsah the Fuggly Picta!
Old 01/18/2004, 01:41 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

sorry i was wrong not picta, its an Antennarius pictus

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 01/18/2004, 02:05 PM
Professional somedays

Family: Antennariidae (Frogfishes)
Order: Lophiiformes (anglerfishes)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
It's a painted angler! Yea~ Now how do I make him stay black or turn red? I really like the black and don't know how to keep him that way.
Old 01/18/2004, 02:14 PM
D00D

FROGIFSH FEEDING BREAKTHROUGH (for me anyways)

every frogfish that i ever owned never ate frozen, they always ate ghost shrimp. so oneday i figured heck im gonna get a bunch of frozen ghost shrimp and see if he likes em. he snatched em up so hastily i couldnt believe so anybody who is stressing over the food issue buy mass quantities of ghost shrimp freeze em, and then ur set for a couple weeks. i hope. it worked for me.
Old 01/18/2004, 02:28 PM
D00D

"Frogfish are so cool. It would be good if they had their own forum, but I'm not sure their is enough frogfish owners."

Algae blenny i have already tried this idead with reefcentral to no avail they said it would do fine on the fish only forum, but i think we should try it again so far throught this thread i have seen about 5 people who hadnt owned frogfish that now want frogfish. however i think that if we can keep these kind of posts going we might have a chance. i mean this thread is 9 pages long!!!!! i will soon ad to it this week when i get my new yellow and purple wartskin.

so keep it up guys
Old 01/18/2004, 02:33 PM
Professional somedays

I think if we had a forum that there would be many more people involved with anglers. I didn't even know they existed until two weeks ago. Now I have a painted angler, there awesome. Also, it would help with angler care. As I had to tell one of the guys at the lfs not to lift him out of the water. I wish I had a better camera, or if this guy would move to another side of the tank I probably could get a better shot.
Old 01/18/2004, 02:54 PM
D00D

yeah i had told 2 different fish stores not to take it out of the water

"oh no we do it all the time it will be fine" they told me but sure enough it was inflated like a balloon and floated to the surface of my aquarium, i was so ****ed i had to get on the phone and explain to them exactly why you dont take it out of the water and that im never gonna buy i thing from them again if they do something that stupid. i mean honestly how hard is it to listen to your customers?

anyway the moral of the story is that should be granted with the privelage of a frog forum we could educate people and entice people to buy these magnificent creatures.
Old 01/18/2004, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Wee Man,I thought the purpose of feeding frozen food was to save money.If you buy the ghostshrimp and then freeze them, how are you saving money?
Old 01/18/2004, 03:01 PM
D00D

your not but atleast you dont have to run to the lfs every other day to get shrimp
Old 01/18/2004, 03:50 PM
Professional somedays

you could keep the shrimp in an airated gallon, I do. I think the frozen idea is a great one. He has gotten the fish to start taking frozen ghost shrimp. The next step would be to get it to take other frozen foods.
Old 01/18/2004, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I recommend frozen silversides, mine would not eat anything else till I tried them.He eats them like candy now!
Old 01/18/2004, 06:45 PM
I'm Not Creative

is there a good source that explains the differences between the different types of anglers? i am getting confused. to painted frogfish, and warty skin frogfish both change colors, or am I totally wrong. I have been trying to follow along, but get so turned around about some of this stuff. thanks all, this tread is awesome, you can count n a vote from me for an angler forum.

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 01/18/2004, 07:05 PM
D00D

all frogfishs have the ability to change color. the wartskin frogfish and painted frogfish are relatively similar the onyl difference between the two is that the wartskin has warty skin and a different lure. they both grow to about 4 inchs and are probably the best candidate for nano reef systems.

the color change ability comes from small cells in the skin called CHROMATAPHORES these cells act like muscels expanding or contracting to show different colors. these cells are present in other animals such as octpus, squid and chameleons.

the best source for frogfishs is in REF FISHES VOL 1

it is a must have for any fish keeper especially those with forgfishs as it has an entire chapter devoted to them and its species.

if you want me too i will type up portions of the book on the subjects that are confusing you.
Old 01/18/2004, 08:14 PM
I'm Not Creative

thanks wee man. That helps clear stuff up a lot. I will have to go purchase that book.

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 01/18/2004, 11:07 PM
D00D

so should we propose the frogfish forum idea i mean heck i would start paying to support it.
Old 01/19/2004, 05:07 PM
Professional somedays

I don't think a forum of that size would really need any funding. I mean it's all php code. Would take a few minutes for the admin to create a forum.

Question, would it be alright if I stuck a 4 inch trigger with a 3 inch frogfish? Would they fight?