Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2007, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by solbby
The whole tendency to name corals after oneself and market them such that they command an exorbitant price disgusts me. How arrogant! but I am sure that I am a minority in my thoughts that such behavior is a detriment to the hobby in general.
This must be some of that 'sparsely unfounded animosity' that other guy was talking about.

So...good doctor, how is captively propogating attractive coral detrimental to the hobby. Please feel free to elaborate on how else this disgusts you. Which, by the way, is extremely arrogant on your part
Old 10/16/2007, 03:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesdawson
I met Steve for the first time at this years Bay Area Coral Farmers' Market and he is a very nice guy. I think his business efforts are successful, but I doubt he is rich. He mostly just struck me as a real nice hobbyist who got into the expansion of reefing early and has capitalized to a certain extent, but not lost his roots as a hobbyist.

James
Most folks don't realize this. He is a nice person.

Quote:
The whole tendency to name corals after oneself and market them such that they command an exorbitant price disgusts me. How arrogant! but I am sure that I am a minority in my thoughts that such behavior is a detriment to the hobby in general.
Actually this has been going on for some 10 plus years or so. It is actually what DROVE the "hobby" in the early years, and unfortunately, this has been lost over the years. The desire to keep SPS and hunt down the best of the best started in So-Cal and has led us to where we are now. Check out the dates on his his first website (April 1998). He used to sell corals on that website a long time ago.
http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/

If this behavior is detrimental to the "hobby", it would have wrecked it a long time ago.
Old 10/16/2007, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Echidna09
I agree that I don't like the naming of corals
I don't either, but it's the first things folks ask about. I prefer scientific names, but admittedly, using common names are much easier for people to deal with.
Old 10/16/2007, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

I think the market dictates the price, not the farmer. If his corals weren't just a little different than the rest, in all reality they just wouldn't sell.

I am one of those freaks that happens to like his corals and have around 20 of them now. I only purchase the ones that you really can't get anywhere else. If I could find another coral that looks exactly like the Purple Monster at a fraction of the price, I would buy it. As it stands, there are no no others that look like his does, so the real deal is what I have.

I guess I just figure if he can get those prices for his stuff, why not do it. The market is more to blame for the prices than him.
Old 10/16/2007, 07:40 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by broke1
The market is more to blame for the prices than him.
Precisely!

Frankly, if you don't like him putting his name on the corals and calling them LE then it's very simple, don't buy them! I happen to think most of the corals he tracks down are very desirable and beautiful, plus they are aquacultured which is a major plus...
Old 10/16/2007, 08:50 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

I think people are overlaping two different areas of thought here. It's one thing to name something like the purple monster, to have a lineage, etc. Let's face it, we just don't see corals like that come in very often, if at all. On the other hand, when an establishment gets a coral, slaps a "rare blueberry with a twist" name on it, and announces impending "release dates" for frags (essentially hyping the coral), when I see pant loads of the same cultured coral at all the LFS, then IMO this establishment is doing nothing to further the keeping of rare and desireable corals, and is simply trying to make a bigger buck (which, BTW, is completely their right).

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/16/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
I think people are overlaping two different areas of thought here. It's one thing to name something like the purple monster, to have a lineage, etc. Let's face it, we just don't see corals like that come in very often, if at all. On the other hand, when an establishment gets a coral, slaps a "rare blueberry with a twist" name on it, and announces impending "release dates" for frags (essentially hyping the coral), when I see pant loads of the same cultured coral at all the LFS, then IMO this establishment is doing nothing to further the keeping of rare and desireable corals, and is simply trying to make a bigger buck.
Agreed . That is part of knowing who you are buying from. There are plenty of folks using "rare" in their descriptions when the coral is not "rare" at all. It gets a little old but I just move on. I like what I like.

My favorite coral in my tank has been around for at least 6-7 years and is widely distributed, it doesn't have the LE distinction but it does have a lineage that goes back a ways. I also love many of my LE corals, I have picked the corals I have for aesthetics and hardineess as well as for trading value. I have had a blast trading with people and getting a more diverse collection.

I find that a lot of the corals Steve has tracked down are quite hardy and beautiful. What a great combo . This seems like it can only help the hobby. I figure that 95% of the sps corals in my tanks are 95% from other peoples tanks. This is pretty cool. I prefer this to wild caught pieces, just my preference.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

No one has mentioned Steve's methods at all. I find that discouraging considering he was a pioneer in this. I spent an hour late night last night actually reading over some of his methodologies as I couldn't sleep. Very cool stuff! Some of it I find to be "radical bs"(my thoughts), but some it I find merit in and incorporate it into what I do. It seems he is a very creative reefkeeper and he does so successfully....very respectable.

One side note......most of the Tyree peices didnt "come" from other's tanks. Ask yourself this: Where did the coral come from before it was in that person's tank? THEY ALL CAME FROM THE OCEAN AT SOME POINT....the coral didn't just sprout up spontaneously in anyone's tank one day!

Now I am off to bid on the miami hurricane chalice that is around 260 bucks! (yeah right)
Old 10/16/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
No one has mentioned Steve's methods at all. I find that discouraging considering he was a pioneer in this. I spent an hour late night last night actually reading over some of his methodologies as I couldn't sleep. Very cool stuff! Some of it I find to be "radical bs"(my thoughts), but some it I find merit in and incorporate it into what I do. It seems he is a very creative reefkeeper and he does so successfully....very respectable.

One side note......most of the Tyree peices didnt "come" from other's tanks. Ask yourself this: Where did the coral come from before it was in that person's tank? THEY ALL CAME FROM THE OCEAN AT SOME POINT....the coral didn't just sprout up spontaneously in anyone's tank one day!

Now I am off to bid on the miami hurricane chalice that is around 260 bucks! (yeah right)
I agree. I have spent hours reading on cryptic zones and natural filtration. To a point we all have cryptic zones in our tank, we just don't see them. I am setting up to establish one from an extra tank, and one of his kits.

The is one thing I really like about him, he will sell you the sponges, squirts, etc that it takes to duplicate his "type" of tank and tell you how to do it.

He could very well keep it all a secret, but doesn't. That's not to say you will end up with exactly what he has, but you could. He might have just ended up with something that came together perfectly by accident, but he knew what pieces to add where to get a result that nobody else really has, yet.
Old 10/16/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

now i have a new question some one has spoken of diffrent methods he uses would any one no what some of these are? and thanks every one for all this great info
Old 10/16/2007, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Look up "Natural Cryptic Filtration " or "benthic zone".

http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/publishmain.htm

You can read for hours on this stuff.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t=cryptic+zone
Old 10/16/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mandm25254
now i have a new question some one has spoken of diffrent methods he uses would any one no what some of these are? and thanks every one for all this great info

I am not sure if he still does this....that and he has multiple tanks. One thing different he does in at least one of his tanks is he runs skimmerless.

SKIMMERLESS
Old 10/16/2007, 10:56 PM
OMAS VP

I know he goes into depth talking about his ways of farming.He was just here Saturday and he is a very nice guy.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Serioussnaps,
I am well aware that corals are from the OCEAN...but thanks for reminding all of us .
Old 10/17/2007, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

lets face it Steve is an OG in the reefkeeping hobby. successfully pioneering a lot of the methods we all use in our own reef tanks. much respect to a man who helped get this hobby off the ground and make it so popular. much of the basic knowledge we all utilize in this hobby was discovered, refined, and made common practice by this man. essentially he made reefing possible to the non-scientific aquatic life loving layman currently in the hobby today.
Thanks Steve for all the hard work time, money and stress you put up with to make it all possible for me and a myriad of others.
I agree that applying a fruity name and limited edition nomenclature and release dates to some corals, unnecessarily ups the price of said corals, but its simply supply and demand. he doesnt set the price for his corals; you and I and the rest of the market does by bidding on them and setting that price. its not steves fault, but the anxious reefers that HAVE to be the first one or one of the first to have that particular coral.
now what i dont like is when people overcharge for a coral. (i do realize its their perogative, and i dont have to buy it, just making a point so bare with me) knowing that a coral is limited and rather hard to find some charge almost double for it. and what does that do...of course the guy who buys it is gonna want to sell his frags of that coral for the same price, if not more than what he got it for. do yo usee how this just make the hobby more expensive?
i am all for trading corals LE or not. IMHO limited is only limited cause people dont want to spread it around. wouldnt be so limited if folks would barted a little more and sell a little less. there have been a number of corals that have been totally lost to the world cause the few people that had them kept them to themselves and not spread it around to other hobbiests, very unfortunate. if i get a special coral i like to frag it as soon as i can and get it out to a few friends at leaste, so that if i loose my colony it isnt totally lost forever. farming helps keep the hobby alive, and steve tyree is one of the best if not the best coral farmer around.
people are going to continue to set outragous prices for corals to make a hot dollar, and there is nothing/no one to stop them, but thats their hustle. all you can do is not buy into the hype. if to you a coral isnt worth the price you see it for, dont buy it. but rest assured another will. but hey to each his own...cant hate the player, hate the game right. anyway sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents.
thanks again Steve.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Maybe he'll throw you a free frag or two for you nice comments....!!!

I think you great to Steve.....count me in on the comment above!!
2 - True Bali RBTA - 6, and 8 inches i think
Sweet Green Carpet - 12 inches
Old 10/17/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
Serioussnaps,
I am well aware that corals are from the OCEAN...but thanks for reminding all of us .

For some strange reason, people think Steve Tyree's corals spontaneously arose out of somones tank...most are just corals that all the lucky folks in Cali get coming in from wholesalers etc... Anyways, I have hit my post limit for a "tyree" thread.
Old 10/17/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps

Good point,

He is also an innovator in methodologies! I also ran a skimmerless tank 5 years ago with an ATS, but I found the move to SPS to0 difficult without a skimmer. Big kudos to Steve or anyone that can get SPS to thrive w/o a skimmer.

James
Old 10/17/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

James,

I was informed that the reason he does this so successfully without a skimmer is he also does it without fish. I am 100% I could run an SPS tank without a skimmer if I had no fish at all.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:48 PM
Madrepore Zealot

Although I have been dry for awhile, I still get on this board often. Tyree is a marketing genius, he also knows what people will pay. This has been an acey-ducey discussion for 7 years that I'm aware of. IMO you have 3 options:

Buy from Steve - A good thing
Do your homework and find where he got his - A better thing.
Find your own - The best thing.

This industry has more than its fair share of OCD folks, me being one. If your OCD enough, you can search for the original reefer that owned the piece prior to Steve - all the info you need is right on this board I did it.

There are a very cool bunch of folks that own the originals, or know who has the original of what your looking for. I had tons of them and I lived in East TN.

If you do your homework, you can find your piece outside reeffarmers. If you demand the "I bought it from Tyree" label (which I was a recipient on numerous occasions) then jump on it.

I found more ST pieces from the original owner than I ever got from Steve. On the other hand, I got a lot of little red coolers too. ;D

In the end it does not matter. If you find what you are looking for then you are temporarily sated. As we all know, they will all be white one day anyway. The fun part is meeting folks that love what you do and learning how to reef. It ain't he said she said.
Old 10/17/2007, 04:44 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by easttn
Although I have been dry for awhile, I still get on this board often. Tyree is a marketing genius, he also knows what people will pay. This has been an acey-ducey discussion for 7 years that I'm aware of. IMO you have 3 options:

Buy from Steve - A good thing
Do your homework and find where he got his - A better thing.
Find your own - The best thing.

This industry has more than its fair share of OCD folks, me being one. If your OCD enough, you can search for the original reefer that owned the piece prior to Steve - all the info you need is right on this board I did it.

There are a very cool bunch of folks that own the originals, or know who has the original of what your looking for. I had tons of them and I lived in East TN.

If you do your homework, you can find your piece outside reeffarmers. If you demand the "I bought it from Tyree" label (which I was a recipient on numerous occasions) then jump on it.

I found more ST pieces from the original owner than I ever got from Steve. On the other hand, I got a lot of little red coolers too. ;D

In the end it does not matter. If you find what you are looking for then you are temporarily sated. As we all know, they will all be white one day anyway. The fun part is meeting folks that love what you do and learning how to reef. It ain't he said she said.
I couldn't have said it better myself
Old 10/17/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

i have a quick question is steve in this thread?
Old 10/17/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

so nice
Old 10/17/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

i have a quick question is steve in this thread?

No.
This is the tale that was told to me by the man with the crystal eye, As I smoked my pipe in the camp-fire light, and the Glories swept the sky; As the Northlights gleamed and curved and streamed, and the bottle of "hooch" was dry. -Robert Service
Old 10/17/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Another thing I don't like is Tyree seems to get all his pieces from a handful of reefers. How can those reefers have all the luck? There are TONS of other, sometimes nicer looking corals out there that aren't LEs , but they don't get sold for nearly as much as the Tyree ones.