Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 08/16/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

ponape birdsnest

my frag just took a nose dive and i just wanted to know if anyone has had issues with them? anyone got any frags for sale of em?
Old 08/16/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

why did it die? i have a 1.5 inch frag (sorry not for sale) and everyone says to keep it in low light and in little to no flow but i have mine in good flow and at the botom of my tank but it gets direct light and to tell you the truth its doin awsome! its got good pink tips and heavy full green body .
Old 08/16/2007, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

well i had a tank leak and it was esposed to air for about 30mins or so and it didnt take it well.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

http://www.yourreef.com/spsFrags.html

Tell John I referred you.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

i think why ppl say no to little flow is cuz algae grow on it.. it did with mine until i moved it
Old 08/17/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

I keep my Tyree Ponape Bird. mid way up in good light and flow.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08/17/2007, 02:21 PM
Grand High Puba

I've heard that birds nests burn when exposed to air so that may be the cause.
Old 08/17/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

"I've heard that birds nests burn when exposed to air so that may be the cause."

That's an interesting theory. I took my birdsnest colony out of my tank one day and all the tips turned white. I figured I had soap or something on my hands. The next time I removed it I used gloves and it was fine. I might have agreed with you the first time due to what happened but it was unaffected when I used gloves so I'm not sure the air theory works unless there is a time factor involved.
Old 08/17/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Interesting thread. I have one that is doing less than stellar. Fo the most part it's my fault. I pulled it out of the tank to move some stuff around and forgot about it for close to 15 minutes. The theory on burning is viable and it now has substantial algae growth on it. It's so brittle and weak I'm afraid to touch it. It was just starting to color up when I made my stupid mistake.

Is there anything that be done to this.

Rawbomb, if this happens to bounce back I have no trouble fragging it, but it won't be soon as you can see.
Old 08/17/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I had my bird out of the water when I moved a few corals around and when I re glued it to some new rock. It was out of the water til the crazy glue gel set approx. 30 seconds with no ill effects. Many acropora species are exposed to the air and baking sun during low tide on reef flats with out damage. There is a video of it.
Old 08/17/2007, 07:39 PM
Grand High Puba

I have had mine out of the water for 30 seconds on a number of occasions. I am only saying that they can burn because the reefer who gave it to me said this. I personally have no experience or evidence to back it up, it just came to mind.
Old 08/17/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

birdnest like lots of water flow, and the ponape likes medium lights. I had a small frag about 8 months ago and now its a whole colony ... will be fragging soon who want to get in line ???
Old 08/18/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

Wow that last pic looks like you were trying to smoke it lol.
Old 08/18/2007, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pepeinthenavy
Wow that last pic looks like you were trying to smoke it lol.
I know it's pretty sad looking. It's still alive, but barely hanging on. It's so brittle I'm afraid to even try scrubbing the algae off.
Old 08/18/2007, 01:27 PM
clownfish fan

Broke1 that was dead in the first pic 15 minutes out of the water for sps is just fine. they can be exposed to air much longer.
Old 08/18/2007, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

I'd like to get in line for your ponape birdsnest Northbay Reefer!!
Old 08/18/2007, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
Broke1 that was dead in the first pic 15 minutes out of the water for sps is just fine. they can be exposed to air much longer.
As much as I would like to agree with you, it really isn't. You can't see it in the picture, but it is pink. It has one new part growing right now. If you look just to the left of the tall dead part you will see the part that wasn't there last week. I take pictures alot to document growth.

Last edited by broke1; 08/18/2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08/18/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about what happened. I keep mine in the middle of the tank ..

Old 08/18/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member.

nice coral...
Old 08/19/2007, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Here is what was sold to me as a Tyree Ponape. This is not my picture, actually borrowed from 250G(hope doesn't mind). It was starting to look pretty similar to this until I "smoked" it.

Is this the same coral as the colorful ones shown in this thread?

Old 08/19/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

That looks like the real deal to me. The ponape also exhibits a greenish color to it. Real nice corals. Coloring will also depend on lighting, placement, person running anything different in tank that you are not.

I know that corals stay out in the wold, but remember, our corals have adapted themselves to living in an aquarium and I now of no aquarium that simulates high tide and low tide by exposing their entire top shelf to the halides. 30 minutes is a very long time, you should always minimize exposure to the least possible to avoid stress.

Here is mine, about 4" inches off bottom under 250XM's

Old 08/19/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

can i get inline for a frag also ?
what a beauty!!
Old 08/19/2007, 05:56 PM
Makin it Rain

here is mine

close up
Old 08/20/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

mine was out for about 15mins along with 5-6 other acros and the only one that was messed up was this piece.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

I thought I would dig this back up to show my "smoked" piece isn't dead and slowly making a recovery. I purchased a second piece just in case, so it looks like I have two now.