Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/11/2008, 09:24 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Question Union questions....

I need to clean out my Hammerhead closed loop pump. I do not want to dismount it, and I especially do not want to open it up. I'd like to just pump vinegar through it in a loop using a small pump.

What I'd like to do is close the true union valves (I have one on the outlet and inlet). Then I'd like to disconnect the union closest to the pump for each valve. So once disconnected, each pump fitting will simply have a half a union hanging off it. Then just attach fittings to these half unions, to a bucket/pump with vinegar.

Here's my question:

Can I connect any half union to the half already in place? Are the unions standardized in their threads?

In other words, will the half union (sch 80) attached to the pump connect properly to a random matching half union purchased at HD (sch 40)?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 01/11/2008, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

The threads are not standard accross manufacturers. You should be ok with unions from the same manufacturer as your true union valves. Worst case, you can purchase the same brand and size of unions that are already in use and attach them to your bucket.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

A second note... make sure your bucket is large enough to prevent the pump sucking air AND ALSO has enough volume to keep the heat in check.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:58 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

That's kind of what I thought. OK, I'll do a quick check with the HD unions this weekend. If they don't fit, I'll find unions by the same manufacturer.

BTW, I think you misunderstood what I'm planning. The hammerhead won't be turned on. A small remote pump in the bucket, plumbed onto the hammerhead, will be doing the work, circulating the vinegar.

LOL, OMG, if I turned on the hammerhead, I'd get vinegar splashing out of the bucket probably to the ceiling!!

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 01/11/2008, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

I have cleaned my T4 with a vinegar closed loop... of course I made a mess.