Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

PE?'s

I have had several sps and acros for round 6 months now and though I see exellent growth and color none of them seem to show any polyp extension. I think that maybe the elibi angle in the tank might be picking at them. any ideas?
params
sali; .125
phos; less than one
nitrate; less than one
cal: 400
alk: 8
temp; 75

There is temperature swing in the tank every night of about 3 degrees but i dont think this is the cause
Old 01/04/2008, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

temp swing was a problem in my tank that made my sps not too happy. i had a steady temp of 81 for a full week and they did much better then it started to swing 3-4 degree and they lost some pe and color..so that could be your problem what kinds of fish do you keep? one might be apicker. hope you solve your problem!

good luck
Old 01/04/2008, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

I have a false/true perc pair one royal gramma and one elibi sp? angle i have seen the angle pick at my fastest growing acro but it has the best extension? huh, i'll get a better heater today before work and see if it helps if not I may have to remove the angle or just live with it they are growing well.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

if theyre growing well i would just let it be..maybe someone elsehas more info?...good luck
Old 01/04/2008, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

it may very well be the angel nipping.i had an elibi angel and he pounded my sps and had to be taken back to the store.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:29 PM
PNWMAS member

I had a pygmy angel do the same thing.

THERE IS ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN!!

240 build in the works!.....(slowly)
Old 01/05/2008, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Well no doubt now thats the cause banished the angle to the sump for the 6 hrs i was at work and come home to find my corals fuzzier than ive ever seen them. Meh, anyone want an angle ha ha ha
Old 01/05/2008, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

It's not natural for the Polyps to come out during the day. But at night you should be seeing some PE.

If your corals are healthy and you want PE, take out all your fish, especially any Angels, take out the snails/hermits and whatever else that may come into contact with the corals causing them to retract....Then you will have a tank full of PE life but nothing else....

Personally, I would rather see fish swim through the SPS during the day than have amazing PE.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:41 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by Flyfisherman
If your corals are healthy and you want PE, take out all your fish, especially any Angels, take out the snails/hermits and whatever else that may come into contact with the corals causing them to retract....Then you will have a tank full of PE life but nothing else....

That's a bit dramatic

I have plenty of fish, snails, shrimps, crabs, etc. and great PE. Just no dwarf angels (I too learned through experience )

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 01/07/2008, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Well took the angle back on saturday and my slimers and birdsnests look like they finally should the acros are even showing a little axial pe. thank for all your help

Vance