Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2006, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

Dipping pffffft what's the point of dipping?

In all seriousness you and Clint's tragedy has been an extensive learning experience. I know it sucks to lose suck lovely corals, but the in info you've passed of to others on dipping and treatment is priceless. See you both tomorrow!

John
Old 12/16/2006, 08:05 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
OK, this is both weird and wonderful. As you all know, lettuce nudibranchs are hard to keep around due to their short life span, and even more so, due to their tendency to find the overflows, powerheads and other locations not favorable to their survival.
I haven't seen any of mine in several weeks now.

And bravo for dipping!!!
Old 12/16/2006, 09:43 AM
I brake for sps

Mike,

I plan on taking a bucket, small powerhead, small heater and maybe a dead acro to the meeting so we can demonstrate our procedure. Do you have a magnifying glass by chance?
Old 12/16/2006, 11:44 AM
Team RC Member

Bax - Those little suckers are definitely high-maintenance if you want to keep them around. Yours might show up, as they can easily get lost in the aquascape or behind a coral colony like the ones you have.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishypets
Mike,

I plan on taking a bucket, small powerhead, small heater and maybe a dead acro to the meeting so we can demonstrate our procedure. Do you have a magnifying glass by chance?
I might be able to dig one up somewhere ...
Old 12/16/2006, 01:05 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I am not convinced they are gone for good either
Old 12/16/2006, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Bax,
I just read your "Interests:" - That is hilarious!!! Let us know how it works out!!
Old 12/16/2006, 03:28 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

They just don't seem to get it.

They just keep on crapping and crapping, and making a mess.

Kids!
Old 12/20/2006, 03:13 PM
Team RC Member

It seems that I'm not the only one who is enjoying the new 12K ReefLux bulb I recently installed over my tank. The algae are soaking it up, and I've had quite the outbreak of bryopsis once again. The glass is filming over about 3x as fast as it did before, and in fact all of the nuissance algae is again beginning to proliferate, despite the Deltec skimmer. I've cut back the photoperiod of the MH by 1 hour. I wanted to cut back more, but we're having company for the holidays and I want the lights to be on and the tank to look nice (hard to look nice with all of that algae, though). I'm sure I'll pay the price by having to prune a few times, but I'll cut back the photoperiod further once my in-laws leave. Otherwise, nothing major to report. Just looking forward to next year when I will again add acros to the tank.
Old 12/21/2006, 11:07 PM
I brake for sps

Mike,

Your guest won't know the difference between the corals and the nuisance algae, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12/22/2006, 09:03 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by fishypets
Mike,

Your guest won't know the difference between the corals and the nuisance algae, so I wouldn't worry about it.
That's so true!

My tank was covered in hair algae and I still got rave reviews from the non-reefing visitors.

I still have a bit of hair algae, but it does look pretty good right now.
Old 12/26/2006, 12:57 PM
Team RC Member

fishypets and Bax - You guys were exactly right. The first thing my father-in-law told me was that my tank's looking really nice. And I can't hardly stand to look at it. With guests and the holiday I haven't found the time to prune back all of the GHA and bryopsis that continues to grow. Due to his comment (which was shared by my mother-in-law as well) I've cut back the MH photoperiod by another hour, so it now runs 8 hr/day.

I must have been good this year. My wonderful wife got me the Deltec skimmer (it's now officially a gift from her), a Tunze nanostream 6055 (on back-order), a Tunze single controller for the nanostream, and Scott Michael's 3-volume set on reef fishes.

In other news, my baby lettuce nudi has now grown to about 1/2 of full size. All of the fish and corals are healthy and happy. The SCWD has decided not to switch, and the water is continuously flowing from only 1 of the returns. This has happened in the past, and it resolved on its own, so I'm not going to freak out about it. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the 1" SCWD, and if this product does not become available very soon, I'm going to change to an OceansMotions Squirt for my closed loop.
Old 12/26/2006, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Hi Dudester et all,

I'm thinking of going with one 10K and one 12K Reeflux 250W in my 120. I have no supplements.

What would you suggest as far as photo period to help eliminate new algae growth?

I was running 12 Hr on 12 Hr off but am slowly moving to 8 Hr instead.

Any suggestion would be appreciated

TIA
Old 12/27/2006, 09:33 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I just got two of Tunze 6025 nanos I was going to use them on a wavemaker in my prop section.

I've cut my MH back to 8 hours and I think it has helped with the HA. It is still quite persistent.

Soak the SCWD in warm vinegar water , if possible hook it up to a small PH too, it should be working in no time.
Old 12/27/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Gary,

If you run both a 12k and a 10k one side of your tank will be much bluer than the other. The 12k and 10k have quite a difference and if I was in your shoes, would decide on a pair of one or the other.

Bax,

Careful running the 6025's on a wavemaker. We have a couple of them running and they are very noisy starting up. The magnet has to spin the right way then they get silent but I imagine these pumps are not made to work on a wavemaker.

Mike,

Merry Christmas buddy! How many days do we have left before you can start putting acros in your tank again?

John
Old 12/27/2006, 01:49 PM
Team RC Member

Gary - I agree with the dude, pick one and go with it. I personally like the color of the 12K and feel that it has plenty of blue, even without supplemental lighting.

Bax - Thanks for the suggestion, but since it's such a PITA to remove, I'll let the SCWD work its way out by itself. There's nothing in my tank right now that requires random or chaotic flow to promote growth, so I'm not very concerned about it. I hope that the next time I remove the SCWD it will be for good, and as I mentioned, I'll either be installing a 1" SCWD or a Squirt to replace it.

John - Merry x-mas right back at you, are you back in town? I removed the acros from my tank on 10/22, so 10 weeks to the day will land on New Year's Eve. I guess I'll put the first acropora into the tank on New Year's Day .
Old 12/27/2006, 01:51 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by thedude15810

Bax,

Careful running the 6025's on a wavemaker. We have a couple of them running and they are very noisy starting up. The magnet has to spin the right way then they get silent but I imagine these pumps are not made to work on a wavemaker.

John
I know they are not controllable, but I thought you could run them on wavemakers. Hmmm? I'll let you know if I have any troubles. I havn't even gotten them wet as yet.
Old 12/27/2006, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

What do you guys think?

I'm running 14K hamilton SE now without supp. To my eyes it looks like just a hint of blue.

Would the 12K Reeflux be much bluer than the 14K ?

If so I think the 10K would be better.

12K too blue or 10K too white.

Hate to be a pest but I don't want to end up buying four bulbs.

So please help me make up my mind. Iv'e read all I can stand about these bulbs. Just wish I knew which way to go. : > )

TIA
Old 12/27/2006, 04:47 PM
Team RC Member

I've never seen the 14K Hamilton SE, but I thought my Phoenix 14K DE was too blue. I love the color of the 12K ReefLux and I'm sure you'd be happy with it. The 12K should be whiter than the 14K Hamilton. It's not a permanent decision, since bulbs have to be changed at least annually anyway, so if you don't like it you can eventually switch, or change sooner and sell the "gently used" bulbs.

Since you've read all you can stand, and you want help making your mind, then I'd say get the ReefLux 12K.

Bax - I can't wait for my nanostream!!
Old 12/27/2006, 04:47 PM
Will work 4 corals

I just switched from the 10k to the 12k. I really didn't like the color of the 10k. Too yellow. I love the 12k though.

So shoot me!
Old 12/30/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Well I've spent the last couple weeks lurking through the 40+pgs and man what a wild ride. Hats off to dudester and fishypets both on documentation and endurance. I have no idea if my sw interests could survive a TTC of that magnitude, hopefully by reefing vicariously via RC I can avoid/minimize such disasters (knocking on wood while typing). Anyway Ive had some free 1" pvc land in my lap and the weldon has arrived. There will deffinately be games afoot once this anxious future reefer returns from Corpus Christi. (Maybe I should try a tour of the UT Marine Science Institute before I head back)
Old 12/30/2006, 10:28 AM
I brake for sps

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
I removed the acros from my tank on 10/22, so 10 weeks to the day will land on New Year's Eve. I guess I'll put the first acropora into the tank on New Year's Day

I've decided to go back with softies and GSP and some damsels for fish. This will be less stress and a ton cheaper.
Old 12/30/2006, 10:30 AM
I brake for sps

Rusty,

I'm glad our experience has shed some light. Are you in Corpus Christi now?
Old 12/30/2006, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Yup nice n rainy just in time for vacation!
Old 12/30/2006, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Actually Aransas Pass to be more exact the hotel here was MuCh cheaper and was willing to give a weekly rate.
Old 12/31/2006, 08:13 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I plugged in one of the 6025 Nano Streams in the prop area of my fuge. Very nice! This is not your typical 600 gph power head! I have not tried to operate it with a wavemaker yet, but the flow is very wide and diffused, not at all laminar.

Freaked a couple of my frags out at first, but they seem to be adapting after a day or two.

I wish I had these when I was running my 26 g bow.