Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/29/2006, 02:09 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Come on gang, the last thing I need right now is another bump.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shooter7
What Tom failed to tell you newbies is that he acquired that fracture while kicking some newbie keester!!
I think it was a hit by some disgruntled Newbie that actually followed by advise.

Goda,

Just place a Copy of my avatar at the store with a caption below it saying,

Not So Fast Newbie!!!

That should slow them down.

Tom
Old 07/31/2006, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Question

I really like the idea Tunze has of holding the PH in place with a magnet. Looks like that Sure Grip does just as good of a job - so were can you pick one of these up at?
Old 07/31/2006, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from Marine Depot.

Just don't stick the magnets together with nothing in between them by accident. You'll have a tough time getting them separated again
Old 08/01/2006, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

Islandcrow, cheers for the pointer, looks like a good site full of useful info.

WK, get well soon.
Old 08/01/2006, 05:39 PM
Bogus Information Expert

I go back to the hospital tomorrow so I may not be around for a few days. I hope you can cope without my decidedly magnetic personality.

Tom
Old 08/01/2006, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Hope it's nothing serious WK.

Ya got to know it's you magnetic personallity that keeps us coming back
Old 08/02/2006, 06:31 AM
Send money....

Quote:
Originally posted by funloven
I really like the idea Tunze has of holding the PH in place with a magnet. Looks like that Sure Grip does just as good of a job - so were can you pick one of these up at?
I got mine from Premium Aquatics. Go under the pumps/powerheads category, under that go into the maxijet selection, scroll down to the bottom of the maxijet selections and the Sure Grips are there. Also be sure not to have your finger tips between them when messing with them. I got mine on the edge between the two halves of a large Mag float recently and got pinched real good. Left a mark on my finger for over a week. btw, fyi...I have powerheads mounted on both mag floats and these Sure Grips. One thing that is a positive about the mag float is that it's much easier to adjust/move it around however you want. The Sure Grips don't slide around near as easy and seem to be geared more towards that you have to actually pull them apart and reposition rather than slide from one spot to another.
Old 08/03/2006, 12:33 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Beware the often lethal bite of the wild Reef Mag Float!

Tom
Old 08/03/2006, 12:36 PM
Send money....

Did they let you out already?
Old 08/03/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

WK's back! Hide the keg and untie Private Noob from his bunk!

-Mike C.
Old 08/04/2006, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the tip Shooter. I checked out Marine Depot and found them there. I'll check out Premium Aquatics also. I have ordered various things from both places.

I keep looking at my tank and trying to figure out where the best place would be for placing PH. I have a dual overflow/return and placed a 'T' on both of these and then off each side of the 'T' I added dual nozzles. My pump delivers about 1100 gph and so the return flow/pressure from this is divided up 8 ways which I am really concerned isn't enough for SPS corals.

Any ideas?
Old 08/05/2006, 10:06 AM
Bogus Information Expert

You might consider using a closed loop instead of the PH's Fun. It is easier to hide and you can use an external pump that creates less heat in the tank itself. Since heat and size is less of an issue you can always go with a larger pump.

Dave,

They haven't built a hospital yet that can hold me.

Tom
Old 08/05/2006, 10:59 AM
Send money....

Quote:
Originally posted by funloven
Thanks for the tip Shooter. I checked out Marine Depot and found them there. I'll check out Premium Aquatics also. I have ordered various things from both places.

I keep looking at my tank and trying to figure out where the best place would be for placing PH. I have a dual overflow/return and placed a 'T' on both of these and then off each side of the 'T' I added dual nozzles. My pump delivers about 1100 gph and so the return flow/pressure from this is divided up 8 ways which I am really concerned isn't enough for SPS corals.

Any ideas?
I have a Mag 12 return pump split to just two returns and it isn't anywhere near enough flow coming out of them. As WK said, you could consider a closed loop setup and have less clutter in the tank in the way of powerheads, but since your tank is already up and running, you wouldn't be able to drill for the openings and you'd have to employ some sort of PVC manifold setup going up and over the top of the tank for both the pump intake and the returns. I had my two Seios hanging on their brackets in the back corners and angled towards the center front of the tank. Trouble was that if I opened them up much at all, then the sand drifting would start. I've since placed one on a magnet on the side glass and opened it up full bore. I didn't have a second magnet yet so the other remained where it was. Something of interest here is that I've started getting a little algae down on the sand, but mostly on the end where I put that pump on the magnet because the other end is getting the full push of water flow blowing over it and there's hardly any algae there at all, whereas the other end isn't getting that flow yet and the algae is growing. Just got my second magnet yesterday and will be mounting the second Seio to provide stronger flow going that direction now. Your tank is a six footer though, two feet longer than mine, so you might have to employ additional pumps in the middle area to avoid having dead zones. Best thing to do is just keep messing with it. A good test I like, even though I'm not real big on watching my fish poo, but when my foxface cuts loose it's really something and to see that stuff get blasted apart and kicked up in the current lets me know it should be getting drained out of there and sent back to my skimmer to try and help get it out of there. So, try a combo of pumps and angling of your return nozzles, etc, to get something to where it looks like you've got flow everywhere.
Old 08/07/2006, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the imput WK and Shooter. It has really helped me make up my mind. Your right Shooter setting up a CL would be difficulty since my tank is up and running (I hate taking everything apart when I have my reef scape set up just the way I want it to look). So today I stopped at one of the LFS in my area and got my first Seio. I started with the 620 and figure that will be a good start from the back of the tank. They didn't have the Sure Grips so I will have to hang it OTB until I order one on-line.

Old 08/07/2006, 07:14 PM
Send money....

A 620?? C'mooonnnnnnnnn....get at least a 1500! I've got 2 1500's in a 4 ft tank, you can at least do that.
Old 08/08/2006, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

HI
i have one question to WaterKeeper

my lfs is offering cured LR
do i have to cure it again in my house
and what time does it take to cure the LR
Old 08/08/2006, 04:06 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Freak
[welcome]

The smeller's the feller in this case. Fully cured LR smells like the ocean for the most part with no odiferous emanations. If the LR is in a tank at the LFS it should smell pretty good. You can always ask them how long it has been in their own holding tanks. If it is a few weeks then the quality should be fine.

You can place it in the display as soon as you get it home. After about 3 days check ammonia and nitrite levels. If they are zero, or very very close, then the rock is indeed fully cured and there is not waiting period involved.

You may get a mild diatom and green algae outbreak but they should be mild and last only a week or two.

Do look for pretty good coralline algae coverage on the rock with no dead or dying encrusting sponge (dark black). A bonus is things like fan worms or hitchhiker corals growing on the rock.

Tom
Old 08/08/2006, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Hey funloven I have two Seio M1100's in my 90gallon reef. I tried a trick I learned from PatMayo and super glued the pumps to a MagFloat. It sure does make it easy to move them around when needed. I used the larger MagFloats just to make sure everything would hold. It has worked great for several weeks now.

John Martin
Old 08/09/2006, 06:44 AM
Send money....

Quote:
Originally posted by jdm01
Hey funloven I have two Seio M1100's in my 90gallon reef. I tried a trick I learned from PatMayo and super glued the pumps to a MagFloat. It sure does make it easy to move them around when needed. I used the larger MagFloats just to make sure everything would hold. It has worked great for several weeks now.
I tried hanging my 1500 on a large mag float, but it kept sliding down. The Sure Grips hold it rock steady though.
Old 08/22/2006, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

newbie help

WK.

First thanks for this great thread it has some wonderful info in it and damn funny also

Im moving into my new place next week and will soon be setting up my tank and have a couple questions for you.

My tank 30 gallon cube 20x20x20. Corallife 65 skimmer, closed loop water system ie Melevs, 110 watts compacts, two bags of agra-alive sand, uv sterilizer. 20 base rock.

My plan is to setup tank with the current items and as soon as the water gets settled I plan on adding 30lbs of premium live rock and about 20lbs of live sand. then wait for the tank to cycle. I would like to keep a pair of clowns and a anemone may some softies and lots of clean up crew stuff.

my questions are: during the cycle period will this be enough light or too much and how long per day should I have them on? Will this be enough light to keep the critters I want or will I need more? I found a 223watt fixture (175watt haloid with two24watt cps) that will fit my tank but dont want to get one if I dont have to. How long do I have to wait to add a clean up crew?

Thanks again for everything
Old 08/24/2006, 12:22 PM
Bogus Information Expert

If you stay with the softies that is plenty of light. The only light intensive critter you talk about is an anemone. For that you may be a bit shy on the watts. See Host Anemones for more.

Don't rush into things. Give those LR additions some time to fully cure and the tank to mature. A clown fish will do fine without a host if you find you want a low-medium light tank. The anemones are really not good beginner items and are somewhat hit or miss when the beginner adds one to their tank. I always suggest waiting a few months before acquiring one.

Tom
Old 08/24/2006, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Hi I have a question for Waterkeeper or anyone else who has some experience. I am also setting up my first tank, 90 gal 48 x18x24. I would like to eventually keep clams and some sps. Will two 150 HQI MH+ two 96 PC actinic be enough or do I have to go to 250W MH?
I don't want to get more than I need, but lighting is so expensive, I want this setup to last. I would hate to spend $700, just to find myself wanting to upgrade in six months.
Thanks.
Old 08/26/2006, 01:15 PM
Bogus Information Expert

With clams I'd op for the 250's as they are generally considered very light intensive. I also might consider using four 54 watt T-5's over the PC's but that is only a suggestion and either will work.

Tom
Old 09/13/2006, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Good to see this thread still around

Thanks WaterKeeper -- this and the other "newbie" threads are good reference material.
Old 09/15/2006, 11:17 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Now all I need do is see where this fragment came from. The link doesn't even go to the original thread. I think I'll merge it into the other continuation.

Ahh, I see Larry was working on the Please Look Here Before Posting Sticky and found this fragment.

Merged!!!

Tom