Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/26/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

octo question

Can a sponge coral be kept with an octopus?
Old 03/26/2006, 05:13 PM
I am Nano

Most corals cannot be kept with octos, because the octo will bury them while digging around in the sand. I wouldn't do it...
Old 04/02/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Sundance my self I would not be afraid of keeping any thing with your octopus as long as it won’t sting or put off toxins that could harm the octopus. I have kept Clove Polyps with mine. She has never bothered them. I have a fair amount of rock work which she has never tumbled over. I would say as most things it depends on the individual that you have. Now this is not fact only from what I have seen with mine. If you have not gone here there is some info at this web address.

http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/keepin...epingcephs.php
Old 04/02/2006, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Very interesting,thank you.What corals would you suggest trying?I would like to have a brightly colored sponge,do they require light,other that what came with my tank?
Old 04/07/2006, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

I would say to use just normal tank lighting to somewhere between the 6500K to 4600K actinic.
Old 04/09/2006, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sundance1
Very interesting,thank you.What corals would you suggest trying?I would like to have a brightly colored sponge,do they require light,other that what came with my tank?
I have The Clavularia Clove Polyps with mine which they say Care Level: Easy Light: Moderate Water Flow: Medium Placement: Middle to Top
I could not say 100% but I would not be afraid to try some of these.
The only ones I would do with a normal light would be mushrooms
I use t-5 lighting on my octopus tank which seems to be ok with the coral have in it and does not bother the octopus noticeably at least.
Starburst Polyp which are peaceful Care Level: Easy Light: Moderate to High Water Flow: Medium to Strong Placement: Middle to Top
The Yellow Colony Polyp Corals but can have a mild sting Care Level: Easy Light: Moderate Water Flow: Medium Placement: Middle
Some of the mushroom corals may work as they do not need as much light. But cautions to which you get as some could harm cephalopod and other inhabitants.
Possibly some Cauliflower Colt Coral Care Level: Easy Light: Moderate to High Water Flow: Medium to Strong Placement: All
The sponges do not require much light but I could not say one away or another on them I have never tried them I have heard they are peaceful but difficult to do.
But the same can be said about cephalopods.