Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/10/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

How much air?

I am setting up a 60 cube which will have mixed LPS, ZOAS, and basic SPS. I did not have room in the stand for a skimmer or sump so this will be running with a filter w/LR, 120lbs LR in the tank, and a XP4 filter w/ Carbon and other media. My question is do I need to run aeration 24hrs a day, or will I be okay with only 12 hrs/day? I will have about 6 small "nano" fish also including a few wrasses. ANy info will help!
Thanks
Old 01/10/2008, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

Water movement is what you need for aeration. If you plan on LPS and SPS, I highly recommend a skimmer. Check into a HOB skimmer. If you plan on SPS, you will need a ton of flow as well.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, but that was not my question...
Old 01/11/2008, 08:51 AM
Reef Chemist

His recommendation of a skimmer is in part, presumably, to provide aeration. That is one of the main reasons I use one. Same relates to water flow.

That said, we do not understand what you mean by "run aeration". What sort of device do you have?
Old 01/11/2008, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

A Whisper air pump making bubbles in the aquarium.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

I would suggest 24 hours a day for three reasons. The first is that you need as much aeration as possible. The second is that water tends to run back down the air line when the pump is off and damage the air pump EVEN WITH A ONE WAY CHECK VALVE it will happen. The third reason is that the airstone will clog much more quickly if it is off half the time.

If noise is an issue try folding up a small wash cloth and setting the air pump on that. It will be much quieter. Also be sure and keep your air pump in good condition by rebuilding it annually.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Sounds good, I am going to see if I can find an airstone with larger bubbles. I am okay with the noise if it is necessary. Thanks!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:24 AM
Reef Chemist

24 h/day aeration is important. In general, however, air bubbles driven into the water are not a good way as it creates a lot of bubble popping that leads to salt deposits all over the top of the tank. High flow at the tank surface will aerate just as well, if the surface does not have organic deposits coating it.