Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

tank drilling

Has anyone had any success with drilling a tank that is half full of water
Old 01/05/2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Bottom or Back?

Back above the water line I would try, but it would be tough keeping debri out of the water.

Bottom, wouldn't even try.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I would try to drain the tank half way down and then drill the back
Old 01/05/2008, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

I can be done but you need to have a backup ready to go. I would move half of your water to another aquarium or large container right next to where you are drilling. If you do end up cracking it at least you will be able to quickly move all of your livestock over to the holding tank. I would put a few layers of duct tape over the inside of where you are cutting to keep the glass plug and debris out of the aquarium. Good luck, go slow, and use plenty of cooling water.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

I saw someone in the MTRC forums has been recommending these guys for that very thing. Great site with vids of them drilling tanks and installing kits. I even think I saw them talking about drilling tanks that are full.

http://www.glass-holes.com/main.sc
Old 01/06/2008, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

i did it, no problem. i only let out 1/4 of the water volume. don't worry about debris because when i did mine there was very little glass dust, just a little coraline algae in the water column. the most important thing is to keep the diamond bit kool. i had my bro constantly spray the drilling area and bit with water from a spay bottle. i set the drill at its fastest speed and made my initial cut by tilting the bit a little. once i got it going i laid the bit flush on the cutting site and as i cut i applied very little pressure. let the bit do the work, be patient(it will take only a minute or two anyway), and keep the cut site and bit cool and lubricated.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

got my diamond coated bit off ebay for $10 bucks (from china i believe) all of the located glass shops tried to charge me $100 or more.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I know a guy that has drilled a lot of tanks in the area, he charges about $15 a hole so I might see if he will do it.