Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

opinions valued. please let me know.

well, with me not going to S. Florida, I am thinking fo the following for continuing my 100 gallon:

Keep the 80 lbs of LR (i know it;s a littl elight, however, the 3 "peaks" look sweet! )

Have my flame and bi-color angels, 2 engineer gobies, LMBlenny, maroon clown, yellow tang, and a cleaner wrasse.

Purchase over the next 2 months +/- :

2 Yellow tangs, 5 reef chromis.

That should be suffecient for livestock for my tank, and I thinkthe colors would be amazing... i may look for a purple tang, or something other than another yellow...

What you all think.
Keep it friendly, No reef club vs gulfarium please.

thanks!

Shop smart.... shop S-mart.
Beware the Thread Killer!
Old 12/01/2006, 10:48 PM
Spine Straightener

Yellow Tangs in threes as long as they are the same size might work well. Expect squabbles at first. A pair will almost always fight (usually till one or both are dead). Although I love the look of a Purple tang, it's in the same family as the yellow. I wouldn't do it. If I really wanted a purple, I wouldn't have any other tangs of the same family in my tank. The chromis is a good choice. Another possibility for a small colorful school might be anthias. They are beautiful fish. I'd probably do a male and two feamles.
Old 12/01/2006, 11:26 PM
sweeeet!!

I have lots of opinions. That's what makes me such a wonderful person. I think yuour house is nice. I think your kids are cute. I think you live rock belongs in my tank. I think...oh, you have questions.

So you are shooting for a FOWLR?? I certainly wouldn't put two tangs in the same tank, of the same color. Or then again, maybe they would breed?!? If I were to do a FOWLR, I'd get me a trigger and some other things that bite. I'd probably even get a lionfish. Then when you do move, you could donate them to The Gulfarium or unleash them on the tourists in Destin.

Those engineer gobies are still bad a$$!! But I wonder if they'd do as well in a bare bottom tank.

Sorry we never hooked up on the live rock. I simply ran out of money , even from my slush fund. But then again, maybe it was for a good cause. If you need any corals to repopulate your tank, I will gladly donate some. But keep in mind I have a red bug problem right now. I have some meds to kill them in a dip, but am unsure if of that at the moment.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/01/2006, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

thanks for thoughts all.

i've read several sites and books that state Yellow tangs in 3+ groups actually do better than on their own... however, I agree that a different color of tang might not be advisable for my tank size...

James - my enginieer gobies may not be too good in a bare bottom tank, at least not at the length and maturity of the ones i have (12") however, if you get one or two young ones, they should adapt just fine to a bare bottom tank.

Not really going for the true FOWLR, got inverts on the way, so gotta take the lunar wrasse to Aquaria. Mmay look into some "minor" corals, zoas, shrooms, etc down the line, however going to look for fish at the moment.

Thanks again for the input!

Old 12/01/2006, 11:57 PM
Spine Straightener

Yellows do do better in small schools. If you go that way always do odd numbers. usually seen in 3s or 5s. This way they don't single out one to pick on. Kind of a you better watch your a$$ situation in the fish school world.

James, I thought I was going the FOWLR route too until the rock I got had the corals with it. I guess I'll have to call mine a mixed now. It's really got me interested in LPS.

Later guys!
Old 12/02/2006, 12:02 AM
sweeeet!!

I could do FOWLR without hesitation. I'd want to do a huge tank though. I could sell the calcium reactor, Kalk reactor, phyto/rotifer set up and the skimmer and get a new, huge skimmer!!! Less red bugs with FOWLR systems and maybe less of a headache. But then again, no corals. I'd die and you know it!!

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/02/2006, 02:08 AM
Eye Bol

i would buy your kalk reactor! LMK when you want to sell it! I have a 60g with a purple and a yellow that are doing absolutely perfect. i put both of mine in at the same time. so far so good. with the 100g i think there would be less of a problem. IMHO, of course! not any two fish will react in the same manor. you know the spill! so it's not out of the realm of possibilities. my wife had to have her a yellow tang. i had to have me a purple tang. yada yada yada. and my tank is small!
Old 12/02/2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I love my purple tang. He has great color and by far the most personalty. If anyone goes up to the tank he has got to come check you out. The only problem is he knows that he's boss. If I have my hand in there good playing with rocks or corals he always comes over and tries to stab me with his back spines. Hes not got me yet and I just usually just try to thump him when he does.
Old 12/03/2006, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Brett-
I can't offer any advise that hasn't been dealt out already. But, I've got some frags you can have! LMK!
Suzi
Old 12/03/2006, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8662498#post8662498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 60Cubed
i would buy your kalk reactor! LMK when you want to sell it! I have a 60g with a purple and a yellow that are doing absolutely perfect. i put both of mine in at the same time. so far so good. with the 100g i think there would be less of a problem. IMHO, of course! not any two fish will react in the same manor. you know the spill! so it's not out of the realm of possibilities. my wife had to have her a yellow tang. i had to have me a purple tang. yada yada yada. and my tank is small!
Lance... You do like to push the limits don't you. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't put 2 tangs in a 60, cubed for that matter. To have a yellow and a purple seems to be asking for trouble. My purple was very aggressive. I didn't have another tang in with him but I also couldn't put anything that had any size to it in after I had the purple.

If they ever start fighting and you want to move the purple let me know. I was going to stay away from tangs but purples are my favorite. I think I could comfortable house him.
Old 12/03/2006, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Opinions? Ok. Personally, I think that's way too many fish for a 100 gallon tank. I think you'd be much better off to just keep what fish you have and leave it at that.

Just my opinion, but too many fish stresses them all, and stressed fish become sick fish all too often. Kind of like people.

Last edited by sb1227; 12/03/2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12/04/2006, 08:29 PM
Spine Straightener

Sue, you're a real party pooper! You don't like being packed in an elevator stuck between floors with the power and air conditioning out in Kansas in the middle of August?

Now that's stress!

I don't know quite what it is but your posts definately bring out the sarcasm in me. Thanks for the chance to express it!
Old 12/04/2006, 08:56 PM
Eye Bol

i've always wanted to try it to see if it worked. everybody said it did and it does! i really really want a powder blue but everytime i get a purple tang that is doing great then add a powder blue they both get ick and die. don't know if i want to take that risk or not! mine are doing so well right now.
Old 12/04/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the input all! great thoughts, ideas and opinions. I too am concerned about the overcrouding, however, by my calculations, I still have room for 15-20 inches of fish. I think I'll go with 2-4 more chromis as the one I have is very lonly.

Thanks again!

Old 12/05/2006, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I don't know quite what it is but your posts definately bring out the sarcasm in me. Thanks for the chance to express it!
I have a knack for that. But then, Sarcasm and cynicism are two things I mastered years ago and I appreciate people with the talent.

As far as overcrowding goes, I have a little story to put it all into perspective, but it's long. Maybe I can do it in a short version, but it's just not as fun.... Think of it like this, just imagine yourself, your significant other, wife, whatever, and pick three people you don't really like. Now if you had to live, 24/7 in say, a walk in closet. After a couple of years, maybe you move in your grumpy uncle Henry and his wife, Ethyl. And you can never leave. Ever. Think you would be stressed? I won't say what I would be. It wouldn't be polite to post.

Old 12/05/2006, 02:30 PM
Spine Straightener

Touche!