Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2006, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Lingo Explained

I have read about many many large reef build ups, and I am a built confused about some of the lingo, and systems that are used on large reef systems.
1. What is a Tunzee, I hear about these all the time, and I believe it is some sort of power head, but a really fancy one.
2. What is a closed loop system, I am assuming it is just a system to help with flow, by moving water out of the system and putting it back in elsewhere.
3. Where do you get skimmers that handle 300+ gallon systems?
4. Lastly how many tanks have you guys had on average? I am amazed at how well these large tanks are built and designed. Things like how the electrical systems are installed, how well the PVC frames for the rock are built, and how they always look amazing. How the diagrams for the refugiums are built, as well as how well the piping layout is. My main question is how did you guys learn to be so good at building large tanks.
Old 11/01/2006, 04:58 PM
Team RC Member

1. http://www.tunze.com/117.html?C=US&L=1

2. a closed loop is a pump that pulls water from the tank then pumps it back into the tank to create flow

3.this is just one example http://www.aquatictech.com/protein_skimmers.htm

------------------------------------------------
Old 11/01/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Lingo

Years of reading & research.
Larger systems cost a lot to construct and maintain so it’s important to plan things out ahead of time.
I am building a scale model of my system that functions identical to my final display system.
When I finally build my display system the scale model will become my quarantine system.
Or you can just blow large amounts of cash and get ok results
Old 11/01/2006, 07:40 PM
reef aquarium god

ken hit it best...reading, research, talking to fellow reefers...if you dont plan accordingly you can spend a small fortune doing things WRONG, when you can spend 6 months or so on these boards reading everything and do it right the first time. there are many knowledgable people here who will always answer questions.
Old 11/01/2006, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Years and years of spilling water.... and some research!
Most people with big systems find the set up the fun part.

Dave
Old 11/01/2006, 10:14 PM
Patient Reefer

There is more than one way to set up a large tank...many different philosophies about substrates, lighting, skimming, flow systems, water supplements, etc... Study and design a system before you start building. Ask lots of questions.
Mike