Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/21/2006, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

BTA's in Mixed Reefs

I was wondering how many BTA or RBTA keepers have "mixed" reef aquariums?? If you do, what do you keep??? Softies, stonies, zoo's???

Opinions vary on this subject. Some experts say "No corals at all should be kept in a tank for anemones."

Other experts say "Just run carbon, and don't place them right next to each other".

I'm intrested in ideas and thoughts regarding this issue.
Old 07/21/2006, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

I do, although I agree with you that most would say it's not the best idea in the world. But I have some LPS, SPS, softies, zoos... and most would say that's not the best idea in the world either. But they all seem to get along, or at least coexist right now. I have a 90 gallon not to heavily stocked, so I can keep some distance between them all. I think the key is to make sure the RBTA is in a spot it likes, as far as light, flow, shelter for its foot, and food, and hopefully it will stay put. At least mine does.
Old 07/21/2006, 10:18 AM
I yam what I yam

Got a fully mixed reef myself. Everything from sponges to SPS, a little of everything including clams and a RBTA. I've not seen any problems yet. I do run carbon in a filter pad in my sump but I've always run some type of carbon on my tanks all the time. So far I've only had to move the rock my RBTA was on a few times to get him in a spot he liked so he would go wandering off. I think I've finally found a spot for him. All of my other corals seem to be doing fine.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 07/21/2006, 10:37 AM
Nothing original for now

Carbon was mentioned, is this just to help keep organics down for the anemone? Thanks, and for what it's worth I take care of a Carpet in Mixed reef. I think carpets are more agressive tho, as he does sting things he touches.
Old 07/21/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

I run carbon also. To keep chemical comp. down. Or I try to keep it down:0~ I hope to keep it down???

Anyone use UV for alleopathy??

How about anemones doing poorly/dieing due to chemical alleopathy??
Old 07/21/2006, 10:57 AM
RC Mod

Depends on your level of effort, 5 years from now, if left to their own devices you will have one of these: Dominated!
Old 07/21/2006, 11:02 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Klownfish
Anyone use UV for alleopathy??
Only logical if the origin of the chemical is waterborne algae or organisms.

Quote:
Originally posted by Klownfish
How about anemones doing poorly/dieing due to chemical alleopathy??
IMHO, I have experienced both directions, anemones in confined spaces taking out corals and vice versa.

This was in a multi-compartment system that was segmented for maintenance, QT, etc. All the same water and lighting, just smaller closed systems when death occured.

Could it have been other things, yes, but the "thing" was not testable by my kits.

HTH.
Old 07/21/2006, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

WOW. Let me say that again. WOW. OMG, that is the biggest RBTA I have ever seen. Thanks for the link.

I thought the amenone might loose, if up aginst Zoo's, or some of the more agressive softies??
Old 07/21/2006, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

you have to pay attention that for sure. your bound to have to move things around the anemone. mine shifted and stung a bunch of eagle eyes recently... and every so often a tenicle reaches my candy canes... but its possible

its stinging that bunch of candy canes above it now

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 07/21/2006, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

I've got a mixed tank, but at 120 gallons, it's not a heavily stocked tank, so it works.
I've got a RBTA that decided that it wanted to live on the glass and a LTA that by nature sticks to the sand.
I've also got some green hairy mushrooms, some zoas, a frogspawn, a bunch of green star polyps, and two christmas tree rocks which are made out of porites coral and christmas worms, some small feather dusters, and some other stuff.
I'd say if you have a lightly stocked tank and can move some stuff around while your RBTA is trying to find it's happy place, it's okay. But if you've got a heavily stocked tank and are "saving a place" for an RBTA it can be a total disaster as the anemone wanders around getting into warfare with other stuff.
Old 07/21/2006, 11:40 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

I have a 55g. Its SPS, GSP, 2 Croceas Clams, and zoanthids. I have a 4" GBTA and a Carpet bigger than my head. The nems havent moved since being placed into the tank. I havent lost anyone due to the GBTA but I have lost some fish due to the carpet. I always run carbon in my filters.
Old 07/24/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Intresting...

I was advised by some marine experts that "Reef Gardens" with mixed corals, SPS, LPS, and anemones were a bad idea. Whether the corals "Touched" or not didn't matter. The chemical warfare "Alleopathy" was in the water from the stinging-celled animals.

Activated carbon May help, and UV May help, by breaking down the chemical proteins, so a skimmer can take the compounds out of the water collum easier, and more efficently.

Just wondering how this issue was addressed by others in the hobby.

(Or, if other hobbiests even thought this was worthy of being considered an "Issue" or just nonsense??)
Old 07/24/2006, 02:16 PM
I yam what I yam

HM. My Mixed reef is going on 7+ years now and my corals are doing great. One even spawned in my tank.

So it's a bad idea huh?

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 07/24/2006, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

as Scott metioned above, It's not a terrible thing at first when you only have one in the tank, it's what can happen w/o due diligence, a nem dominated tank.
Old 07/24/2006, 10:24 PM
Reefer Maniac

I have a large RBTA in a reef tank with mostly kenya tree's, that drop off baby colnies everywhere, so when the RBTA burns the newer smaller colonies, I do not mind. But it does continue to grow and I only have PC bulbs and feed it shrimp about 2-3 times a week. I run carbon, and keep up with my water changes and skimmer cleanings. I do not know any secrets, but this thing seems to be really happy, only it is not cloning itself, and no clowns will take to it, but thats ok, I am very happy with it.
Old 07/25/2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Sometimes I go to Wet Web Media, and look for advice on that site.

It's where I was given the idea that "Reef Gardens" are trouble for the inhabitats. The "Chemical Pool of Toxins" prodeuced by the mixing of Zoo's, Anemones, SPS, LPS, and Softies.

This idea does seem quite limited, to that site, no?

Old 07/25/2006, 06:30 PM
RC Mod

I would say that the following previously posted experience is in line with the "Reef Gardens" are trouble:
Quote:
Originally posted by traveller7
IMHO, I have experienced both directions, anemones in confined spaces taking out corals and vice versa.
Old 07/26/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I have had good luck with RBTs in a mixed reef for the last two years. I have experienced more coral damage from by Bubble coral and Galaxias than the BTA/RBTs. One of my RBTs has attatched to the side of a Toadstool leather stalk for the last two months and caused no damage. I have a pic in my gallery before the RBT climbed up the side.
Old 07/26/2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

I do use carbon in my sump 24/7.
Old 07/26/2006, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

I also have a mixed reef with softies, sps, lps and a GBTA. I have had no issues so far its been about 4 months. I put th BTA in first and waited for him to pick his spot. he has not moved since. I put all my corals in after him and have not had any problems. I also run carbon.
Old 07/27/2006, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

Skeeter, if you want them too split do a decent, large w/c. I'd say 30-40%, after you've been extra generous for a couple of weeks with the direct feedings. Seems to work most of the time for me.