Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2004, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Want to go on a shark dive? Follow an abalone diver in California around for a day.
Old 09/28/2004, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

actually can't remember the name of the island but i think its off the coast fo fiji but its an annual spawning area for sharks....man i wish i remembered the name
Old 09/28/2004, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Palau has a place like that, it is called "shark corner". It is at the corner of the wall.
Old 09/30/2004, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

The only sharks I have seen on my dives are the nurse sharks during a shark feeding dive during the dive festival in Ft. Lauderdale (they no longer do them) and a white tip reef shark in Hawaii.
Old 09/30/2004, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

They no longer do shark feeding dives in Florida because it is illegal. Has anyone else done Hammerhead dives at Cocos Islands in Costa Rica? Mucho Hammerheads!
Old 09/30/2004, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Snarfe (and all others in what's becoming a general shark/dive forum),

The big shark dive site in Fiji is Beqa Lagoon/Pacific Harbour. It's an atoll located between Viti Levu (the main island in Fiji) and Kadavu (the southernmost island). You're treated to bulls, tigers, grey reefs, white tips, black tips, nurse sharks, et. al. If you do a Google search on Beqa you'll come up with some nice pictures. Here's a sampling:
http://www.skynet.ie/~martin/pictures/sharkdive/
and a movie:
http://www.aquatrekdiving.com/shark-diving.html

Beqa isn't the only place in Fiji that offers shark dives, but it's the only place that features tiger and bull sharks. Quite an experience.

Kadavu also features a shark dive on the Namalta Reef (actually most village/dive operations will offer a shark dive if you ask - but it's not part of the routine), but they don't chum the waters. Instead they put a few left over tuna scraps from the village in a large pvc pipe. A school of greys, a few black tips, and thousands of banner fish swarm the site. The advantage of diving here vs. Beqa is your proximity to the phenomenal Astrolobe Reef. Unbelievable sps, lps, and soft corals (& mantas).

Northeast of Viti Levu is Taveuni (Snarfe you may be thinking of this island). It's known for having some very big, man-eating tigers. Adjacent to Taveuni is the world-famous Somosomo Straits (soft coral capital of the world). Geologically young, Taveuni's beaches are mostly volcanic; thus, the waters are a little dark. A local last year, while swimming to shore from his boat, never made it. Next time I visit Taveuni, I want to find out where in Taveuni these attacks actually occur. After hearing the stories, I found myself constantly asking the dive masters, "Now, this isn't where the tigers are, right?"

Scott
Old 10/01/2004, 03:05 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by divingne1
The only sharks I have seen on my dives are the nurse sharks during a shark feeding dive during the dive festival in Ft. Lauderdale (they no longer do them) and a white tip reef shark in Hawaii.
Check out these Pics I got of a Nurse on my trip to Cozumel in March of this year.

Old 10/01/2004, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

I have been fortunate enough to dive in the galapagos. On one dive in a colapsed volcano we were graced with the company of over 50 10ft+ hammerheads. It was probably the best thing I have every experienced diving in my life. We were all in such awe that we didn't realize how close we had started to drift towards them. Besides the hammerheads I have dove with the black tips, a pregnant white tip, carribean reefs and galapagos sharks. Next I want to head back to the norther galapagos on dive with a whale shark.

CS
Old 10/01/2004, 04:33 PM
Holo What?

oooo... whale sharks... if you do that you damned well better take pictures!!
Old 10/01/2004, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

just piping up, been on a dive in the keys, saw a couple of nurse sharks. it was pretty cool. they didnt bother us, and we didnt bother them...

got to use my dive knife for the first time on that dive though...

nothing major, just used the butt end of it to point out the shark to my dad, who was in front of me, and my brother was behind me and literally swimming directly over the top of the shark...
to this day, i still don't know how he shot straight up like that....

he looked down, and within 10' of him, there was a nurse shark laying under a rock outcropping just snoozing....
Old 10/03/2004, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

Two things, I really want to see, that I have never seen yet, a whale shark, and coral spawning night. And, they usually can happen together, or within a few days of the coral spawn you will see a whale shark come in. I have been on 4 planned trips and missed both of these by one week on all for trips! On the live-aboards, these few weeks out of the year, are reserved for several years ahead of time. So, it is a hit or miss type thing. Two of those trips we had reservations 4 years ahead of time.
Old 10/03/2004, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

scotter-actually think it might be. i'm pretty sure theres something like this around new zeiland (sp?). but that could just be because of seals and such?
CS-wow i would love to see that many hammerheads! did they leave when they noticed you? they usually will, i guess they are still not sure about us humans :-)
Old 10/03/2004, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

when i went snorkeling in the florida keys, i didn't see any sharks but i saw:
baracudas
a 6 foot morey eel and lots of
fish

Tara
Old 10/04/2004, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Yeah snarfe as soon as they saw us or heard our bubbles (even with controled breathing to stop the release of a big bubble) they all moved out together and disappeared in about a second. We were all in such awe of them, and could not stop talking about them for the rest of the trip.

CS
Old 10/04/2004, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
Besides, statistically, you have a better chance of dying from a lightning strike, or a bee sting than being attacked by a shark.
Nick

Just a couple months ago there was an guy diving for abs near Ft. Bragg (Northern CA) who got his head bit off (for real, no kidding) by a GW. His buddy was quoted as saying the guy who died used to to say the same thing about the low statistical chance of getting attacked by a shark. They found his body with no head, than a beach comber found his head a week or three later. Which, if anyone who read JAWS (the book, not the movie!) is a scene right out of the book, beachcomber stumbiling across a head in the sand...

Good luck on the Monterey dive, its where I got my cert as well. There is nothing like the little trickle of Monterey Bay water that always slips down your back everytime you go in with a wetsuit! You know you are alive! You may not see a shark but there is some serious cool stuff right off the wharf everyone learns to dive from. One guy in my class had a cormorant come shooting 30 feet down grab at a fish and do a u-turn right under him, zipping back up his other side. If you go further out down the wharf you might see young Mola Molas and all most for sure you will see sea lions. My best memory from my first dive, right after doing skills, and waiting for my dive buddy to do his skills was a football sized and shaped comb jelly that rolled past. It was crystal clear except a row of pulsing red dots running the length of each lobe of the jelly.
Old 10/04/2004, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

I hope it's fun.
20 gallon sump
2 x MJ 900's on a wave maker
2 x 75 watt VHO actinics
asm G-1x skimmer
running --carbon, purigen, phosban
Old 10/05/2004, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Out here in Seattle we have 6 gill sharks that can grow pretty large. Haven't seen any yet, but just a few weeks ago one of the guys from my dive shop saw hundreds of squid mating above him. When they mate, the males turn all shades of colors. I myself saw the giant mound of squid eggs. We also can get octopus that are enormous (over 100 lbs) Would love to dive with sharks someday.
Old 10/06/2004, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Hey Holokai... about the whale sharks...
Here's some video clips from my Utila trip in April. This whale shark is 36', and the gashes on the back were from the prop of a very big Honduran ferry.

http://www.waterdogsscuba.com/Vids_2004_Utila.htm
Old 10/06/2004, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

cool!

Tara
Old 10/13/2004, 11:56 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by Beckmola24
Out here in Seattle we have 6 gill sharks that can grow pretty large. Haven't seen any yet, but just a few weeks ago one of the guys from my dive shop saw hundreds of squid mating above him. When they mate, the males turn all shades of colors. I myself saw the giant mound of squid eggs. We also can get octopus that are enormous (over 100 lbs) Would love to dive with sharks someday.
Anybody see that national Geographic special about the Humbolt squids a few months back?
It took place in San Carlos Mexico and that my typical dive spot. In certain areas you can find their beaks embedded in the rocks. From what I understand they shed their beaks and when they shed them the bite onto rocks and lodge the old beak onto the rocks. I have one on a necklace that’s almost 2 inches long, super sharp too. They eat each other when they are mating, the males are super aggressive with each other.
Old 10/16/2004, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Saw a 6ft nurse shark on the reef in Turks and Caicos snorkeling past April. Was Amazing!!! A guy from a dive shop here in Michigan was in the Turks in February and got some amazing picture swimming with a whale shark...That would be COOL!!!
Am going to the keys in March....hope to see somethin cool
Old 10/16/2004, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

NowasReef. Don't count on seeing sharks in the keys. Plenty of Nurse Sharks. Plenty of others too, I suppose, but rarely seen.
Old 10/16/2004, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Ive heard of bull sharks and hammerheads around bahia honda.....no biggie if dont see them tho...just hope to see something
Old 10/23/2004, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

When I got certified in Monterey (about 15 years ago) the coolest thing I saw was a sea otter floating around in the kelp.
Old 11/02/2004, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

My first dive trip was off of Cozumel this past summer. I was diving Santa Rosa, a wall dive. There was a group of six of us that went in. I inflated my BC, dove in, waited for the group and then went under. The first thing I EVER saw diving was a Nurse Shark. It was just cruising by down about 15 feet. It didn't even pay any attention to us. And then...it was gone.
I would love to do the Galapagos someday. My dive master that certified me has plenty of video from there. What an adrenaline rush!