Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2007, 02:30 AM
top of the top

temperature question

what i the highest temperature croceas will tolerate or thrive in?
Old 01/10/2007, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

I wouldnt shoot for highre than 80 or 81 at most. Guaranteed youll have a spell where the temp will spike, and higher temp can really spell disaster.

Really, there is no reason to "want" to run a higher temp, though. Why are you looking to do so? I am curious.
Old 01/10/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

maximum temperature of toleration would be 86 degrees, which is 30 degrees celcius in which according to Jame's book, is the temperature where tridacnids grow the fastest. Anything above that is life threatening (87.8F or 31C)
Old 01/10/2007, 04:36 PM
top of the top

Quote:
Originally posted by jmaneyapanda
I wouldnt shoot for highre than 80 or 81 at most. Guaranteed youll have a spell where the temp will spike, and higher temp can really spell disaster.

Really, there is no reason to "want" to run a higher temp, though. Why are you looking to do so? I am curious.
im not looking foward to running the temp that high but my tank right now gets to 82deg and its only winter
i think it might reach 84 during the summer but hopefully i can find something to chill my tank by then
Old 01/13/2007, 10:53 AM
Boomer gave me this

Quote:
Originally posted by ezcompany
maximum temperature of toleration would be 86 degrees, which is 30 degrees celcius in which according to Jame's book, is the temperature where tridacnids grow the fastest. Anything above that is life threatening (87.8F or 31C)
I was puzzled when reading this. Maybe in the ocean due to something unknown? I have personally seen all the croceas & maximas in a holding system die at 84 degrees, so I always shot for a max of 82 at the peak, with no chiller.
I prefer 78-80 though as my target range now. Havent lost a tridacna yet with this temp.
Old 01/13/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I live in Tampa and my tank STAYS between 82-84 year-round. I trust my AC, and keep a couple of big frozen tupperware things full of water in the freezer, just in case I ever need to drop the temp a couple of degrees. I have a couple of extra fans for any unforseen emergencies, too...

The advantage of a high temp is that cold-blooded organisms' metabolic rate is tied directly to environmental temp. Higher temps will lead to faster growth for corals and for clams - but only up to a threshold of about 86-88 degrees. Another advantage (of course) is not paying for/running a chiller, and not keeping the AC lower than I want to have it for myself, just to keep the tank cooler.

Reefkoi, 84 is close to 86, and my guess would be that if you saw widespread losses at 84 - the thermometer was off a couple of degrees and the tank was really higher than what it read. OR, it could have been due to low oxygen levels. When temps go up, oxygen concentration goes down. As long as there is LOTS of circulation and a rolling water surface - no problem. But if temps go up and ciculation is too low, oxygen can drop too much...
Old 01/14/2007, 12:55 AM
top of the top

Quote:
Originally posted by critterkeeper
I live in Tampa and my tank STAYS between 82-84 year-round. I trust my AC, and keep a couple of big frozen tupperware things full of water in the freezer, just in case I ever need to drop the temp a couple of degrees. I have a couple of extra fans for any unforseen emergencies, too...

The advantage of a high temp is that cold-blooded organisms' metabolic rate is tied directly to environmental temp. Higher temps will lead to faster growth for corals and for clams - but only up to a threshold of about 86-88 degrees. Another advantage (of course) is not paying for/running a chiller, and not keeping the AC lower than I want to have it for myself, just to keep the tank cooler.

Reefkoi, 84 is close to 86, and my guess would be that if you saw widespread losses at 84 - the thermometer was off a couple of degrees and the tank was really higher than what it read. OR, it could have been due to low oxygen levels. When temps go up, oxygen concentration goes down. As long as there is LOTS of circulation and a rolling water surface - no problem. But if temps go up and ciculation is too low, oxygen can drop too much...

wow so they can survive at 86deg?
im expecting at least 84deg
im not worried about oxygen cause my skimmer provides alot
Old 01/15/2007, 11:53 PM
Boomer gave me this

Critter, You have a good point if I remember this holding facility had individual cubes for each clam, low flow through them. That probably didnt help, and yes a cheap digi thermometer could have been off a bit also.
I had a 180 that would get hot in an un-airconditioned apt. we used to live in. The colt coral did great when the temps got high, but the rest of the tank didnt look so good. After that i've always thought everything does much better at 78 JMO.
C