Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > New Mexico Ocean Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 12:23 PM
Resistance is Futile

OT: TV Repair

A few months ago there was a thunderstorm and lightning struck near our house. This caused our TV to no longer work. I checked the fuses in the housing and they were not blown. I believe I traced it down to a power regulator, but I am not sure.

Does anyone know a place I could take it around town that wont charge me what it would cost to get a new tv?

It is a 32 inch RCA flat tube HDTV. Also the TV power indicator comes on and flashes but the tube doesn't power up nor is there any audio. So that leads me to believe it may also be the tuner components.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

you might call this guy and tell him I give you the number. I'll pm you the number.

http://www.nmOceanKeepers.com/
Old 01/01/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm guessing a componet based fuse or maybee even Zeener Diode blew, generally in the tv you bring in AC & using a transformer rectify it to DC pwr. If your carefull and handly with a multimeter you should be able open up the unit and start tracing back where power is. Most of these ckts do have a protection ckt to elimite the failure of major components.

... why don't you just file an insurance claim instead of voiding your warrenty? Also the manufacture might be able to fax or email you a copy of the ckt schematics. thanks!
Old 01/01/2008, 03:45 PM
Resistance is Futile

Thanks for the tip about tracing it to a component fuse. Do you have any other tips?

There is no warrant as the tv is over 3 years old. As for the insurance claim, I already asked my insurance company when it happened and they do not cover that.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

There is a tv repair place that is pretty good kinda by your house it is off of coors west on dellyne in the shopping center where there is a dental office and karate center..forgot the name though...good luck!
Old 01/03/2008, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

I do still believe it will be something simple in the circuitry that is intended to safeguard the rest of the television. While the overall component might be inexpensive I’m sure if you take the set to a repair shop just the initial diagnosis might be close to an hour labor. I'd suggest you check the local libraries for a few beginner reference books.

Here's the link to search the libraries catalog:
http://www.cabq.gov/library/

Click on Browse Library Catalog then look for key words
Television repair
TV repair

I've already found several including:
1. Television and video systems : operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair

2. TV repair for beginners

3. The Howard W. Sams troubleshooting & repair guide to TV

These will give you the starting tools and recommendations for opening the unit, safely discharging the main display tube, and general starting points to isolate no picture & sound.

I have a good electrical multi-meter and would be willing to work with you on this if you'd like, when you get the books.

-Shawn G