Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 05/13/2006, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

What is a Tyree coral?

I hear "tyree" mentioned alot and it is usually associted with expensive corals. What is this? Does he have a website? Also how is a limited editon coral different from a regular frag? the only way it could be limited editon is if they fraged it once and then never fragged it again, right?
Old 05/13/2006, 08:03 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Purely a marketing scheme.
Old 05/13/2006, 01:00 PM
why can't i love???

BIG HYPE . he runs up and down california looking for corals from stores and hobbyists to frag up and call "LE" (limited edition) and sell at auction for huge profit.

he has done this to some of the people in my area where he finds an amazing morph or color and then takes it for his own. all the original owner gets out of it is maybe his name used to give the coral it's "LE" name (or a chance at some other over priced frags). kinda shady and lame if you ask me.

the lfs in my area blows away alot of the "LE" stuff and does not overcharge for the sweet morphs or color combos.
Old 05/13/2006, 01:02 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

I was on the site reading the 'retired' lists. Kind of interesting. Most of the retired LEs were retired either because the lost color, or would not survive long term in captivity.

So you are paying a lot for corals that are gonna lose color or die.

But hey, its still Limited Edition, right?
Old 05/13/2006, 04:30 PM
why can't i love???

yeah but then it becomes a "LED" (limited edition dead).
Old 05/13/2006, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

its simple. its the only way to turn a $30 frag into a $300 frag.
Old 05/13/2006, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Where can I see the retireds LEs. What is his website.
Old 05/13/2006, 10:58 PM
404 errors turn me on

I believe my avatar says it all.
Old 05/13/2006, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Yes over priced but awesome corals. My LFS does not get that caliber of corals. I have 2 LE in my tank although I did not get them from Tyree but from the original owner.
This hobby is based off of supply and demand if you feel the price is to high then do not pay for it. If you can afford it and it brings color and excitement to your tank then pay the price. JMO
Old 05/13/2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I think it's genius. Props to him for creating a market for himself.
Old 05/14/2006, 09:05 AM
why can't i love???

by the same logic the oil companies should also be held to genius status.

every one can get tyree like corals at a fair price. with all the e-tailers there are (several come to mind as sponsors of this site) no can say they can not find these type of corals....you just have to hunt them down. as far as pricing...keeping it fair and doing unto your fellow man and all that but when you sell a coral that you in all likelyhood recieved for free at $80.00 an inch that is a little out of whack. you need all that hype to get that much for them...at the least the original owner should be compensated in some way to make it profitabe to them as well.
Old 05/14/2006, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

i've always wondered what the original owner gets out of the deal. Do they get a percentage of the sales from the frags?(i doub it) Maybe they get a bunch of free frags in exchange? There has to be something in it for them for them to give tyree they're colony
Old 05/14/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Majority of the people need gas for their vehicle but reefers do not need the LE corals. Your comparsion between the two is flawed.

UFreefer- the owners get to pick a frag from his LE or auction corals. They also get a great marketing hype for their company if they have one. In the long run, the companies benefit from the free advertisement, while Tyree just makes about $100 a month on the coral if it survives.

For example, look at the watermelon chalice. That thing is incredible. You are lucky to find one for Tyree's asking price. On the other hand, look at the micromussa on the list. They seem to be just a faded red (ala pink). As always in this hobby, BUYER BEWARE.
Old 05/14/2006, 01:25 PM
why can't i love???

i suspect the guy above me has been many names on this board and would be contrary to any opinion i have (only the mods will know for sure) but my point stands. the oil companies say they are hurting and need to raise oil prices when they are having record profits. you only really want fuel you do not need it. they (LE corals) are way overpriced imo and i have the water mellon (about 6" across i might add) and spent a fair and what i consider to be normal price (about $100.00). gouging is a way of life for some people and it is a dirty part of our hobby. nuff said.
Old 05/14/2006, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

who doesn't "need" fuel? lol

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 05/14/2006, 01:34 PM
why can't i love???

well come on do you really need it? it might be naive but we do not need it...we just really like having it. we need water but no one is holding a monoply on water (well not yet lol).
Old 05/14/2006, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

6" of the watermelon? Pictures please. I have seen only one picture of the watermelon larger then 6" and that was from the founder of the coral.

Like I said, the comparsion is flawed. Gas is needed for daily life activites. You do not need corals, worse yet LE corals, to function daily. The comparison on profits has nothing to do with needs. If Tyree was making millions and billions of dollars on LE corals, that would make him a smart business man.
Old 05/14/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

gas is not needed it is wanted to fuel the car you like that makes your life convenient. if you had to get to your job because it was the last time you could be late and your car wasnt working you would NEED to walk.
Old 05/14/2006, 03:37 PM
why can't i love???

true that. and just because it's a need does not make price gouging right.

making a stupid amount of profit from hobbyists and then putting your name on it is arrogant and wrong. making a profit is not really my biggest beef...it is more about how they conduct business with the sniping of tanks up and down california and then going home with brand new "LE" frags to sell. maybe if they just did not sell "LE" everything ...but it's transparent that all they want to do is make huge profit out of the hobby at the expense of fellow hobbyists. makes me feel dirty...how about you?
Old 05/14/2006, 03:48 PM
Moved On

LE=OVER-RATED....I see just as nice stuff out here in Socal all the time and its a lot cheaper
Old 05/14/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coker98
gas is not needed it is wanted to fuel the car you like that makes your life convenient. if you had to get to your job because it was the last time you could be late and your car wasnt working you would NEED to walk.

must be nice to not live 40 miles from work, LOL.....you gonna walk 40 miles? If not, then i 'need' it.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 05/14/2006, 04:35 PM
404 errors turn me on

Well techniqually you could ride a bike 40 miles both ways everyday not fun but certainly possible.
Old 05/14/2006, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Confooseld
Well techniqually you could ride a bike 40 miles both ways everyday not fun but certainly possible.
sure, get up at 4am get home at 8/9 pm so then i must choose between paying bills, household cleaning and fixing and food shopping.....and sleep. Because i don't 'need' both

Old 05/14/2006, 05:01 PM
why can't i love???

three words...buy a horse! of course i am just kidding.
Old 05/14/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

My comment was not of the profit margin achieved by his labelling, but rather of the sheer volume of market recognition the term 'LE' has achieved. It's very rare that you get a thread like this even asking what an 'LE' coral is. More to the point, you say something like LE watermelon and there's an instant image in everyone's mind. Same goes for things like Rainbow Monti, Tubs WHATEVER, Alien Eye, etc.