Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 03/08/2005, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Ricordia Lighting Req?

I have been working hard to get my water quality good. I have a 55g reef and I recently replaced 2x110w VHO with a 4x55w PC setup.

I really would like to start adding some corals, especially nicely colored blues and oranges etc. I love the way Ricordia look, and was wondering if I could keep them under my PC setup? My tank is only 13" deep and the PC fixture nearly sits on the water

advise is appreciated, I did some searching under google and it seemed like a lot of people had very strong lighting, but im not sure that was because of the ricordia.
Old 03/08/2005, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

I keep them in my 75 with PC lighting about the same as yours. I guess over a 55 things would be just as good. They have doubled in size and I have a lot more. So I guess things are good.

There is a special forum just for mushrooms you may want to check out.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=202
Old 03/08/2005, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

I have ricordia under pcs and they grow and split relatively fast.
Old 03/08/2005, 08:49 AM
Timmah!

I have some florida ricordea that are at about the top third of my tank under 2 110W actinics and they are HUGE and thriving. They've split from 2 individuals into 6 individuals in the last 6 months. I also have a small one that split off that has, for some reason, attached itself to a rock in complete shade at the very bottom of the tank. Despite the fact that it's not growing rapidly like the others, it still looks very healthy. In my opinion, they're very tolerant of light conditions.
Old 03/08/2005, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

PCs are fine, myne have been splitting in a stock nanocube.
Old 03/08/2005, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Nice thanks guys. I really think ricordias will offer me the most vibrant colors, next to acros which I really am scared of!