Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2004, 10:03 PM
Timmah!

Well, it's been a couple hours, and before the lights went out it looked like the cyano on the sand was fading away pretty quickly. Not completely gone yet, but significantly less of it than there was before I added the Red Slime Remover. I'll post again tomorrow morning when I see how it looks when the lights come back on, and again later in the day after the lights have been on for a while.
Old 08/21/2004, 03:07 PM
Timmah!

So far this morning, the cyano on my sandbed isn't completely gone, but it's been knocked WAY back. It always seemed to fade a little overnight with the lights out, then grow throughout the day... today it's not really increased much since this morning. I did leave the skimmer running though, which may have had an effect - I noticed it was generating a ton more skimmate than usual since I dosed the Red Slime Remover.

Tomorrow evening, if necessary, I'll be adding a second dose according to the instructions, and I think I'll unplug the skimmer this time to see if it makes a difference.
Old 08/22/2004, 02:52 AM
Moved On

Leave the skimmer going. The only long term fix is to get the nutrients out and if it is skimming more while the cyano is breaking down, let it.
Old 08/22/2004, 10:10 AM
Timmah!

Good advice, will do. I had seen conflicting advice for different products here and while looking at products at the LFS.

As for my cyano outbreak, my sand still looks a little discolored, but is a huge improvement over two days ago. I'm due for a second treatment tonight (48 hours after the initial one), and I expect that it will completely clear whatever is left. For what it's worth, my pH is still around 8.2, but I don't know what my O2 is like. The fish and inverts don't seem to have minded at all. Corals are still nice and open.
Old 08/22/2004, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

TimD - If your skimmer is going nuts and you have micro bubbles all over your tank I might tune your skimmer down for a few days. Especially if the skimmate is just straight water. Just my opinion though.
Old 08/23/2004, 05:09 PM
Moved On

dosing red slime remover

Quote:
Originally posted by Harbour
After doing all of this then add Red Slime Remover by Ultralife! LOL!

When I got the slime I did a search and found that many with the best equipment in the hobby were still getting the red slime.

Nothing worked for me until I added the slime remover. The hobby had almost lost it's fun for me. I too was once against adding chemicals like this. Next time it will be the slime remover right off the bat.

Just my experience!

BTW, great post on potential prevention and removal. This will leave it in a one stop source for those in the future.

Harbour

Harbour
how much stoney corals do you have in your tank.i have red slime in my tank but just in the front of the tank on the bottom.its just enough to annoy you.i did ro/di water changes havent dosed no nutrients in 2 weeks,syphoned most of the red slime i coul get and it still grow back.my ph stays between 8.17 in the morn and 8.45-8.50 at night.but i do got a bottle of the red slime remover by ultralife.WILL THIS PRODUCT GET RID OF IT ENTIRALLY OR WHAT.
Old 08/23/2004, 05:10 PM
Moved On

dosing red slime remover

Quote:
Originally posted by Harbour
After doing all of this then add Red Slime Remover by Ultralife! LOL!

When I got the slime I did a search and found that many with the best equipment in the hobby were still getting the red slime.

Nothing worked for me until I added the slime remover. The hobby had almost lost it's fun for me. I too was once against adding chemicals like this. Next time it will be the slime remover right off the bat.

Just my experience!

BTW, great post on potential prevention and removal. This will leave it in a one stop source for those in the future.

Harbour

Harbour
how much stoney corals do you have in your tank.i have red slime in my tank but just in the front of the tank on the bottom.its just enough to annoy you.i did ro/di water changes havent dosed no nutrients in 2 weeks,syphoned most of the red slime i coul get and it still grow back.my ph stays between 8.17 in the morn and 8.45-8.50 at night.but i do got a bottle of the red slime remover by ultralife.WILL THIS PRODUCT GET RID OF IT ENTIRALLY OR WHAT.
Old 08/23/2004, 08:02 PM
Moved On

just dosed red slime remover

i got fed up with the cyno finally so i dosed my tank.i got a 40 breeder full of ORA sps tons of zoos and rics.i was just mainly on my zoos and botton of tank.i dont have a DSB i use florida crushed coral.will that cause cyno.
Old 11/15/2004, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

when ever you dose your tank with things like red slime remover you have to turn off the protein skimmer and take carbon out if your running it...or else your doin nothing to the tank....carbon removes any medications you put in and a the skimmer is pulling it out that is why your skimmer went crazy after dosing....i would start all over cause you killed the purpose of putting in red slime remover and one more thing have you given it time to go away on its own ....sometimes these things will just cycle its way out without having to do to much except turky basting it out of your tank and some water changes in the long run .....most the time i see people just not hearing what they want and keep up doin the same things untill they are tired of fighting it or dumpin money in...then they just quit or stop and notice later there prob goes away.....I guess what im saying dont be over compulsive bout your tank it takes time for anything to happenthat is good so just walk away and let nature run its course
Old 12/09/2004, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

RO??????

what RO mean?
Old 12/09/2004, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Reverse Osmosis
Old 04/15/2005, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

what is RO?
Old 04/15/2005, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

what is RO?
Old 04/15/2005, 04:09 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Marine Fish and Reef has a good article about it in the 2005 Annual magazine. Its a pretty good magazine for $6.99 (I got mine at Petsmart).

Good article, my school's tank is having a problem with cyano, going to suggest some ideas to the teacher soon.
Old 04/16/2005, 04:42 PM
Team RC Member

RO = reverse osmosis water, it has been filtered to remove pollutants. RO/DI is RO water that has gone through an additional de-ionization process to further remove contaminants.

HTH (Hope this helps),
Kevin
Old 07/11/2005, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

well, for what it is worth, if the cyano is not a major detraction or if it is not a nussance, it will give your tank a 0 nitrate reading and it was the first life form to appear on the Earth. If it wasn't for cyanobacteria, none of us would be here right now, so it really is natural and almost good for the tank. But believe me, I have been against cyano in my tank since the day I started it, however I have gotten it down to just the bottom of the back glass behind the LR where no one can see it and my tank has no nitrates or phosphates, so it is ugly when out, but it is like having a natural skimmer. Take it for what it is worth though, I know it is an ugly litttle pest!!!!! Also does a lawnmower blenny eat this stuff??? I thought it was toxic?
Old 10/31/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Well, I had gotten rid of my Cyano and its BACK! I don't know why though. PO4 is Undetectable (Salifert) Nitrates 20ppm (Dosed to feed Caulerpa in refuge, which is also growing very well) I don't understand, I thought PO4 limited this stuff.
Old 01/21/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Getting rid of the red slime

Stan,

I'm thinking of trying your cure for the red slime. I would like to know what kind of fish you had in your tank when you tried this.
I'd hate to lose my coral & fish ...
Old 03/14/2006, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

"get some maracyn fresh water tablets and crush up..."

I was told this also and did everything I could think of but add chemicals because I'm that way. I finally was givning up when I tried the Maracyn trick and man did it do the trick. My 29 gal was free was slime in hours. It didn't come back until I got a frag with some from someone else.
Old 03/14/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Chemi-Clean did the trick for me. I can't say enough good things about this product.
Old 03/18/2006, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

i wish i would have read this a week ago, i just scrubbed down my tank yesterday and added all new sand...
Old 03/27/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

What does bubble algae look like?

I'm converting a 40 gal FO tank to reef, and am getting a serious brown diatom bloom, with a little red slime and patches of green, yellow and finally some purple. But all my rocks have little 1 to 2mm bubbles in the algae. Is this a problem? I figured it was just a bit of new tank type symptom since I just changed a bunch of stuff.

Phil
Old 04/21/2006, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Hmm My filter is pumping 295 gallons per hour and my power head is pumping up to 356 gallons per hour but it is pumping at the minimum since if I do pump it at full 356 gallons per hour, it would make it hard for my fishes to swim and my shrimps had to hold on.

So I am assuming that the total volume is being pumped is over 350 gallons per hour which is more than 10 x tank volume for the circulation....however I am still having the serious green algae problem.

I am using the RO water as well as my water parameters are GREAT! Is it possible that my tank is too new ?
Old 05/28/2006, 12:15 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I was told that this was canyo, its a pink slime alge that can not be sucked off

Last edited by maemae; 05/28/2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07/26/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

that looks alot like coraline