Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/25/2005, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Talking ViaAqua 418w tank setup

I recently bought a ViaAqua 418w tank (15gal) and want to do a small reef setup with some Seahorses eventually. I just started so thats a ways off. My setup is

*2" bed of live sand (about 1" of non-live sand)
*11 pounds of live rock
*2000 Millennium filter
*50w visitherm deluxe heater
*mixing distilled water with Seachem reef salt

Day 3 the tank is good so far, its cleared up and Im arranging the LR for maximum water flow and appeal. My concern is I don't have a protein skimmer yet and my room for one is very limited. I have about 4-4.5" inches on the back of the tank left, so I either need to find a small slender one or I could try and go with the ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer but that would be about $80 bucks more.

Also I do not have an additional powerhead for more flow in the tank, but as of now it seem to more ok.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
THANKS!

Steve
Old 09/25/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Due to the size of your tank, you might not need a skimmer.
If you have a sump (do you?) just through some bio rings, bio balls, and then some carbon. Thish should do enough so that you don't need a skimmer

Look @ my pic
Will add in a few minutes!
~Ben
Old 09/25/2005, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using a sump. So any suggestions would be great. I still need more flow and was thinking of a canister filter for using chemipure and getting additional flow (maybe lose the big filters inside).

My space is tight on top with the Millennium 2000 filter I have about 4"left across the back.

I'm beginning to think I may be alright with the setup as it is...

Steve
Old 09/25/2005, 11:47 PM
Team RC Member

I have the same tank. I use a regular Prizm skimmer and two Mini Jet powerheads. Why do you want the Millennium instead of a skimmer? You don't need and mechanical filtration as it will cause nitrates to build up.
I also have a Via Aqua Multiskimmer but its kind of a pain to keep adlusted and makes a lot of noise so I removed it for the Prizm.
For lighting, at first I added a second small fixture with 2x13w to go along with the 2x18w and it did pretty good until I added more LPS and some SPS. I have now switched to a 96w powerquad Aqualight from www.hellolights.com , it really lights the tank up and looks good despite hanging over about 1.5" on either side. With the optional leg kit it sets up high enough heat is not an issue as it has two fans in the fixture.
Old 09/26/2005, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

AZ thanks for the reply. I use the Millennium 200 because I thought I need some filtration and a way to keep the tank water clear, this is a new setup. What you are saying makes sense but does it do enough to keep the tank/water clean and clear? Do you have any photos of you setup to help also :-).

As for the mini power heads do you have a brand name or a retailer I can check online for these?

Thanks again

Steve
Old 09/26/2005, 09:28 PM
Team RC Member

The sand and rock do the filtration naturally. No mechanical filtration is needed nor wanted. With a skimmer removing organics and your sand and rock providing space for colonizing bacteria to grow you tank can be crystal clear. The powerheads are made by Aquarium Systems just like Maxijets. I think I have either 404s or 606s.
If you feel you must have filtration go for the Via Aqua Multiskimmer, it has filter pads that are pretty easy to remove and rinse clean. I still prefer no filter media though as it can raise nitrate levels if not maintained properly and corals do not like nitrates. I have pics but no way to post them here.
Old 09/27/2005, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Like AZDesert Rat said, just use a power head, and dirrect the flow

Ben