Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 09/27/2005, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Sumps: Is it recommended? And how this it work? How do you make one?

Sumps: Is it recommended? And how this it work? How do you make one?

I just set up my 55g, and wanted to know if I could or should set up a sump (maybe 10g sump due to room). If anyone knows what the basics are let me know. I already have a Remora Hangon Protien Skimmer. Thanks for the info.
Old 09/27/2005, 09:53 AM
ostensibly normal

This is a huge topic. Do some searching here or on google for lots more info. But here are some high points:

A sump is just a way to add more water volume to your system. It can be useful in many ways:

1. Makes your system more stable since you have more water volume.
2. Gives you a place to put equipment other than your display (heater, skimmer, pumps, etc).
3. Lets you add additional filtratation (mechanincal, biological)
4. Gives a place to set up a refugium (either with or without macroalgae) or other forms of filtration (plenum, DSB).
5. Makes for a good place to put additives so they can get mixed up before going to your main tank

To have a sump, you'll need someway to get water from the main tank to the sump, which is usually gravity-fed. One way is with a drilled tank or "reef-ready" tank. The other is with an overflow box. You'll also need a return pump strong enough to pump the water back up.

I love my sump and wouldn't set up another tank without one, but it does have some potential drawbacks:

1. More equipment which could fail. There is a higher change of flooding. If your overflow fails you will flood the main tank, and if your return pump fails you could flood your sump.

2. More pumps means more heat generation in your tank and more electricity consumption.

3. More maintainence: The sump needs to be cleaned every once in a while.

Hope this brief overview helps. I would recommend deciding what your system needs and then decide if a sump is the best way to meet your needs. Don't just add a sump to get one. For example, if you wanted a refugium, you could just add a hang-on one.
Old 09/27/2005, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

You don't have to use one, but it gives you all of the above.
Old 09/27/2005, 10:42 AM
Bogus Information Expert

This will give you some basics on tank set-up-
The New Tank Thread
and this hints on building a sump-
Marc's Reef

Tom
Old 09/27/2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

I started my tank without one and made the change after about a 12 months. I wish I started with one. I will never have a sumpless tank again.

It has all the perks as mentioned by theop.

I would say for the 3 downsides he listed I would reduce it down to just one, more $ for electrical.

I have my set so when all the power is off my sump can still hold 3-4 gals more, just in case. My return pump is in the sump so that reduces that flooding factor. As for the heat my temp hasn't been any more of an issue than it was with out the sump/fuge. Since I added about 15 more gals to the setup it is better equipped to handle the more heat factor

Check out Melev's site. I got all the info on tools and design I could want from him.

Happy tinkering