Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/26/2005, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

Curing live rock

I have fifty pounds of live rock coming in the mail in a few days. Just started up a 75g tank, was just wondering if I should cure the live rock in a separate tub or just put it in the tank and let it just cycle through in there. Have read about both ways and was just wondering which method works the best. Any feedback would be greaty appreciated.
Thanks
E
Old 09/26/2005, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

if there is no fish or invertabrates i would just go ahead and cycle the rocks in your tank and put the powerheads flow directions right on the rocks.
Old 09/26/2005, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

also remember to do test on your water quite freq.
Old 09/26/2005, 07:23 AM
Tang? What Tang!

IMO, I would cure it outside the tank for many reasons. One is if there is a lot of dieoff then it will stink pretty bad and the house will smell like dead stuff. Another is during the curing, the dieoff will end up getting on and in the sandbed (if you have one) and its hard to get it out to make it look clean again. Curing in tubs makes getting the rock out to inspect it for dying sponges ect a lot easier then reaching into a tank and risking scraping the glass or acrylic. These are just a few reasons why I cure in a tub, you can cure it in the tank, and if the die-off is not a lot, its a way to go I guess. Just make sure you have some water made up for changes, plenty of water movement and proper heat if needed. Also run a skimmer while you are curing, it helps. Good luck
Old 09/26/2005, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

If you don't mind the smell, AND don't have live stock, then cure it right in the tank. But either way, as everyone said, blow power heads on the rock. I would definately use the protein skimmer.
Old 09/26/2005, 09:00 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Eng
[welcome]

Another reason to cure outside the tank is to reduce the magnitude of the algae bloom that follows an initial cure. I talk about this and other mysteries of reefkeeping in The New Tank Thread.

Tom
Old 09/26/2005, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

how would i cure outside the tank tho? i would have to set up a whole new tank with the salt and all the proper water levels and get heaters in there and everything else too?
Old 09/26/2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

also, how you mentioned powerheads, i dont have any right now in the tank but how many should i purchase? would one be enough for a 55 gallon?
Old 09/27/2005, 10:29 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Mike,

Curing outside the tank is no major feat. A couple of plastic containers, some powerheads and heaters are all you need. Many people use garbage pails but I like shallower curing containers myself as it gives better gas exchange and lets more light reach the curing rock. You can pick large ones up around here for around $5 on sale. The powerheads are always useful after the cure as they can be used to mix up fresh salt mix, circulate a quarantine tank and to provide extra circulation when needed for a fussy coral.

Heaters can be used to preheat the newly made salt mix and I always like to use at least two in any tank in case one quits. It also promotes more even heating.

All the things needed to set up a proper curing system can be recycled to other uses as you progress in this hobby so it is not money wasted.

Tom
Old 09/27/2005, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

thanks for your help, so i can basically cure the rock in salt water with a couple of heaters and power heads?