Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Best Alk

what is the best alk level for optimum growth and color?
Old 11/01/2007, 08:13 AM
Psuedo Member

no more than 9 dk
I keep mine at 8.6 and 420 calc
main thing is keeping it consistant.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

You will get so many different answers on opposite ends of the spectrum you will not be able to count them. I've seen tanks at both ends of the normal range that are show tank quality with very healthy, growing, super colorful SPS. Just shoot for somewhere in the middle and keep it stable.
Old 11/01/2007, 01:29 PM
Psuedo Member

natural seawater is somewhere around 7.5-8 if I remember correctly. If we're trying to replicate nature then why not take cues from that environment.
Old 11/01/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Some folks reason for keeping it higher than NSW is that if your ALK supply were to stop(CA reactor, kalk, 2 part doser) then it wouldn't swing well below NSW. Folks claim that if it does you may see issues with STN.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Also, look at the Blu Coral Method where elevated alkalinity levels are used to successfully keep reef tanks. Just because it occurs in nature does not necessarily mean it is ideal for a reef tank (or anything else for that matter).
Old 11/01/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
Some folks reason for keeping it higher than NSW is that if your ALK supply were to stop(CA reactor, kalk, 2 part doser) then it wouldn't swing well below NSW. Folks claim that if it does you may see issues with STN.
I can vouch for that. I don't run it ultra high but around 9.6 - 10. Reactor went offline for a couple days and alk tanked (way low) = wiped out quite a bit.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:56 PM
Psuedo Member

to each their own. I was answering the question to the best of my knowledge. If some reefers run their alk high to compensate for a reactor failure then by all means, feel free. I know there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I personally would rather take other precautions to ensure no premature reactor failure.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedola
natural seawater is somewhere around 7.5-8 if I remember correctly. If we're trying to replicate nature then why not take cues from that environment.
NSW ranges from 6.5 - 8... It's personal preference. Unless your running ZEO or some other probiotic system that requires you to keep it close to NSW, you can go as high as you want. Wayne Sheng keeps his at 12dKH, top notch tank. I've also seen a lot that run NSW levels.
Old 11/01/2007, 03:37 PM
Island Jumper

Natural seawater refers to the ocean at large. Levels near the shore by the reefs are slightly elevated. Like stevedola said, whatever you decide to go with, keep it stable!
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 11/01/2007, 04:19 PM
Why do I live in IL?

I am now dealing with a bout of low alk . My reactor went offline for a full 5-7 days. Alk went from 9.0+ to 5.0ish. I also run Seachem salt so it was probably closer to 4.0 or so. Needless to say some things are NOT happy right now. I am just praying I dont lose much.... what a bummer man.
Old 11/01/2007, 04:29 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
I am now dealing with a bout of low alk . My reactor went offline for a full 5-7 days. Alk went from 9.0+ to 5.0ish. I also run Seachem salt so it was probably closer to 4.0 or so. Needless to say some things are NOT happy right now. I am just praying I dont lose much.... what a bummer man.
I wish you the best Horace.I just did the same but I didnt get that low and just now my milles have PE again.This was allmost 2 months ago.
Old 11/01/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

9dkh
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 11/01/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

11dkh
Old 11/01/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
Kurt, so sorry to hear that.... bummer, I hope things work out for you! I have had that happen when I get stuff in.... I'm paranoid now and test alk daily I'm also running mostly Seachem too...
Old 11/01/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

what test do you use? you must be going broke testing daily
Old 11/02/2007, 09:52 AM
lift it up tallways

I kept my alk at 11dkh for quite some time, until a couple of years ago I dropped it to 9dkh. Growth was the same, but my pumps stay clean for a much longer amount of time.

jm$.02

-e
Old 11/02/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spscrackhead
Nope.... Using LaMottes.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spscrackhead
shouldn't have to test everyday. usually once you get a rythem of how much to dose or once you get your cal. reactor set correctly you should only have to check once a week at the most
Old 11/02/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
shouldn't have to test everyday. usually once you get a rythem of how much to dose or once you get your cal. reactor set correctly you should only have to check once a week at the most
When I get 20 acro colonies in, the alk requirements are certainly different than when there are 2 left...... so yes, I do need to check frequently....
Old 11/02/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

that is why I said once you get a rythem. of course it will change everynow and then as corals grow or added more which you will need to adjust your rythem again. but if you leave the tank alone when you know what your tank uses you don't need to test everyday.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, this is happening much more frequently, like weekly.... I'm in a different place