Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/10/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Joe's Cherry Oceanic 120 Gallon Tech Tank

Well, after three months, I'm finally getting started on this tank. It's been a long process, from tearing out parts of my walls and ceiling to replace the plumbing of the entire house with CPVC pipe (I had help from a plumber with this), to closing the walls and ceilings back up. Now the tank is moved to its' final resting place. I've run two dedicated 15 amp electrical circuits to the tank, and just yesterday plumbed the drains and the overflows. My lighting is the 48 inch Outer Orbit Pro (2 X 250 watts HQI)w/ T-5's. I think I will hang the light, instead of using the legs. Right now I'm trying to come up with something to sit the remote ballasts on. I don't want them sitting on my carpet. Anyway, here are some pictures of the cherry trimmed tank and stand, as well as the sump. Oceanic makes two color schemes of Tech tanks, the black with black trim, and the black with cherry trim.
This tank will be bare-bottom, with probably two vortechs for flow. I'm researching a skimmer now, and looking at a BM 250 as a possible candidate. I want one that doesn't need mods. It must work like a champ right out of the box.
Here's a few pictures;

Any comments/criticisms appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07/10/2007, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Good looking start so far! I love the tech tanks.

Good to see another reefer from my area on here.
Old 07/10/2007, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Let me guess... Got it at That Fish Place, right?
Old 07/10/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted By Mishap;

"Good to see another reefer from my area on here."

Hey, thanks!!! Where are you from in PA.?
Old 07/10/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted By 20 20;

"Let me guess... Got it at That Fish Place, right?"

How did you know? I only live about fifteen minutes from there!!! I got a great deal on the tank and stand at the Anniversary Sale in March. Then went nuts on their "Wonderful Wednesdays" and their "Terrific Tuesdays". Were you over there during the sale?

Joe
Old 07/10/2007, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

I live in Sinking Spring...so about 20-25 minutes from you depending on how fast you drive.
Old 07/11/2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

Anyone have long-term experience with the BM 250 skimmer?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07/11/2007, 08:36 AM
Nano Reefer

Beautiful tank! The tech tanks sure are sleak, have any ideas on the stocking plans yet?
Old 07/11/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

nice tank good luck....berks county rules
Old 07/11/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

InLimbo87, I'm going for a mixed reef, with minimal live rock to enhance flow. I'll probably have a fairly large fish population, with this being a BB tank.

somethingphishy, thanks. Another PA. Dutchman checks in "vonced".
Old 07/11/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Mishap, do you work at TFP?
Old 07/11/2007, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Originally Posted By 20 20;

"Let me guess... Got it at That Fish Place, right?"

How did you know? I only live about fifteen minutes from there!!! I got a great deal on the tank and stand at the Anniversary Sale in March. Then went nuts on their "Wonderful Wednesdays" and their "Terrific Tuesdays". Were you over there during the sale?

Joe
Heh, Amish country, PA, and an Oceanic Tech? How could it NOT be That Fish Place!

I live about 40 minutes there, so I only get there once every other month, or so. I've been to a few of their sales, I think I was at the Anniversary sale. That place gets a bit nuts during the sales. Worst one was a tent sale last summer. What a frickin' zoo!
Old 07/11/2007, 10:55 PM
reef obsessed

Looks great so far. And both of you are lucky to be closed to that fish store.
Old 07/11/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

I want one of these tanks so bad.
Old 07/11/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

How much for the aquarium / stand ?? I've got an oceanic 72G bowfront aquarium with the cherry contrast collection stand that kills me due to the lack of space below the tank and I didn't know enough to purchase the reef ready version because the LFS didn't tell me that internal overflows were really handy when I bought it 2 years ago.
Old 07/12/2007, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

OneDayMatt, I bought my tank and stand at That Fish Place in March at their annual Anniversary Sale. I paid ~$450 for the tank and ~$300 for the stand.

drummerreef, I know I'm lucky to be so close to TFP! I don't need to mail order anything, and they run "30% off" almost everything in the store about every other month. Their policy is only one item at 30% off, per purchase, but I buy one thing at a time, and receive the 30% discount on everything!!! The only thing I don't appreciate regarding TFP is their livesstock.....it's not the healthiest (maybe because they carry so much). There are better places close by to purchase livestock.

20 20, I live on the other side of the river, in York County (beside Sam Lewis State Park).

Thanks All,

Joe
Old 07/12/2007, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

I'm in York County also, about 5 miles off of 83 just north of Maryland. And I agree with you on the quality of their livestock. Best place I've found is Exotic Aquatics just north of Baltimore, the quality of their livestock (fish and corals) is usually great. And a great selection of SPS. They usually have a 25% off marine fish sale every weekend, too. Where are these 'better places for livestock' that you mentioned? I'd like to check em' out.
Old 07/12/2007, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

Hey, 20 20,

Thanks for the LFS tip, Exotic Aquatics, north of Baltimore!!!
Check out "Tony's Tropical Fish And Birds" right along Rte. 83 just north of York. Here is his website with directions..... He has quality livestock and liverock, knows his stuff, and will talk your ear off!!!

http://www.tonystropicalfish.com/

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07/12/2007, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll definately check out Tony's!
Old 07/15/2007, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

You only paid 450 for the tank?????? OH MAN! SWEET! One Lfs wants 950 for just the tank then the other 827.00. Man you got a deal.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 07/15/2007, 03:27 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

looks great Joe!
the only question i have is why is the rocking chair facing the wrong direction?
good luck and keep posting progress on that sweeet 120, please!
JDM
Old 07/15/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted By MarineGirl411;

"You only paid 450 for the tank?????? OH MAN! SWEET! One Lfs wants 950 for just the tank then the other 827.00. Man you got a deal."

Yep.....As I said above, I bought it at "That Fish Place" retail store (the largest fish store in the world, according to them), during their annual Anniversary Sale. Then I also bought the stand during a 30% off day that they have weekly about every other month. The only thing they don't carry is a line of upper-notch skimmers, such as H & S, Deltec, BubbleKing, ATI, etc. Hence, I'm shopping for a skimmer.

Originally Posted By reefnetworth;

"the only question i have is why is the rocking chair facing the wrong direction?"

Ummm....Because I can't fit my big butt in that thing anymore!!!! That rocking chair is the one my parents bought for me when I was born, so it's kind of special to me.

Regards,

Joe
Old 07/15/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey reefnetworth,

My daughter just moved to Nashville about nine months ago. My wife and I were down to see her over Easter weekend. She took us to "Aquatic Critters" and that Aquarium Restaurant over at Opry Mills. Both real nice places. We took a behind-the- scenes tour of the aquariums at the restaurant. It was very impressive!!!
I was impressed with the quality of Aquatic Critters, but the prices were outrageous compared to That Fish Place.

Joe
Old 07/26/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Joe with a statement like that "I bought my tank and stand at That Fish Place in March at their annual Anniversary Sale. I paid ~$450 for the tank and ~$300 for the stand.

You got to post some kind of proof on that purchase price because that’s basically retailer cost!!!
Old 07/27/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Nope, I don't "got to post some kind of proof on that purchase price because that’s basically retailer cost!!!" .......You are free to have any opinion you wish!!!!!

Joe