Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

lets talk waveboxes

How does a unit like the Tunze wavebox work? Does it need to be fully submerged in the tank, with water in the top and out the hole at the bottom? Can it be mounted sideways?
Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 12/06/2007, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Tunze wavebox can only be mount straight up and down. There is a water line approx 1" below the top. The water will not come in through the top. It will come in side the wavebox during the pump stop through the pump nozzle. The wavebox will not work properly if you fully submerge or mount it sideway.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Yep. It needs an air chamber in order to fluctuate the water volume inside the box. I love my wavebox though. The wave effect is very natural and beautiful to watch (my pets like it too.)
Old 12/07/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

You can now achieve a similar effect using variable speed Tunze pumps (6055, 6000, 6100, etc) and the Aquasurf control module that hooks into the Neptune Aquacontrollers. Vortechs can also do this with their new wireless controller. The basic principle behind the wave effect is to generate a pulse of water movement in your tank to generate waves. The timing of these waves is such that they constructively interfere with each other to create a resonance wave, which basically results in a sort of rocking back and forth of water in your tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

I understand and admire the effect of a wavemaker. I was wondering if it would be possible to DIY , build one to spec that I could add to my tank without being intrusive or expensive.
Old 12/07/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

they have been done. But most cheaper pumps are AC current and the tunze is a DC pump. The switching off and on with an AC reduces the life very quick. There was one guy who made one from a MJ, do a google search, its on thre somewhere.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

I have found that when you hit the sweet spot for resonance some water comes in through the top.

Last edited by ljosh; 12/07/2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

my main concern is that I didnt plan my tank build with the wavebox in mind. I'm sure if there's a will, there's a way. thanks everyone, Matt
Old 12/07/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

The biggest challenge is to find a suitable DC pump.
Resun Waver 15000 is a pretty good candidate, but it comes with its own controller which is useless. If it can be controlled by a Tunze controller or AquaSurf then we're all set...