Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 11/22/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Yes, I push the sponge all the way down, but there are plastic pieces running along the bottom of the inside of the baffle, holding the sponge up above those slots. The sponge mostly floats up to the top of the baffle anyway......
Any other ideas?

Joe
Old 11/22/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Wow. My sponge will float one way. The other way if I push it down it stays down. Maybe your sponge is different. Is it the one that came with the sump? My next trip to That Fish Place I will check out the oceanic replacement sponges.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Jeremy,

Thanks for the quick responses! Yes, my sponge is the original one that came with the sump. I'm not sure it would matter if it stayed down at the bottom of the overflow anyway. The water, and those micro-bubbles, still are able to flow through those slots at the bottom of the baffle.

Joe
Old 11/22/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Joe,

Sorry I couldn't help ya. It seems like there's alot of local reefers in the area. Maybe sometime we could do a That Fish Place run with some local guys or gals.

Jeremy
Old 11/22/2007, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Joe:

Those power strips look interesting, where did you pick them up?

DB
Old 11/22/2007, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 20
I'm in York County also, about 5 miles off of 83 just north of Maryland. And I agree with you on the quality of their livestock. Best place I've found is Exotic Aquatics just north of Baltimore, the quality of their livestock (fish and corals) is usually great. And a great selection of SPS. They usually have a 25% off marine fish sale every weekend, too. Where are these 'better places for livestock' that you mentioned? I'd like to check em' out.
Im with you on that I am stationed on APG and I go up to TFP atleast 1-2 months just to get dry goods. But I will never put there corals in my tank they do not look as good and have a sick feeling on them. I always go to Exotic Aquatics. There stuff is good and I get 10% everytime I buy something.
Old 11/23/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by New to the reef
Joe,

Sorry I couldn't help ya. It seems like there's alot of local reefers in the area. Maybe sometime we could do a That Fish Place run with some local guys or gals.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!

Yes, let's do a TFP run soon, and thanks for the help on the sump. I'm going to check the replacement sump sponges at TFP, like you said.

Joe

Last edited by Joe; 11/23/2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11/23/2007, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DB06
Joe:

Those power strips look interesting, where did you pick them up?

DB

DB06,

Many people here on R/C use them......Here is the link to buy online, but I typed in my zip code and found a local dealer in Lancaster that had them for $ 29.99. By the way, thank you for your sevice to our Country!!!

http://www.americandj.com/product.as...ks_Controllers

Joe

Last edited by Joe; 11/23/2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11/23/2007, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by usmc121581
Im with you on that I am stationed on APG and I go up to TFP atleast 1-2 months just to get dry goods. But I will never put there corals in my tank they do not look as good and have a sick feeling on them. I always go to Exotic Aquatics. There stuff is good and I get 10% everytime I buy something.

usmc121581,

Thanks for your service to our Country!!!

I haven't made it down to Baltimore yet, but I plan to check that place sometime. Last Friday morning, I passed some Military Hummers on Route 83 North, in Maryland. It looked like they were going on maneuvers. You weren't in one of them, were you?

Joe
Old 11/23/2007, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Joe

No that might have been the Army doing something. I work on a Army base and sometimes dont understand the things they do. LOL. One day I might travel to Allentown. I hear theres a pretty good LFS up there. I forgot the name. Also I like to say its nice to see there are people within a short driving distance that are into reef keeping cant find them done here, and that still support the military.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Joe for the info on the Pwr strips....just ordered two.

DB
Old 11/28/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Hey New to the reef,

I was at That Fish Place today, and I checked their replacement sponges for the Oceanic sumps. All three sizes are the same either way you turn them. I don't know what kind of sponge came with yours.
"turbonegro" and "dwead" (both R/C'rs), were at my place on Tuesday, and they advised me to get rid of the sponge, and fill the sump up with alot more water.

Joe
Old 11/28/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

DB06,

You're welcome! You'll love them, I guarantee it!!!!!

Joe
Old 11/28/2007, 05:52 PM
Moved On

Hey Joe, Nothing wrong with using sponges, it definitely keeps microbubbles down to a minimum so none returns to the tank. But you need to rinse them out weekly along with your collection cup cleaning. If you get lazy, the sponge becomes a nitrate factory, then you really need that denitrator. I also agree that your sump water level should be higher. When your pumps are running, I would increase the sump water level to 1" above the pump partition, at the very most. No real need to have it any higher than that.
Old 11/28/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

You got some nice looking gear !!!!
Old 11/30/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

I went to TFP Wednesday, and picked up four Green Chromis. Everything is looking good, parameter-wise, so far. I don't usually buy their fish, but my favorite shop, Tony's Tropical Fish, retired. I have to think about how I'm going to elevate my rocks, before I get anymore, also.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Joe

Last edited by Joe; 11/30/2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Looking good. I live in York Co. as well.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sirgeez
Nice to see another york reefer!! After the holidays I'm going to get everyone from york together for a reef night. Hows that sound?

Joe good choice on the green chromis as a starter fish. I left a message with my friend about the rock. Did you put more water in your sump?

Bobby
Old 11/30/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Hey New to the reef,

I was at That Fish Place today, and I checked their replacement sponges for the Oceanic sumps. All three sizes are the same either way you turn them. I don't know what kind of sponge came with yours.
"turbonegro" and "dwead" (both R/C'rs), were at my place on Tuesday, and they advised me to get rid of the sponge, and fill the sump up with alot more water.

Joe
Hey Joe,

You know I've been kicking that idea around and just use a filter sock.

Thanks
Old 11/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by turbonegro;

Quote:
"Joe good choice on the green chromis as a starter fish. I left a message with my friend about the rock. Did you put more water in your sump? "

I'm mixing the saltwater now, to increase the level in the sump around 2~3 inches above the baffle. Then I'll remove the sponge. I placed a bag of carbon in the baffle yesterday. I think I'll take your advice and get a phosban reactor, and one to also run carbon in, as this bag leaves alot to be desired. The damn carbon floats, and that is a pain!

By the way, Bobby, I also took your recommendation and threw in four red-legged hermits. I wanted scarlet-reef, but they had just sold out.

Joe

Last edited by Joe; 11/30/2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by New to the reef
Hey Joe,

You know I've been kicking that idea around and just use a filter sock.

Thanks

Yea, I am taking turbonegro's and dweab's advice, and getting rid of the sponge and raising the water level. When you stop and think about it, more water is a GOOD thing!

Joe
Old 11/30/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

I'm sure it was mentioned previously but what type of light fixture is it?
Old 11/30/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sirgeez

We'll meet up one of these days. Good to have you along!

Joe
Old 11/30/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chumm
I'm sure it was mentioned previously but what type of light fixture is it?

It's a 48 inch Current Outer Orbit Pro 2 X 250 watt T-5 combo unit. I love this light, but the fans are a little loud. I may look into replacing them.http://www.current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html

Joe
Old 12/04/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Good Looking Progress, did you plumb that skimmer to your overflow drain line?.....