Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Hi, Bobby,

I hear you on the metal clamps. I'll replace them. Yes, I have to get some filter socks from TFP. Thanks again for the advice.

Joe
Old 10/29/2007, 03:35 PM
Moved On

Yes, I concur with the metal clamp, use plastic instead. You can always use tie straps on the vinyl tubing that is over a barb fitting, it's cheap and works perfectly.

Also, just a suggestion, plumb the 2 exhaust over to the front left corner where the skimmer's exhaust is and use a BIG filter sock bag (200 micron) to filter out all the detritus. Your beautiful sump will stay cleaner and lower nitrate buildup. Also, the front is much easier to change out the filter sock every few days.

What a nice setup, so clean looking. If you plumb the exhaust of the overflow to the front left, you'll have space for the denitrator and phosban reactor on the front right where the PVC plumb was emptying into the sump. LOL

Since you're in line every Tuesday for the 30% sale, want to pickup something for me too? J/K
Old 10/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Mobb Hitman

I see you have a recirc skimmer. I've never used a recirc skimmer in-sump. Do you know if it'll run right with water "around" it?
Old 10/29/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Hi, AngeloM3

A recirculating skimmer (external) installed in-sump will not be affected in any way by having water "around" it. At least, this is what I'm told by Ed at KM Assoc., Int'l. and Klam114, a member here. A recirc. skimmer is about 15-20% more efficient than an in-sump model. The pump on a recirc. has only one job to do, and that is to infuse air into the skimmer. A pump on an in-sump model must not only infuse air, but also pump water into the skimmer. I haven't run this skimmer yet, so I'm no expert. Dee, "Reef Sponger", has the same model I do. Dee, how about it?

Joe
Old 10/29/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted By Reef Sponger;

"Since you're in line every Tuesday for the 30% sale, want to pickup something for me too? J/K"

Sure, what do you need?

Joe
Old 10/29/2007, 06:45 PM
Moved On

The nicest thing about a recirculating skimmer is that you can run it in sump or externally, so you have a CHOICE. There's a big misconception that recirculating skimmers must be run externally. I run mine in sump, right next to the denitrator.

The safety in running it in sump is if there's ever an accidental overflow, the skimmer is in sump already. Also, when removing the pump for quarterly cleaning, the water that empties out of the skimmer when the pump is removed, just empties into the sump. BTW, the water inside the skimmer is clean, the waste is in the collection cup, another misconception. The H&S A150 is pretty much completely immuned to any sump water changes or water around it as long as the sump water level is below the exhaust T fitting, which I think is 17"H.

I was just kidding about shopping for me. I don't really need anything. But I have my eye on a 90g Tech for a long time now, but just too busy with travels to even think about switching tanks.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
That is a great deal, especially because the first thing in the exclusions is aquariums, how did you pull that of?
Great job on all the work so far.
Spleify
Old 10/29/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

spleify,

I purchased the tank at their annual Anniversary Sale. I didn't use a coupon for that.

Joe
Old 10/29/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Here are a few pictures of "That Fish Place" on their Anniversary Sale weekend......................................

Waiting for the doors to open.......

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Children's "Touch Tank"......

[IMG][/IMG]

Part of The Salt Water Fish Room.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Some of the coral display.......

[IMG][/IMG]

Bagging Station..........

[IMG][/IMG]

One of the display tanks.........

[IMG][/IMG]

My youngest son by another display.........

[IMG][/IMG]

These pictures will give you some idea about the size of this place. It's like a Wal-Mart of pet centers.

Joe
Old 10/30/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

I returned the two original Vortech pumps I purchased, and bought two of the new Vortech Wireless Wave pumps. Thanks to That Fish Place for allowing me to return the originals. Here they are mounted to my tank (one on each side).
I have the new skimmer in my bathtub at the moment. It's running with a 10:1 solution of water and vinegar, to remove any manufacturing oils in it. I'll let it run for about one~two hours. Then, I'll run it with some saltwater and some skimmate from my small skimmer on my other tank.
Here's the picture;

[IMG][/IMG]

Joe
Old 10/30/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

did you get the wireless vortec for TFP?
Old 10/31/2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turbonegro
did you get the wireless vortec for TFP?

Yes. Model MP-40W. They just got them in yesterday (Tuesday). If you want any, I'd call first, and see if they have any left. While I was picking my two up, someone else was there getting two.

Joe
Old 10/31/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Nice setup !!
Old 10/31/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mg426
Nice setup !!

Thanks! I relate to your "motto" about turning a large fortune into a small one

Joe
Old 11/03/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I placed some shelves on the wall beside the tank for my power center, and built a simple filter sock holder. We'll see how it works shortly. I'm almost ready for water.......

Joe

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11/05/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

wow your tank is very similar to mine. This should be cool as we are both setting up similar tanks about the same time.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

joe I just got mytank and sump, waiting on the lights.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Joe , im also getting the outer orbit 250. How do you like it?
Old 11/05/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Hey Currentking,

Remember to get some pics of that bad boy as soon as you can. I can't wait to see it!

Joe
Old 11/05/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by currentking
Joe , im also getting the outer orbit 250. How do you like it?

Of course I haven't used it much yet, but it is a heavy fixture and very well-made, in my opinion. How are you going to hang yours?

Joe
Old 11/05/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pdfb55
wow your tank is very similar to mine. This should be cool as we are both setting up similar tanks about the same time.
Hey Kyle,

Let's keep in touch....This will be fun!

Joe
Old 11/05/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

I wish I could get a killer deal on vortex. I'm gonna have to sell my first born for them
Old 11/05/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

joe, is your stand a little wobbly? Mine is wobbly front to back a little. I hope it holds up with water
Old 11/05/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Yes, currentking, my stand is a little wobbly, front to back. It's about half full of water now. I'm sure it will be alright.

I got my two wireless Vortechs for $293.00 each. Hey, tomorrow's "Terrific Tuesday", c'mon up and I'll hook you up with a couple coupons!!!

Joe
Old 11/05/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

where did you get the flexable drain line hose?