Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

good luck with your new tank i wish i had the money right now to get a new one im thinking 125 or 150 but that means all new equipment except for the skimmer and i really don't want to shell out 1000 for lights again and build a new sump so i might just stick with what i got for now but you should up load more pics. so i can live through you!!! ahah
Old 08/03/2007, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

looking very good...im sure this tank will look great since you're getting all the right components!

question...i noticed you are using some flex-spa tubing for the drains...are they glued into the bulkheads or placed around the bulkheads? are those 1" bulkheads?
Old 08/03/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Hey, czerbe,

I haven't really done anything new. I'm looking at skimmers.

Gooli,

The flex-spa tubing is just slipped over the barbed ends of the 1 inch drain bulkheads. The returns are 3/4 inch.

Joe
Old 08/16/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Update......I've hung the light, and as you can guess, it was more involved than installing the hanging hardware by screwing the cables to joists in the upstairs floor! I wanted to install the fixture between the joists, as luck would have it. So, I had to cut holes in the drywall ceiling in my family room and install 2" X 6" inch boards between the joists, so I had something to screw the Current Outer Orbit 250 watt MH/T-5 fixture hanging hardware into. This fixture is heavy, and I didn't trust using the supplied "butterfly" nuts that came with the hanging kit. Anyway, here are a few pictures of the install.....
Did I mention I HATE drywall??????

Cut-Out Holes In Drywall Ceiling;

Installation Of 2" X 6" Boards

Screw In The Cut-Out Area With Drywall Piece Originally Cut Out;

First Coat Of Spackling To Let Dry And Sand;

Hang-Ware Installation Complete;

Joe

Last edited by Joe; 08/16/2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08/16/2007, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

looks good. How many inches off the surface of the water will that be? Looks like it might be a little tall. The closer to surface gives better penetration, but will add more heat to the tank. I have my AB 250s six inches off the surface and I am evaporating 2 gal/day with a temp of 81 F in the summer.
Old 08/16/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Hi, Mike,

I have this fixture about ~7 inches off the top of the future water level now, but the hanging kit is fully adjustable (up & down). You're right about temp. & evap........

Joe
Old 08/19/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Just ordered a 120 myself. Tagging along. One question though: why an eheim for the return pump? I've been trying to figure out why they cost more than other pumps (I've looked at the mags and quiet ones).
Old 08/20/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Hi, msn711,

To answer your question regarding the Eheim; I have read many times that Eheim pumps are the best, and quiet. That's the opinion I've come to after quite a few years of research. Some people may disagree. I will find out for myself, because I've not had an Eheim before. As far as the price, I bought this Eheim 1260 for ~$ 70.00 at "That Fish Place", during one of their "Terrific Tuesday" sales (30% off almost everything in the store!!). At prices like that, why not try the best?
Thanks for your interest, and good luck with your 120 tank!!! Let's see some pics!!!!!

Joe
Old 08/20/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Update......I've hung the light, and as you can guess, it was more involved than installing the hanging hardware
Wait, why isn't it just this simple? I was thinking about hanging one in my apartment, but if it's that complicated, I'll go back to looking at fixtures.

I'd love to post some pics, but the 120 isn't here yet. Hopefully, Wed.
Old 08/20/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

"Wait, why isn't it just this simple? "

It would have been very simple if I had something , like a floor joist, to screw the hanging hardware into.....I suppose I could have used the butterfly nuts that came with the kit, and hope the drywall was strong enough to hold this fixture. I chose to "sleep well" and probably over-build, in this situation. Does anyone else believe I over-did it with hanging this light? Here is a thread I responded to, and was chastised by another member for over-compensating..........

Installing A Light

You can do what you want, and you may already have a good, solid ceiling to install your light.

Joe
Old 09/22/2007, 11:53 PM
Moved On

looks good!
Old 10/05/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

so any new updates?
Old 10/07/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Hi, Jen & John,

Sorry, nothing to add yet..I'm still checking skimmers. I've taken a second job so I haven't had much time...6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. doesn't allow me to do much!! I've just handed my notice on the second job, so I'll get back to my tank shortly.

Thanks for checking!

Joe
Old 10/07/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Can't wait to see some progress. I went with the same lights on my 120, but I'm using the legs. So it's probably only 3-4" off of the glass, but the temps have been ok so far. I'm still acclimating everything to the new lights, so the halides are only running for 4 hours.
Old 10/07/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

msn711,

Got any pics? I'd love to see some!!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10/07/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Hello Joe, I live in east york also! I've got a full blown 180 gal sps tank with equip room in the basement. A friend and I want to start a reefclub here in york and are looking for anyone that wants to get together once in awhile and talk reef. Let me know if you need any help with anything. Thanks Bobby
Old 10/07/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Hey Bobby,

Finally, someone from York that I can talk to!! How about Tony's closing? Too bad......Anyway, thanks for the offer of help. I'm sure I'll be asking you for some direction. I'm interested in a reef club locally. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks Again,

Joe
Old 10/17/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Update.......

I finally decided to purchase an H & S A150 skimmer from Ed Lum at KM Associates. I must say, a very friendly, helpful person to deal with! I also went to "That Fish Place" yesterday afternoon and purchased two Vortechs. The 30% Off sale was going on there, so I got them for $230.00 each. Not bad, I think.
I still need the controller and the battery back-up for these. TFP doesn't carry them yet. Gosh, I hate to pay full price!!!! Also, Ed has me talked into a nitrate reactor, I think.

That's all for now.....

Joe
Old 10/20/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

Joe, thats a sweet tank. Good job on the price. I too just purchased the same tank and stand but in black. Then my lfs called me and told me that he got in an oceanic 150 ultimate from a guy that wrote a bad check nad asked it I wanted it for 400. I jumped on it. The only problem is it wasnt drilled. He said he would drill it for me becasue the bottom of the ultimate is not tempered. Now my delima is to have stand pipes or go with an overflow? How is the oceanic sump? Is it worth the money? I too plan on buying the vortech's, but I will be using an Ae tech skimmers reef devil delux.
Old 10/20/2007, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Currentking,

That's a hell of a price for that 150 ultimate!!!! Post pics as soon as you get it. That will be one awesome tank!!!

The Oceanic sump is very well-built, and weighs a ton. I had to remove the top of the Tech stand to fit it in there. It's just a hair too big to go through the side doors. I think it's worth the price, but I didn't pay retail on that either. I got 30% off from That Fish Place.
Start a thread on your new tank when you get it, and pm me, so I can subscribe!!!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10/25/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Update.....

I just received my new skimmer....an H&S A150-F2001. I'm hard-plumbing this thing directly from one of the overflows. This should be fun.........

Joe
Old 10/27/2007, 11:52 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Update.......

I finally decided to purchase an H & S A150 skimmer from Ed Lum at KM Associates. I must say, a very friendly, helpful person to deal with! I also went to "That Fish Place" yesterday afternoon and purchased two Vortechs. The 30% Off sale was going on there, so I got them for $230.00 each. Not bad, I think.
I still need the controller and the battery back-up for these. TFP doesn't carry them yet. Gosh, I hate to pay full price!!!! Also, Ed has me talked into a nitrate reactor, I think.

That's all for now.....

Joe
Ahhh, so you picked up the H&S A150, great choice. I have that on my 180g and it's the best skimmer I've ever had on that tank. Your 30% off prices are killing us, I hope you know that. Don't need to keep rubbing salt in our wounds. I also have the H&S 110SR Denitrator and works like a charm. In a fish only tank that has always been 50-65ppm range, it's consistently below 15ppm. I need to remeasure with a more accurate test kit to know what is the nitrates really at. Congrats for finding KM Associates Int'l in San Francisco, I purchase both my new skimmers and the denitrator from them as well.
Old 10/28/2007, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

That's a good looking tank. I'm jealous
Old 10/29/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Another update.....with pictures. Ed Lum at K & M Int'l (where I purchased the H & S skimmer) has been invaluable with his willingness to help me with the plumbing of the sump. What an expert! I really need help with this part of the build! If anyone has any other suggestions after viewing the pictures below, please offer your advice.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

For people wanting to purchase an Oceanic Tech tank, here is the way to tell if the tank you are buying has the front panel of "Starfire" glass....underneath the bottom tank glass, the small, white tag shows the persons name that built the tank, and a code for the date of manufacture. If the tag has a date of October 2006 or later, you have the Starfire front pane. As this example shows, the "K' (eleventh letter of the alphabet) indicates the 11th day, the 11 shows the month, and the 06 shows the year. Any tank manufactured prior to October of '06 has the "Ultra-Clear" glass.

[IMG][/IMG]

And finally, for you, Reef Sponger, please see below

[IMG][/IMG]

Joe
Old 10/29/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

looking good joe. only thing is your going to want to get rid of those metal clamps. they will rust over time. Do you have filter soxs planned into your design?