Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/01/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

lighting

Is there such a thing as too much light? I had a 210 system that I had to sell fast due to selling the house and we're building a new one. I've tried unsuccessfully to sell my lights which were 3 reef optix III pendants w/ 3 Ushio 250w de bulbs and IceCap 250 electronic ballasts and 2 6 ft. URI bulbs w/ a 660 ballast. Since I've had no interest, I'm thinking I'll set up a tank but it must be smaller due to size of room. Would this be absolute overkill on a 125 gallon? Any thoughts?
Old 01/01/2007, 12:42 PM
"Old Yeller"

I would lean towards 3X150's on a typical 6' 125 but you could use the 3X250's without too much issue I bet. Acclimation might be an issue for a few corals but I would not get to worried about it.

I am not sure what the URI bulbs are however... pretty sure what ever they are, they are not needed
Old 01/01/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

lighting

The URI's are T-12's, one actinic, one super actinic. I have a new reefkeeper that I was going to use to time everything. Stinks, cause It all has never come out of their new boxes. If the tank were taller, would that make a difference for anything on the bottom of the tank?
Old 01/01/2007, 12:52 PM
"Old Yeller"

Well they would make good for color then, I would want at least a 19" deep tank for the 250W setup and you could push 24" if you had a DSB. Sort of takes you out of the 125G region however.