Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > ANCHOR (Aquarists of the Nature Coast Helping Other Reefers)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 08:30 AM
ANCHOR member

Faois ?

John , do you ever visit our forum . If you do please feel free to post a comment , from time to time . Ted
Old 12/18/2007, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Yes I do.

“Because I'm hard you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn!” – Gunnery Sgt. Hartman
Old 12/18/2007, 11:44 AM
ANCHOR member

It makes me feel good to know , that you are with us .

The truth is out there , Ted
Old 12/18/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

John, Good to see you.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

John,

Seeing that you are in the neighborhood periodically, can you give us an idea on the id of these peppermint shrimp? They have taken up residence in my stone crab traps out in the Gulf. So I know that they have an appetite for stinky rotten chicken. But was wondering if they are the type that would eat aiptasia?

Thanks,
Jim

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12/20/2007, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Hard to tell from those photos but they appear to be what was called Lysmata rathbunae. Recently, the Lysmata genus has undergone some corrections so rathbune may no longer be valid. I'm being cheap by not purchasing the article but instead hope to find it on one of the free online journals.

Bring some by and I'll take a closer look.

“Because I'm hard you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn!” – Gunnery Sgt. Hartman
Old 12/21/2007, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Take a Saturday off and join our club's meeting. You are always welcome.

BTW, my water is improving greatly. The hair algae is being defeated. I am working hard to follow the schedule we worked out, but am changing things every other day instead of every day.

Still, I am very grateful for the personal service and help you gave me last week.

MERRY FESTIVUS, whatever that is... and MERRY CHRISTMAS... I know what that is!

Diane
Old 12/21/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

dmbedard
feel free to share your schedule - always good to add to the pool of knowledge
glad you are winning the war agains the ha

Gatorolsen
Old 12/21/2007, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

Festivus

Old 12/21/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Thank you. Now I know which holiday I want to celebrate and have added to the pool of knowledge and trivia.

Kerry -

Due to my ro/di filters not being changed regularly and my well water being full of sediment, I have been doing water changes with nasty water. Lots of phosphates and nitrates have contributed to a bad environment for my aquatic life - and the sps have let me know by turning white and not growing.

I have had bouts with cyanobacteria and hair algae since setting up the 180 in October, but was using bad water for over a year!!!
John and his staff tested my water from my tank & my ro system and figured it out and kindly added to my knowledge of when to change the ro filter, as well as the di resin, which we did.

Additionally, I got a MRC 2 beckett skimmer with the 180 that didn't have a pump, so I wasn't skimming the water. I bought a used pump on rc, but it died pretty quickly. I got a pump for the skimmer and started pulling out lots of wet yuk.

Now, I am supposed to change my water daily, after stirring the sediment at night and then get up in the morning and remove the filter socks and do a water change (23 gal is what my new water change system does).

I've been doing it every other day, but I think I am seeing results already. (It's been about 10 days).

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Diane
Old 12/22/2007, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
It's all about export.