Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/11/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Sweeet job guys. Damn they finished that place up fast!
Old 02/11/2007, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Sweeet job guys. Damn they finished that place up fast!
Old 02/11/2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Listen, I here an echo in here.
Old 02/12/2007, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Hey gentlemen,

that looks like a solid set up!!! I love the rock work you did in there. On the subject of skimmers I wouldn't change what your doing on the brand. Your a dealer for Deltec use them! I love them and I don't get phone calls regarding problems with them. When that is plugged into the equation as you said, you sleep at night. That's worth everything.

My plans are to come down there on the 23rd (Friday). I am working on flights so hopefully when we get together I can see this beast in person.

Jeff
Old 02/12/2007, 12:35 AM
TRC Leader

That looks awesome.

Naga, I never noticed your occupation before. How'd I miss that?!
Old 02/12/2007, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

dunno.............I've certainly been around for a while I met John and Brian at MACNA this past year. Good Guys for sure!
Old 02/12/2007, 03:34 AM
Premium Member

sorry about the triple post!!! haha not sure how that happens! that LR is so nice- well aquascaped guys- who is gonna take credit brian or john?
Old 02/12/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

What is that gadget the contractor is using on his leg on page 8? Never seen that before.
Old 02/12/2007, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Those are drywall stilts.
Old 02/12/2007, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NAGA
Hey gentlemen,

that looks like a solid set up!!! I love the rock work you did in there. On the subject of skimmers I wouldn't change what your doing on the brand. Your a dealer for Deltec use them! I love them and I don't get phone calls regarding problems with them. When that is plugged into the equation as you said, you sleep at night. That's worth everything.

My plans are to come down there on the 23rd (Friday). I am working on flights so hopefully when we get together I can see this beast in person.

Jeff
No doubt in setups like this one, only the most reliable equipment should be considered, and money should not be an objection.

How about a live webcam in the waiting room to point at the tank when it's done?
Old 02/12/2007, 05:43 PM
Team RC Member

GMFett - Thanks for the nice replies. If our tank ends up half as nice as yours, we will have accomplished a lot. To answer your question, John is the aquascape wizard and is primarily in charge of the tank and its contents, while Brian is the fabricator of the clean plumbing, controller panel, sump, light rack, etc. They make a handsome couple, don't they? I was, at one time, helpful in the planning of the system, but my role has diminished significantly since the install began. Now I'm mostly a cheerleader and a consultant with occasional valuable input. Oh yeah, and I'm responsible for financing.

jacmyoung - Thanks, as well. I'm going to have to veto the live webcam request, as this may violate the rights of our patients.
Old 02/12/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

This is turning out quite nicely and I am tagging along as my tank, ( http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=970914 ) is of the same size.

If you notice anything you would see as something you would like to have a "do over" and do differently, let me know.

How do you feel about the overall depth and height of the tank? Does the 36"depth and 30" tall look as huge as I would hope in person? I just realize size won't be done justice on camera is why I ask and I, myself, am curious if it gives off a 'WOW' effect when looking at it as it seems to in pictures comparitivly.

I cannot wait to see the final aquascaping and stocking, yours will be done faster than mine by a month or two at least. Great job fast work and impressive I say!
Old 02/12/2007, 07:19 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks, Mahlhavoc, for the compliments. I checked out your thread, and I think your stand is too wimpy. just kidding, but you can see how I'm tainted by the 1000 pounds'o steel that are holding up my tank.

As far as what I would change, I guess we could have made the overflow larger, but that may have interfered with the CL returns and the waveboxes, so our layout may be just right. I don't see a lot I would change thus far, but we're still early in the setup process so ask again later.

I wish we would have gone 48" deep, like GMFett's tank. When walking around the side of his tank, the depth is simply amazing, and I don't quite get that with 36". I am thankful for every 30" of height we chose. It is impressive walking through the door of the office and seeing the tank, that's for true.
Old 02/12/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
Thanks, Mahlhavoc, for the compliments. I checked out your thread, and I think your stand is too wimpy. just kidding, but you can see how I'm tainted by the 1000 pounds'o steel that are holding up my tank.
HEY NOW! no reason to get nasty!

I am actually really worried my stand is not strong enough for a long haul so don't make me start nail biting now! I have never built a stand before and doing a first run at a 450g stand can make a man lose hair. . wait, I already have lost it

Well, I think overall I can wish for more tank, but you have to say WHEN sometime, and too much tank I may be sorry about later in cost and upkeep. Keep up your great work!
Old 02/12/2007, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Yes for average casual guests, I found the biggest WOW factor is the height of the tank not the depth. I went from 24" to 30" tall and the reaction was amazing.

But if you spend time to investigate the tank, like every hobbyist does, the extra depth will take your breadth away.

I doubt most of your patients will notice the depth but they sure will have their jaws on the floor seeing how tall the tank is--the in your face factor. Isn't this how most public aquariums design their tanks?
Old 02/13/2007, 09:40 PM
I brake for sps

What a sweet freaking set up!
Old 02/14/2007, 09:52 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester

jacmyoung - Thanks, as well. I'm going to have to veto the live webcam request, as this may violate the rights of our patients.
Come on! Give us something!! ... How about an after hours night cam with LED night lights if nothing else!
Old 02/14/2007, 10:43 AM
Team RC Member

fishypets - Thanks, just hope it will look as good as your former tank. BTW, I heard a rumor that your new tank is in - can't wait to see it develop.

Bax - I'll talk with the Kingfish guys and see if they can fit that into the budget.

Water tests were done and there was no ammonia or nitrates, so last night we put the first 2 fish into the tank, a yellow tang and a royal gramma. As of this morning they're both looking good. We'll start feeding tonight.

One of the 3 metal halides was hung, and it looks sensational. I can't wait until the others are installed, but we have to wait until the guys doing the cabinetry remove the temporary cover so that Brian and John can have access to the ceiling above the tank.
Old 02/14/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Just so ya'll know, I do not typically recommend putting fish in a tank on the fourth day it was setup! We did several things in advance to this tank to make the cycle less harsh (or non-existent) and I'll outline them below (so that others may learn from my mistakes or success).

1) Used all live sand. It clears faster, is populated with bacteria, worms, pods, etc. already, and we hate rinsing dry sand. The price difference really isn't much so I personally will never use dry sand again. I mean seriously how much is your time worth? Our fish refugium used dry sand and it took me an hour to rinse 3 bags.

2) The live rock for this tank came in to my store in December. It goes through a 2 stage curing process (or 3 in some cases). First, it sits in a vat with a beckett skimmer (skimming very very wet), carbon, and zeolith then gets a 100% water chance one week into the process. It then goes into final curing (when it stops smelling) in a 2 vat system skimmed by a Deltec AP702. From there, big pieces were put into our fish system to further establish the bacteria.

3) The fish we put into the tank had been QT'd in my system for almost a month and were chosen for their hardiness.

4) The tank has a big Deltec
Old 02/14/2007, 03:05 PM
TRC Leader

Way to go guys. Lots of hard work getting done in record time.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

I appreciate it Marc. Let this thing grow out for a bit and we'll have ya'll down to Austin for a little tank tour. In the meantime, we are having a frag swap (with MAAST and ARC) March 18th and everyone following this thread is invited. More info here:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/forums...opic.php?t=968
Old 02/22/2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Sorry for the lack of updates but we've had a few snags in the grand scheme of the tank.

1. Tank is going through a pretty bad bacterial bloom. The water is very cloudy but will clear in time (I have no idea if this is at all related to the bio activator packets we used that came with the ocean direct sand).

2. A faux cabinet is up, making access to the tank minimal to non-existent. We did take down the panels and installed the remainder of the lighting. Right now, I decided to put a 12k Reeflux on the end of the tank to simulate a deeper water look... I also won't lie, it's UGLY when the bulb lit. I'm hoping the 12k mellows with time but I'll probably sub another 10k.

3. Temperature control was going to be provided by an aquarium specific AC unit and thermostat. Problem is, they don't exist. Currently the tank runs between 80 and 82 and they're installing our AC unit.

So progress since the last update;

Lighting finished
Diatoms started (hehe)
Topoff finished
Electrical finished
Calcium and kalk reactor ready for water

Current livestock includes:

(4) Peppermint shrimp
(4) Cleaner shrimp
(1) Yellow Tang
(1) Royal Gramma
(1) McCoskeri Wrasse Male
(2) Rainfordi Gobies
A bunch of snails

Hopefully we'll have new pictures soon.

John

Last edited by thedude15810; 02/22/2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02/22/2007, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

The best reefers also post the bad stuff--- thank you
I hope this is the worst of the journey for you and this great tank
Old 02/27/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Hey John, you should get some of those drywall stilts to do maintenance with, but you might have to call you insurance guy that there is a chance you can fall and drown in this tank. I must say a very nice build so far. Yet another job well done.

Last edited by dark8nge1; 02/27/2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02/28/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

H-U-G-E ! What are your plans for substrate? Bare bottom? Sand?