Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > ANCHOR (Aquarists of the Nature Coast Helping Other Reefers)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Tell us about your tank

Ok, I liked the suggestion of sharing info about tanks. Some of us have been able to see tanks in person but for the others that have not yet been able to attend a meeting this might entice them

So, why not post 3-5 pics of your tank and give a little info as to what got you started and what your favorite tank inhabitant is

Gatorolsen
Old 12/31/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Well what got me started was a free 75 gallon tank. ok well at the time I thought it was free. From that point on I got addicted and started reading anything I could get my hands on. Then I bought a 90 gallon reef tank and I was running both of them. after another year I desided to combine both systems into what I have now. a 125 Reef with a 27 gallon refugium and 27 gallon sump. I have 900W of metal halide lighting all Hamilton 14K bulbs. Slowly I have been changeing to a SPS domintated tank. I am currently running a Euro Reef RS80 skimmer that I had with my old setup. I just got a new skimmer today a percision Marine Bullet 3 rated for 400gallons. I can't wait to get it setup!!! My fish load is a bit high for this tank. My favorite fish is my powder blue tang. my favorit coral wow that is hard Well LPS would be my torch coral, softy would be my collony of hairy mushrooms or cabbage leathers, My fav. SPS would have to by my Blue Blue tip stag.

Here are a couple of pictures of my setup.

Some of these pictures are older but I didn't have anything newer.

Great Idea on the Thread hope it helps get people more involved.

any question on my setup please ask.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/31/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Well now that I look at the pictures again they are all old :-( I need to update my photoalbum.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 01/01/2008, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Great set-up Roger. Your pics are so clear, nice photos. I love how your tank is framed in. In the wall tanks are so cool.

I know what you mean about old pics, I haven't posted any either b/c I just realized how old my photos on the computer were. Maybe my new years resolution can be to finally organize and update all that stuff.

Gatorolsen Tanks

My tanks - started out with a freebie too - was dating a marine biologist (now husband) in '99 who convinced me sw was easier than fw (he was right) but didn't warn me about the addictive part

always wanted a mandarin goby - but by the time I had researched one I realized it would be too hard for a beginner so set up a 45 gal as a coral tank (and also temp. hosted lots of cool stuff my husband brought home - sea robin was the coolest)

then got interested in seahorses - realized 45 wasn't right set up so used lfs trades (love xenia) to get 12 gal retrofit eclipse- more research and realized that was too small. meantime moved into a house and convinced husband it was easier to move into a new tank rather than tear down and set up 45 in a day, especially since I had found a deal on a 55 gal. Added plus, when we got married and moved "found" a 50 gal in my husbands stuff and took over that too.

so tank count is now

55 gal coral tank - love my pink skunk clowns nesting in the xenia

12 gal clownfish and anemone - RBTA just split

50 gal seahorse tank - 2 very prolific mated pairs

10 gal (and misc. jars) of seahorse fry

brine shrimp hatcheries on patio for sh fry

2- 2.5 gal fw tanks with a cichlid and guppies (started off as tiny babies accidentally mixed in w/ live ghost shrimp feeders) now all sh taking frozen and apparently all guppies do is eat, poop and breed.

and.... someone gave us a 75 w/ all filtration... hmm.
also we will have to replace carpet this year, since I'll have to break down the 55 to move it, wouldn't that be a good time to think about upgrading the stand and canopy?

Gatorolsen
Old 01/06/2008, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I started my reef when I moved to FL. I had a big pond in MI, got tired of looking at it coved in ice. Stared with a 150 gal, I now have a 210 gal.

Old 01/06/2008, 09:29 PM
ANCHOR member

I would love to tell you about my tank , but I don't have anything in it yet . Except some DIY rock , and fresh water . Ted
Old 01/11/2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Steve, great pics and your pond pics make me so happy I live in FL

Ted, so what are the plans for your tank. What kind of inhabitants are you thinking?

Gatorolsen
Old 01/11/2008, 07:09 PM
ANCHOR member

Keri , I'm not going to go crazy . The General says $$$ is tight . If I want to keep my tank , I have to keep the cost down . Ted