Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 04:35 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
I don't use salt mixes these days. Nice fringe benefit of running a wet lab is the use of NSW from a SW well

However, when I have used SW mixes of various brands over the years, they all would clump with exposure to moisture in the air. Wouldn't happen if they used anti caking agents like gettanked claims they all do Besides, if it was really so necessary for mixing, how would he be able to mix salt without it himself? See what I'm driving at? Some claims are just marketing without real substance. Your more likely to find YSP used in water softener salts or table salt than sea salt mixes
OMG a SW well?? amazing. you must be on the south shore!!!
The salt is pre measured and sealed in a plastic bag. I do 25 gallons weekly so it is packaged all different ways. I order it that way. I opened the bag and it was perfect no clumps

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/06/2008, 04:53 PM
Take your time...........

I don't believe he say's all salts use it. But when you are making salt in large quantities like the big guys they have no choice but to add the anticlumping chemicals.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:56 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay4Robin
OMG a SW well?? amazing. you must be on the south shore!!!
The old Blue Pt Hatchery building

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/06/2008, 04:58 PM

OK I asked Garry a question about doing my weekly water changes and about anticaking chemicals. Here is his response.

Bill,

When you do a10% or 15% weekly partial water change and you’re using a sea salt that is not depleted in one or more of the following: magnesium, ph, alkalinity or calcium, the levels will be more stable. It’s like giving your tank a weekly vitamin shot.

Calcium is separated from the rest of the salt mix so that you will never get precipitation of solids or cloudiness of your water.

Age a batch of your sea salt mix for 24 to 48 hours and test for magnesium, dKH, pH, calcium and boron to see which one or more is depleted, then take a new batch of dry form of your salt mix that you use and bring up your depleted levels, then add to your filtered water and you be the judge.

When testing Saltwater Correct Sea Salt, test it with out the calcium and then add calcium very slowly and mix for 24 hours so the calcium can interact with the rest of the mix and the reading will correlate with package label.

The word organic is to say that we do not use any EDTA or YPS or any other kind of anti-caking agents are used in the salt mix.

Garry

Get Tanked Aquariums
[link removed]

Last edited by bertoni; 01/06/2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 05:20 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
The old Blue Pt Hatchery building
I remember it well.
I use to live in holbrook.

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/06/2008, 08:52 PM
Team RC Member

Good thing Boomers out of town.

Chemically speaking, just what is it in this magical salt mix that you think is better than any other synthetic salt mixes on the market today ?

There can be several reasons why your corals look better since using this mix.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:57 PM
Reef Chemist

The word organic is to say that we do not use any EDTA or YPS or any other kind of anti-caking agents are used in the salt mix.

You might ask him which mixes he claims uses EDTA and organic anticaking compounds. That is an easier way to address the vague claims about other mixes.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:09 PM

I am done debating this......If you want to try it try it if not you are the only one hurting your tank. All I can say is I have been using it and am real happy with the results. If you want more technical answers call the maker. His name is Garry and his number is on his site (link removed)

I am only posting what I have noticed with my tanks. I have used several salts on the market and so far this is by far the best.

Order a small 5 gallon mix make it up by the directions on the bag and test the parameters.
Do the same with your current salt and see if they are the same. All I can say is compare and you will see the difference. The important thing to remember is not to add the calcium to the mixed water. Add it to the tank after you do your water change. If you are making a 5 gallon mix to test it after you age the salt for 48 hours then add the calcium mix. Your test results will speak for themselves.

Last edited by rbaker; 01/06/2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:10 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

FYI. I in know way came onto this thread to promote this salt mix. I asked for expert advice cause I care about my reef. I spend so much $$$ in this hobby that it would be nice to save a few bucks and use something that would be as good as what I use now and save a few bucks. The person that is selling this product is local and does have great feed back. Many people in the hobby make their own supplements. he is not Donald Trump pr a marketing genius. He just wants to help fellow reefers and charges a fair price. thats my opinion of him.

When i need to spend $ I do. I value all of your opinions but I think this thread went off course.

DVRC Vice President
Indiana Jones Of SPS

double post sorry

DVRC Vice President

Last edited by Jay4Robin; 01/06/2008 at 09:16 PM.

Randy are you a sponsor for any commercial salts?
Old 01/06/2008, 09:11 PM

Thank You Jay.......Debate is over. BILL
Old 01/06/2008, 09:39 PM
Team RC Member

RBU1, please don't be offended. I always say, use the salt mix that makes your tank look good. If your tank looks good, it probably is good.

Last time I checked, this is America. If you choose to use this salt mix, go for it.

It is difficult for us to encourage the use of a salt product we have never test or used or heard of. That and the fact that his (or her) marketing statements leave a little to be desired tend to make this a questionable product.

There are so many other chemicals in synthetic salt mixes, besides the big three, that one has no way of knowing what it may be deficient in.

Thats why Randy uses IO. It works for him.

And no, I don't think he is affiliated with any salt manufacturer. If you've been around this forum long enough, you would know he probably could take that as an insult.

You've made your pitch.......... lets move on.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:33 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

I agree lets move on.

So lets talk 2 part LOL

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/06/2008, 11:50 PM
Team RC Member

Old 01/07/2008, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
I think I'll stick with IO
funny, you like IO, I started using CL in the early 90's both those salt's get bad raps in a lot of forums and I have actually been convinced to use some other salts, none of which I am happy with, I am going back to CL and I do like IO but now I have quit a bit of various salt just stacked up in my garage.

someone asked "what is the test of a good salt?"

to that I would say: how do your corals look?

try not to loose sight of the objective which for me, is not trying to get the exact values on the FEW parameters of seawater that we test for. For me the objective is to raise big healthy beautiful corrals. the dozen or so parameters that we test for are guide to help us out if we are headed for trouble, or if we are in trouble to figure out what it is. experience and observations can often tell you more than the most exhaustive testing available to us
Old 01/07/2008, 08:08 AM
Reef Chemist

Randy are you a sponsor for any commercial salts?

A sponsor? I'm not sure what you mean.

I do not give them anything aside from buying salt, and they do not give me anything aside from the salt that I buy at the same online companies that RC members do for the same price.

you would know he probably could take that as an insult.

I could, but answering the question is reasonable since I often ask similar questions to people who seem to support products in ways that seem unusually zealous.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:54 PM

Randy,

Please do not take any kind of offense to my question. I was just curious that all.....

I have respect for you and the answers you provide to the community. I am actually glad to see you back on the boards. BILL