Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

gobies and pistol cant find eachother...

should i just wait it out? the gobies stole my xmas wrasses borrow whitch is huge and has two entrances, so they are very happy

the pistol on the other hand is borrowed under a rock way to small for the gobies and its clear across the other side of the tank.

I trried putting the pistols rock by the gobies, but i think i just scared it and it wouldent come out of the rock so i put it back.

any suggestions? think they might find eachother eventually?

I hear the shrimp clicking away at night. not sure whats bothering it.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 11/02/2007, 10:36 PM
Team RC Member

sounds like you need to get them on e harmony
Old 11/03/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

i donno, i feel bad for the shrimp i cant feed it, im pretty sure it moved, and i dont see any piles of sand or anything.

the smaller gobie is becoming very adventurous, the male is shy as ever.. maybe a male (?) does anyone know how that works with gobies? bigger one male or female? I dont see any bodily defferances besides size..

Old 11/03/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

What kind of Gobies are you talking about. I've seen gobies and a shrimp living together in the same borrow in a picture once. I've always wondered what kind of gobies they were. Gobies are by far my favorite species of fish. They are what I plan to keep in my reef. Can about all gobies coexist in the same tank? Along with a dragonet?

Kyle
Old 11/03/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Did you purchase the Gobies as a pair w/ the shrimp or did you buy everything seperate? Also where did you buy them at? If you possible post some pictures of them?

Thanks Kyle
Old 11/03/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

they are randalls shrimp gobies, and the pistol shrimp is the red and white stripes one (tiger maybe)

theres a few groups of gobies, shrimp gobies, sand gobies, ect (if you look at live aquaria then to the gobie section they have em broken into the groups. any shrimp gobies should pair with a pistol shrimp.

Im not sure about gobies co existing. these ones are a 'pair'

yes i bought them together, but they all got bagged seperate and i couldent get them all into the same spot when i added them the fishes got all happy to find eachother, but they dont move from theyre spot. and the shrimp is almost blind so hes not going to move to far. lol

I bought them from live aquaira, but phishys often has gobie shrimp pairs!!

Old 11/05/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

They will find each other. Took mine a little bit, but eventually the shrimp will have a giant tunnel that spans the whole length of under your rock, so he's bound to find him.

I bury some flake in the sand every once in while for the shrimp, but there are times where I don't feed him and he does fine, he finds food some other way I assume. I wouldn't worry about him not getting food for a few days.

Secure down the corals, mine loves to decorate the doorstep with ricordia.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

prance, thank you! Its been really bothering me

I will try to bury some food, I know its general location but it definately moved from the original spot.
My wrasse and giant nassarious wont be easy to fool though. lol

wonder how long it takes a pistol to make a 3 foot tunnel lol hes a really large one!!

Old 11/05/2007, 09:42 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
Do these things eat ornamental shrimp???? Like cleaners and such. b/c in the wild i thought they did????
Old 11/05/2007, 09:43 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
oops sorry. this is crystal!
Old 11/06/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

pistol shrimp? na. they are way way smaller than a cleaner. (so tiny i dident think it was in the fish bag because it was under a wrinkle)

wait. i take that back. the ones we like are tiny, but theres some utube videos of some really large ones...

they do snap theyre claw shut making this loud click noise that can cause a weird blast sort of and send theyre enemys flying.
a 'sonic boom' i think they called it in a book..)

they are awsome. they just dig holes for theyre gobies, cover the front up at night... and the gobie helps them find food because they are about blind.

Old 11/06/2007, 10:37 AM
Moved On

So the type we like in our tanks is a completely different kind of pistol shrimp??/ or the same but smaller.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

I dont know too much, but theres definately different spiecies. the red and white stripe being really popular

Old 11/07/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

cl2ysta
heres a great pic of a pistol and a randalls gobie! (still for sale too)

heres a pic of my gobies from lastnight.

Old 11/07/2007, 11:51 AM
Moved On

oh wow their beautiful!!!! Kyle and i havent had much luck with gobies. our first dragon goby got stuck in a powerhead. we got another that dissapeared. We had a yellow watchman in our 120 that dissapeared, but i got a huge pink sleeper goby from jacks that has been living in our 180 for about 6 months so apparently he is going to survive. I had a dragon goby out here but he didnt make it through hypo. He died over the weekend. So we are 1 for 5 in the goby department
Old 11/07/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

ouch! yeah that would be a ligit reason lol

I like the shrimp gobies because they dont eat my pods, and (if this one ever finds the shrimp) they hang out in the hole the shrimp digs for them. i had 1 gobie b4 this one, i never qt'ed any of them because of theyre 'ich resistance'

Id love a mandrin but they seem to hard for for me. its the one fish ive always wanted since b4 i even had a tank

Old 11/07/2007, 07:02 PM
Moved On

see we have a mandarin that we had no problems with! its actually the oldest fish in the tank. It does not eat prepared foods however. It survives off whatever is in the tank.
Old 11/11/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/11/2007, 03:20 PM
Moved On

they are so cute!