Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Indiana Marine Aquarium Society (INDMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/01/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

LFS in Indy

Hello everyone. I am looking for some more local fish stores in the Indianapolis area. I know all the Uncle Bill's, and Safari in Avon, plus Premium Aquatics and Extreme Aquatics. Any help beyond these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

The Reef 56 & Keystone, there's one on 106th & Michigan by the 106th st grill but I can't remember the name
Old 06/01/2007, 09:14 AM
Where the future begins!

Don't bother with The Reef... extremely overpriced and their stock is never very good.

Pet Jungle is the one by the 106th St. Grill.... thats the one that I go to most often. They don't have a lot of livestock, but will special order just about anything for you if you ask for it. They ordered me a pair of Onyx Percs last week for $130, which is about the going price for them.

I'm not sure which Uncle Bills you've gone to, but the one in Greenwood gets quite a bit of coral on a regular basis.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 06/01/2007, 09:22 AM
Microreefologist

You mean, there are other LFSs in Indy besides PA?

Genesis 1:21
Old 06/01/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Let's see the Reef is doing alot better, their people make the difference! Pet Jungle? Ha, that is the most discusting store I have ever been in. They don't take care of anything and you have to wear a gasmask to enter it smells horrible!
darrinlowe, check out the reef I don't think you will be disappointed, they are making alot of changes right now to their saltwater room. they also just got in 20+ clams yesterday
Old 06/01/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Abyss off of 65th & Binford

90 gal AGA lps and softie tank, 2 Tunze 6000 and 7095 controller, 8-bulb T-5 Tek Light, Geo calcium reactor, ASM G-3 skimmer, AC Jr.
Old 06/02/2007, 09:24 AM
Where the future begins!

The Reef is such a rip-off on almost all of their livestock. I was JUST in there and the fish room is about the same as it has been since they "fixed" it last year. You can hardly distinguish the corals from the mass amounts of algae/aiptasia. The last time I was in there almost every single one of their fish had some kind of parasite, mostly ich.

I would MUCH rather drive 45 minutes up to Lafayette to go to Aquarium World than drive 30 minutes to The Reef, or hell even drive to Premium Aquatics in Beechgrove. At Aquarium World, you'll pay at least half the price of any fish you'll find at The Reef.

Not to mention the last time I was in The Reef, they had a rat exterminator in trying to find all the rat holes in the building.

I will vouch for Hooked4life on the Abyss... you'll pay a little bit more in there, but the stock is usually top quality especially the corals. It's right across the street from Stone Center.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 06/04/2007, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

Check out Imperial Aquatics (www.imperialaquatics.com). Aaron is a great guy to work with. He always takes really great care of his stock.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

I actually checked out imperial aquatics. He was very helpful and very knowledgable. Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to stick with imperial, mainly just due to the fact that Aaron is about my age, and I have to commend him for starting his own business.
Old 06/08/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

I visited the Pet Jungle and the Reef this week, and I have to say I was more impressed by the Reef than the Pet Jungle. The Reef has made some large improvements in their saltwater section from the last time I was in there. I didn't talk to the people at the Pet Jungle, so I don't know about them ordering anything. Just my two cents for anyone looking for options around Indy.
Old 06/09/2007, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

I would like Abyss the best but very poor selection and anything that is interesting is outrageously priced. I will say that the few fish I have bought from there have been healthy and stay healthy.

The reef is hit and miss on selection - much better lately. I havent bought too much there but have not had one survivor that I can remember. Prices are also hit and miss but they will work with you. Better personel on staff lately too.

I like buying frags and have had both healthy and reasonably priced fish from Uncle Bills in Greenwood. Frags are cheap enough to buy almost brown and see if they will turn into somthing nice. I wouldnt buy a difficult fish but mosy easy to keep fish from there are safe bet in my experience.

Obviously PA is the place to get livestock but fish selection is most times limited. Im a fan of the bali aquaculture sps. Thankfully they have added a huge livestock section. The only problem there is that I work almost every fri and sat.

I also like extreme aquariums aquaculture sps colonies. Better to buy a small colony for about 60 tan a tiny frag for 10-20.

Still had the best luck buyin or trading livestock from other reefers - hands down.

My 2 cents.
Old 06/11/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

I'm coming to Indy for the F1 race next weekend but will only be there on sunday. Considering I'll only be in town for one day and won't have time to check out all the stores you've mentioned, which one would you recommend for corals/shrooms/clams/zoas etc, and which would you recommend for fish/inverts? I'm thinking I'll probably have time to check out two stores before everything closes...Thanks!