Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/09/2007, 02:20 PM
Enjoying Life

I am surprised that BMWUSA is taking so long...........

Awesome tank!!! Can't wait to see it up and running.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

I started plumbing my chiller today. I am putting it in the garage instead of the closet under the stairs. The only problem is that Lowes didnt have any schedule 80 3/4 slip elbows. Ill have to make a special trip to the plumbing store on Monday.
Old 12/09/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

The plumbing store at Stasney and Ih35 always Shc 80 stuff, but that is pretty far from you.
Old 12/10/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

This thread is a who's who of Texas area reefing neer do wells!

Looking good Aaron and your T5 stuff came in this evening. I really like the ballast room you've got going and am pumped to see this thing continue!

John
Old 12/10/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Great tank/thread! You're about 2-3 months ahead of me... just ordered my A.G.E. tank this morning haha. So it's about 2.5 months to deliver? (I didn't get an exact date)

That HGB looks smooth... how does it compare with the old elbow and drilled hole with tube method? (not sure if it has a name)

What size chiller are you using? I have a 3/4 laying around but it's sooo big and I don't have room behind the tank for it so it must sit next to the tank thus I'm considering downsizing it. hmmm.

I'll be running 2x400w 12k reeflux bulbs mounted really high up on a 60x36x30tank (280g). I'm going this for heat/energy reasons so maybe I can avoid a chiller all together

Are you using a ca reactor? dsb? refugium or will I have to follow the thread to find out?

since some details of my system are tbd I'll have to follow this thread or get tips =)

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 12/11/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Nice tank! I love the stand and canopy and that AGE tank looks really nice. Almost doing the same for the return pump manifold, though i use a Dart instead, but additionally feeding a UV and refugium as well. Keep the pics coming.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Schedule 80 plumbing

Old 12/11/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Manifold is finally together

Old 12/11/2007, 08:32 PM
TRC Leader

Those look really good. I can't wait to see this thing up and running.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Ok there might be a change of plans....

I plugged in the Barracuda today and wow is it loud!
I'm not sure even with water in it I can convince my wife not to shot me.
I am considering running 2 Eheim 1262's. 1 to run the chiller and 1 to run a 3/4" version of the manifold.

Any suggestions?
Old 12/11/2007, 10:27 PM
TRC Leader

Why don't you hook up the pump to a temporary container and run a closed loop with saltwater?
Old 12/11/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Why don't you hook up the pump to a temporary container and run a closed loop with saltwater?
Because I dont think that will be a good indication of how loud the pump will be inside a stand
Old 12/11/2007, 11:02 PM
TRC Leader

Maybe you'll have a rubbermaid or tank that will fit into the stand for your test. There was a guy that used a Baldor pump for his system, posted in the DIY forum. His even ramped up and down in speed and he never mentioned noise.

There definitely is a difference between running it dry and having water going through it.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

I had a very similar problem with my Hammerhead when it was hard plumbed all the way through. Now i think it is fairly quiet, much more than the larger iwakis and panworlds I've used. It does however has very low hum to it. I use Fernco couplings at the input and output also the pump sits on top of 2 layers of hi-density foam pads.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

Well I wish someone else would chim in on this...

Not that your opinion doesnt count Marc
Old 12/12/2007, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
I had a very similar problem with my Hammerhead when it was hard plumbed all the way through. Now i think it is fairly quiet, much more than the larger iwakis and panworlds I've used. It does however has very low hum to it. I use Fernco couplings at the input and output also the pump sits on top of 2 layers of hi-density foam pads.
This pump isnt plumbed at all, I just plugged it in to see what it sounded like.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Sorry didn't catch that, I have yet to run either my Dart or Hammerhead dry so i can't give you any insight. Perhaps having a foam pad underneath it might help.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:06 AM
Will work 4 corals

I think having it wet will make a huge difference. My Eheim had a bubble and was very loud. Once it was fully primed, silent.

So shoot me!
Old 12/12/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gkarshens
I think having it wet will make a huge difference. My Eheim had a bubble and was very loud. Once it was fully primed, silent.
I was thinking the same as well since my Eheim is annoyingly loud when it is dry, but an Eheim doesn't have a drive shaft like a Reeflo pump. The impeller is bolted on as oppose to magnetically driven, so they are a little different in terms of operation.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I was thinking the same as well since my Eheim is annoyingly loud when it is dry, but an Eheim doesn't have a drive shaft like a Reeflo pump. The impeller is bolted on as oppose to magnetically driven, so they are a little different in terms of operation.
Maybe Ill see if there is rubbermaid container I can drill and put some water to this pump to see what kind of noise it makes.
Im still afraid its going to be to loud
Old 12/12/2007, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Is this pump located inside your house?
The main concern with the pump I have is its located about 10 feet from were we sit in the living room.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Running it dry is going to be very loud. I have done this many times with a lot of pumps. Once you get water in it it quiets down ALOT. You are going to have noise coming from the tank regardless (overflow, other pumps, lights, etc) so it shouldn't make a huge difference.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

The pump is in the living room and in the stand. I get annoyed very easily and this pump has passed my test.
Quote:
Originally posted by bmwaaron
Is this pump located inside your house?
The main concern with the pump I have is its located about 10 feet from were we sit in the living room.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I feel much better now. I found a friend that has one running on his tank locally and he is also pretty picky.

I think I will continue with this pump.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

The new Vortech Wireless wave driver is here!!!

I probably wont install it until I get the new tank up and running but it will look very nice mounted on my wall