Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/15/2004, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Plumbing Questions

Hi everyone. I'm trying to turn my tank back into the beautiful tank it once was. I've had a few crashes over the last year that have been rather discouraging. One due to a Rio powerhead melting in my tank and the other due to my canopy fans not coming on with my halide (98 degree tank ). I am getting ready to add a sump to my 40 gal acrylic tank so I can hook up my PM calcium reactor . I have a few questions about the overflow. I want to use an external overflow with slots cut into the back of the tank to save space inside the tank. I'm going to use a Little Giant 810 gph pump for the return. I also have another one running a closed loop and a tee to my skimmer. My questions are...

1. What size slots should I cut (Length and width) and how many to get the proper amount of flow? Or, should I cut 1 horizontal slot the length of the external box?

2. Should the external box be a certain size?

3. I'm going to use a Durso standpipe inside the external box, what size pipe should I use to get about 800 gph?

Does this all sound like a good plan? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01/15/2004, 02:45 PM
Moved On

You might want to read this:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=234382.

His was a glass tank but with acrylic it just makes it that much easier.

Hope this helps

- g
Old 01/15/2004, 10:34 PM
Moved On

You will need at least a 1.25" drain for 800 gph with 1.5" being a better choice.
For size of slots and how long beats me. Try the calculator here on RC may help.
Old 01/15/2004, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help! I found a life reef overflow drawing and I'm going to duplicate that by cutting the same size slots in the back of the tank. Hopefully I'll get it all done this weekend.
Old 01/16/2004, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Welcome azreefer, we will help you if possible.
I am trying to picture what you are cutting out the back of your tank. With slots across the back, as high as possible, the entire back might have a support problem as the slots will need to be aprox 14 inches at the water line and the water level in the tank would be the level of the bottom of the cutout. You also have to block your critters from taking the ride.

Also, if you tee off the closed loop to your skimmer, it's no longer a closed loop.

Let us know how it works out.