Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/31/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

no sand in fuge?

can you just have live rock in your fuge without any livesand?
Old 07/31/2006, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

sorry i also forgot to ask if i could see some pics if anyone has a 29 gallon sump/fuge...thanks
Old 07/31/2006, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

I have a custom built fuge, but i do not keep any sand in it. Actually, i dont have any sand in my system at all. It makes it easier to clean it out, and i can keep all the buggers alive on rocks and in the chaeto.

The red house. Click it!!
Old 07/31/2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

crvz....so I will go ahead and make my fuge a sandless one....thanks for the response
Old 07/31/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I don't have sand in mine either - lots of rock and rubble, and chaeto, feather calerpa - hermits, small snails and one peppermint shrimp - it's about 20 gals - been running on my 54 for about 6 years
Old 07/31/2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

I've got just Chaeto and Calurpa. No rock and no sand to collect detritus.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

And its a 29g. Pics in my gallery if you's like to see, but not very detailed.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

i keep sand in mine, i just tore my 100g display down to put new carpet in the house. having a 50g sump and all my livestock is happy and when i start the tank up tomorrow it wont cycle either. a cuke helps with detritus

i also have a 9" dsb in my skimmer section for nitrate reduction.
Old 08/01/2006, 12:47 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

On my 54 there is a DSB in the fuge. My 29 doesn't have the room for a fuge compartment in the sump so I grow chaeto in the return section with no sand.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/01/2006, 02:19 AM
Moved On

I would not really consider it a fuge if there is not sand in it...That would be more like a sump to me...but I guess it is all interpatation...I juat have LR in mine.
Old 08/01/2006, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

I would not really consider it a fuge if there is not sand in it...That would be more like a sump to me...but I guess it is all interpatation...I juat have LR in mine.

BSSSSSSSSBBBBBBBSSSSSSS

Its a fuge... a refugium is somewhere that fauna can grow and macroalgae without predation(usually fish) to decimate their populations...i used to run a DSB but deitrus built up and it was a pain in the ***....i now have a 55 G with 30 G sump

the sump is a sump/fuge...on one half is an ASM G3 skimmer (more like 1/3 of the sump) and on the other is the return with about 25 lbs. of LR and a huge ball of chaeto lit with pc's....when i had the DSB with LR my mysid and amphipod population was ridiculous...my sandless fuge has only been set up for about 3 weeks so time will tell if i have that population boom of fauna in this fuge...i can still undoubtedly have macro growing which is good and it doesssss have some pods in it at the moment....

if you want pods in your fuge but no sand do this.....get a bunch and i mean a bunch of small rubble rock(LR all broken to peices) and just stack it in tight pile in the sump...the pods will boom ....mark my word ...this is what people with mandarins do in tank but do it in your fuge...i noticed this is where my larvae hung out when in my old fuge was the stack of rubble

reef on
Old 08/01/2006, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Serious,

You don't have a seperate return/fuge area? How do you keep macro out of your pump? Do you use an ATO system? Thinking of doing the same thing. I'm constrained for space under my tank. Either a 10g tank as a fuge or a 10g tank used as a water reservoir. Curious what you do.
Old 08/01/2006, 02:41 PM

Those plant baskets they use for water lillies and such make a great container for growing chaeto in the return section.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/01/2006, 02:49 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps

BSSSSSSSSBBBBBBBSSSSSSS

How is my opion BS...I do not consider it a fuge, just my interpation. It has nothing to do with BS or that is false...how about you not be jerk, people call saltwater tanks, just that and others call them reefs, should I say the people that call them salt tanks are BS? No.

Again I never said that he did not have the term coined correctly nor did I have it coined properly. But keep be a big strong internet muscle flexing pompus guy and being a jerk. I would use other words, but I do not want to get banned!
Old 08/01/2006, 04:56 PM
Nothing to put here

No sand in my fuge. And yes, it is a fuge. It is a separate tank from my sump with live rock and cheatomorpha and a few corals. My sump has phosban reactor pumps, intake for my skimmer pump, baffles, a heater, and a return pump.

I found the sand in the fuge was always dirty.
Old 08/01/2006, 05:09 PM
Moved On

Wow, apparently no reads anything anymore, everyone sees what they want and then takes the oppurtunity to jump on something and "show-off" their knowledge and flex their internet muscels...I never once said that it was not a fuge, I just interprit it differently, and I do not see it as a fuge...its really all interpritation...I have LR rock in my sump, so it must not be a sump or a fuge...Please read what people right. I never denied it was a fuge or not, simply do not see it as a fuge...I never stated that was correct...
Old 08/01/2006, 05:41 PM

No need to take it personal cryptic. It is a "Discussion" forum.

Old 08/01/2006, 06:29 PM
Flowalicious

"I do not see it as a fuge" and "Its not a fuge" arent any different in my book.

I run a fuge with no sand, and lots of flow. I dont want stuff settling in the fuge. I want macro and pods...not a settling chamber.
Old 08/01/2006, 06:30 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
No need to take it personal cryptic. It is a "Discussion" forum.
There is a way to discuss and then there is a way to riducule people...Calling what I view something as, as BS is not discussing anything.
Old 08/01/2006, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

sand is more work and can cause buildup of toxic byproducts and work against you in the longrun if not maitained and cleaned maticulously. I dont prefer it but some do.
Old 08/01/2006, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Lets keep this civilized shall we, no fighting. Intention is to help each other not belittle anyone.