Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/05/2006, 02:53 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

Black. White. (New reality show on FX)

I really think this might be an interesting show--it's coming on Wed March 8th at 10PM on FX (cable only). It's about using make-up effects to swap the races of 2 middle class families, one white, one black. It follows their lives for 6 weeks, and tries to get at subtler forms of racism that we take for granted in our day-to-day lives.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...hite/main.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11394595/
Old 03/05/2006, 05:01 PM
How YOU doin?

We're gonna be watching this one, too.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 03/05/2006, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Been waiting for this one... Looks like it's going to be a pretty good show...

TheBimbo...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 03/05/2006, 07:08 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

Yeah, me too. What do you guys think of the make-up job? I thought it was pretty good, all things considering. Of course, the black mom just has ethnic features that are hard for make-up to disguise, but everyone else, I thought, was pretty "passable". 6 weeks is a long time to have to live with each other, too.
Old 03/05/2006, 07:21 PM
Moved On

They showed and talked to these people on oprah last week, really interesting.
And they showed some of the things that happened on the show.
When does it come on?
For those who didnt see oprah, in the top two pictures, the white people are on top, the black on the bottom.
Very interesting show
Old 03/05/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

IMO, this is taking things too far.....
Old 03/05/2006, 07:51 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

finding nemo, didn't one of her white friends also do the same thing for a past episode of Oprah?

Personally, I find this idea more interesting than watching a bunch of ho-bag spoiled kids create drama out of nothing for The Real World or Big Brother 28, or whatever they are up to these days.
Old 03/05/2006, 11:15 PM
Moved On

Pandora, not sure. But it did sound familiar to me, like it had been done before.
Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Altho I know what the end result will be but wont discuss that here.
Old 03/06/2006, 11:45 AM
Moved On

I'm sick of the flippin commercials promoting it. My 'mute' button is not happy with me.
Old 03/06/2006, 11:46 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by finding nemo

Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Altho I know what the end result will be but wont discuss that here.
So, it probably won't be that interesting then, since you know how it's going to work out.
Old 03/06/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Sound interesting. Only I don't know if I get FX on COX.

Anyone know ?
Old 03/06/2006, 12:09 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Ereefic
So, it probably won't be that interesting then, since you know how it's going to work out.
you got it.
Old 03/06/2006, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Visually they can do make-up effects and stuff but are they gonna get a crash course on how to speak the lingo ?
Old 03/06/2006, 12:17 PM
Moved On

Don't know, but watching oprah the two woman clashed pretty fast.
The white woman called the black woman a ***** , thinking that was a black sort of word used for endearment.
Wrong!!!!!!!
The black woman was not ammused and they got into a pretty good fight over it.
It was an interesting show. I will watch it to see how it goes.
But pretty sure both sides will have a very big awakening as to how the other color lives there daily lives out in public.
Old 03/06/2006, 12:18 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
Visually they can do make-up effects and stuff but are they gonna get a crash course on how to speak the lingo ?
I must axe you, is there a differenece? I never noticed.
Old 03/06/2006, 12:21 PM
Moved On

The word that is blanked out started with a B, in case anyone is wondering. Didnt mean to make the profanity sensors go off. Sorry
Old 03/06/2006, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

That is very interesting

I am a mix of both races and the things I have to hear. I think it will work fine for one family but the other family it's gonna loose it when they hear some of the coments.

You will be surpised how many white people know "the lingo" to perfection.

Lisa
Old 03/06/2006, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ereefic
I must axe you, is there a differenece? I never noticed.
You're joking right ?

Well, I think the black family acting white will have less of a problem but not sure about the other way around. Perhaps more so with the kid than the mom and dad.
Old 03/06/2006, 12:30 PM
Moved On

Yes, i'm joking.
Old 03/06/2006, 01:07 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

Quote:
Originally posted by Wetchick
You will be surpised how many white people know "the lingo" to perfection.

Lisa
Yeah, I second that, LOL. Not to mention, how many asians and other races now adopt the lingo to sound cooler.

I'm sure a lot of the show will be rather predictable, following the course from slightly ignorant to dramatic awakening of racial awareness, blah blah, ... but for some reason, I still want to watch it, hehe. nemo knows, she is my TV pal...

I think if it were done badly, it could be like a really bad episode of trading spouses except with skin tones... but it sounds like they are trying to get at subtler ideas that many of us take for granted with regard to stereotypes. It's not like they put two blatantly racist families together in a KKK neighborhood for kicks... they sounded pretty "average" families to me.
Old 03/06/2006, 01:12 PM
Moved On

Thats me Pandy, your tv pal
So, explain to me about the last episode of Lost will ya?
Seems the pregnant gal was on the island all this time?
Or was she?
Old 03/06/2006, 03:29 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

nemo: Didn't quite get what you wree asking about her (Claire). I think I always just assumed she was somewhere on the island (though I guess that was sort of an assumption). That episode made me sort of think that a lot of it--the medical bunker being open, the beard/glue being easy to find--seemed like a set-up/staged. I was hoping for more background on Libby (but was disappointed), because I just don't trust her! I don't know how much of Claire's drug-induced memories, being facilitated through this character we can't trust 100% (libby) we can take on face value. It is also bizarre to me that she would want to inject her baby with the same unknown liquid that someone we KNEW lied to her injected him with, before became the ONLY one on the island to get sick, no less! I doubt it is a vaccine (technically, it couldn't be anyway, injected afterwards--sort of like rabies post-exposure prophylaxis). It was neat that we learned Danielle is on their side, though.

It is driving me nuts that we have to wait 2 more weeks for a new episode of LOST, nemo! I hope this Black White show is good so I have something else to look forward to on Wed nights.
Old 03/06/2006, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

I think Claire has temporairly lost her sense of reasoning and she just freaked out because her son got sick. It wouldn't have mattered what anyone said to her, she was going to believe what she wanted. But we did learn that there is another facility on the island and the others are completely involved with the Darhma Initiative. Whatever that actually is but I'm leaning towards several different experiments going on.

You notice the keychain Ethan opened that medicine cabinet with had a Dharma logo?

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 03/06/2006, 05:20 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

Woohoo! I love it when I support the threadjacking of one of my own threads. No one I have to apologize to....

zen: yeah, I don't think we've seen the last of the stations/hatches yet.

The keychain, I'm not convinced is the DHARMA logo at this point. We did several freezeframes and some are screencaps posted online if you want to see. The basic shape is octogonal like the bagua, but the actual design deviates from it a little (almost like a central red cross, with some lines surrounding which don't take on the same kwae formation and are not an exact match for a particular taoist/buddhist symbol yet). I don't think it's clear enough to say for sure at this point, I think it'll come up again.

BTW, I think Eko cutting off his beard was a significant scene. It's ritual purification in Judeo-Christian & some African tribal cultures, and goes along with his "confession". On the surface, he said this to Henry "because he wanted to make amends for killing the 2 Others", but I think there's more to it than that. I think he was asking for forgiveness because he knows he will kill Henry in the future. Contrast his controlled encounter with Henry, where he clearly has the upper hand, with how Locke handles him later.
Old 03/06/2006, 06:18 PM
Moved On

Wow, now I am all caught up, I had no idea Claire was not on the plane,I guess I just figured that since she was one the beach with all of them that she crashed with them.
As for him cutting of his little beard thingys, I didnt know what the ment, but I new he was to kill the guy sooner or later.
Interesting turn of events.
But so fun.
Pandy, let me know when the B&W is on, not sure when it will be but will be intersting to watch.
It if fun to highjack our own thread isnt it!