Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 08:28 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Too old for women to care
Old 01/08/2008, 09:31 AM
living life 2 the fullest

Grimey SEC IS THE POWERHOUSE. LSU is the only team since the BCS has been around to win the NC twice. The SEC is by far the best CONFERENCE IN THE LAND.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:20 AM

Hello, the SEC want change in the BCS, its you pac 10 fanbots and the big 10 who don't want change.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:25 AM

Here ya go Emerald.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:30 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Cavalcade of Whimsy - The Overrated SEC
By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com

Please see my signature line for the quote of the season.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:41 PM
Here comes the Gators

That's two SEC championships in a row now. Next year it will be three with either FLA or UGA winning it.

Ahhh crap, now Emerald and I will have the same avatar.... Wait, how long does Emerald have to keep his for?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 01/08/2008, 05:34 PM

A year as the bets are always like that. Now you just have about 4 months left since we halved it.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
LSU backed into the game just like OSU did. At least OSU can make a case they deserve to be there. LSU can't and doesn't.
Ya still think they have no case?

The things grimey says make me chuckle.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
That's two SEC championships in a row now. Next year it will be three with either FLA or UGA winning it.
Now I can agree with UGA having a good chance but I don’t see FLA making it there next year don’t think their defense will be strong enough. I think the defense will be better then this year but still sub par.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:15 PM

Agreed, UGA is going to be the stronger team next year. The key for us is going to be starting strong and taking that all the way to the end.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:12 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by bluerug
Agreed, UGA is going to be the stronger team next year. The key for us is going to be starting strong and taking that all the way to the end.
On defense UGA will be stronger but FLA will definately hands down have the stronger offense. Thing is, UGA still has a strong offense and if we can't stop you we won't win. FLA had the strongest offense this year in the SEC and next year it will only be better. Our defense better mature for next year or else we are going to lose one or two games. I think that's rediculous to say FLA doesn't have a chance to take it all the way. They have a ton of talent and supurb coaching. If our defense makes a big step we are going to be a scary team in the SEC. Watch out bulldogs.

Yeah Grim can be a big BSer sometimes...it is always about the SEC and he is always proved wrong with the bowl games.

The SEC went 7-2 this year...no questions asked that the SEC was the most dominant.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 01/08/2008, 07:12 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by jgoodrich71
Grim, maybe if your conference was a little tougher to get through you could make that claim, but when you can't make it through the Pansy-10 without getting beat, you don't deserve a chance to play for the title.
Conference I root for has nothing to do with the fact the SEC is overrated. I think you had 2 teams this year that added 1 possible competative game to their OCC schedules. So your conference door mats start the season with 3 or 4 wins because they play teams like the University of Bugtustle at Pixley. The better teams get 3 or 4 games that amount to little more than scrimmages. Then when they do play the door mats they get credit for beating a 3 or 4 win team that only got those wins by playing AA or minor division 1 teams that haven't had a competative program in years. If your teams are all so much better than everyone else prove it, limit yourselves to 1 or 2 scrub teams and play real compatition the rest of the schedule. We know it ain't gonna happen cause your conference is afraid to actually play someone who has a chance on winning.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:18 PM
Here comes the Gators

Grim, USC got beat by a bunch of Stanford doormats and you play in weak conference compared to the SEC.

SEC ain't overrated....we are 7-2 in bowl games. There is not a single conference out there that has that type of record. And please don't make excuses like "half of those games could have gone the other way" because a win is a win. A two loss SEC team just smoked OSU for the second time in a row...weren't you the one saying its going to be tough for LSU to come out with a win and how they don't even deserve to be there?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 01/08/2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Hello, the SEC want change in the BCS, its you pac 10 fanbots and the big 10 who don't want change.
Rug. You really should do a little research before making foolish statements
Old 01/08/2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Grim, USC got beat by a bunch of Stanford doormats and you play in weak conference compared to the SEC.

SEC ain't overrated....we are 7-2 in bowl games. There is not a single conference out there that has that type of record. And please don't make excuses like "half of those games could have gone the other way" because a win is a win. A two loss SEC team just smoked OSU for the second time in a row...weren't you the one saying its going to be tough for LSU to come out with a win and how they don't even deserve to be there?
So following your "logic" A team that wins a game on a blown call by an official is better than their opponent. Yep, gotta love that SEC mentality
Old 01/08/2008, 08:00 PM

Enough said

Quote:
Cavalcade of Whimsy - The Overrated SEC
By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 25, 2007

Fiu's Cavalcade of Whimsy

a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances

If this column sucks, it’s not my fault … Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy thinks my column is garbage. It makes him want to puke.

“Well, I didn’t know you wanted to get involved with the discussion, Mr. Helper.” … Watch the Gundy all-timer of a press conference meltdown regarding an article in The Oklahoman about QB Bobby Reid, then try to find the classic Sam Kinison blowup on Thornton Mellon in Back to School. Tell me the Gundy and Kinison don’t sound exactly alike in voice, tone, and inflection.

Me thinks a $165 million gift changes things up a wee bit … Lost in Gundy’s rant was an interesting thought about the line between the media's role in covering college players and, in his words, attacking an amateur athlete. Yeah, these kids are on scholarship, but they’re also pawns in a billion-dollar industry. Their actions and play affect millions upon millions of dollars for the school, not to mention the budgets of the athletic departments. Sorry, but criticism comes with the gig at the D-I level, and that pressure is often part of the reason why players choose to go to the schools they do. The media should be able to attack, critique, and overanalyze the on-field play of anyone at any time, and if a player doesn’t like it, he can go play at the lower levels where the stakes aren’t as high. However, it can’t ever be a personal attack or mean-spirited, and at the collegiate level, the line has to be drawn when it comes to questioning toughness or an injury. These guys still have to go to class, and they don't always have the world-class trainers the pros do to speed up the healing process. It's not right to demand that they play through a serious injury like the NFLers do. As far as "attacking," if the overall pie-in-the-sky goal of collegiate athletics is to create better people for the real world, then saying a quarterback sucks is a soft wet kiss behind the ear compared to what he’s going to face when his college days are over.

In an attempt to surpass the record number of frighteningly angry e-mails received, recently set by the “passionate” college wrestling crowd … As of right now, with the caveat that I'll likely change my tune as the season goes on and as teams start to jell, today, Tuesday, September 25th, 2007, marks day one of the rest of my life. From this day forward, I will try to be brave enough, and strong enough, to stop blindly kissing the SEC's butt.

For years, everyone’s been afraid to poke the bear with a stick (as opposed to the legend of The Bear poking Nick Saban), knowing that anything short of continuous genuflecting at the altar of the almighty SEC will bring nothing but great vengeance and furious anger from the most passionate fans in college football.

Yes, with Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State not being that bad, from top to bottom, the SEC is the best conference going right now (please note what I just wrote when your bile starts to build), but it’s time to start taking a really hard look at the league this year, and it's time to stop assuming it’s the dominant force everyone thinks it is.

You’re 100%, rock-solid, bet-the-house certain that LSU is one of the two best teams in the country right now. It's been driven into your head so much, it's now become an unquestioned fact. The defense has been so dominant, ranking first in the nation in almost all categories, and seventh in pass defense, that no one can do anything against it, right? Yeah, and last year's Ohio State offense couldn't be shut down. Take a look at the offenses LSU has faced so far: Mississippi State (102nd in the nation), Virginia Tech (107th), Middle Tennessee (108th), and South Carolina (79th). It won't get much harder once the meat of the season kicks in. Right now, half the SEC offenses are ranked 74th or lower, none are in the top ten, and only Florida, Kentucky, and Arkansas are in the top 25. I'm not saying LSU isn't fantastic, or that the D stinks. I'm merely saying that there might be more to the story.

You’re 100%, rock-solid, sell-the-house certain that Florida has simply reloaded, and it automatically belongs among the national title contenders, right? (Actually, I do believe this, but more on that later.) Western Kentucky is barely D-I, Troy is dead last in America in run defense, Tennessee has a great brand name, but isn’t Tennessee right now, and Ole Miss is 107th in the nation in defense. You're basing everything on one dominant performance against an average Vols team.

There's no question about it, LSU and Florida are good, but I want to see more. Unfortunately, I won’t, because now the SECers basically play each other, and everyone likes to pump up SEC teams based on what they do in conference play. You have to remember that just because one or two teams are top-shelf dominant, that doesn’t mean the entire conference is great. Did you rank the Pac 10 as one of the best conferences over the last few years because of USC? No, so why are you doing it now?

Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt aren’t awful like the true bottom feeders in other leagues, but they’re at a lower level compared to the rest of the league (even after MSU's win over Auburn). South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, and Georgia are all at a similar level of average, with a few differences here and there.

Arkansas can't throw more than three feet down the field with any sort of accuracy (but to be fair, it's missing top WR Marcus Monk), Auburn is woefully short on playmakers and on the offensive line, Alabama can't find any sort of a pass rush no matter what the situation, Georgia is as flaky as they come thanks to a reloading young team, Kentucky can't stop the run, South Carolina's offense is more painful to watch than an Oprah/The View double-feature, and Tennessee has apparently decided to not play defense this year. I'm not saying the programs stink, and I'm not saying these teams won't be really good at the end of the year, or dominant next year. I'm talking about right now, and if you're watching the entire college landscape, then you can't objectively look at the mid-level SEC teams and say they're anything remotely special.

And then there are the big non-conference games to compare and contrast. In the big ones, Tennessee lost to Cal, Auburn lost to South Florida, and barely beat Kansas State, LSU dominated a Virginia Tech team that’s still playing like the weight of an entire region is on its shoulders, and Kentucky beat a Louisville team that couldn’t stop you and ten girl scouts from putting up 500 yards and 43 points. That’s it.

The best non-conference wins for the other nine teams: Alabama (Western Carolina 52-6), Arkansas (Troy 46-26), Florida (Troy 59-31), Georgia (Oklahoma State 35-14 … this was good, even with the Cowboys’ loss at Troy), Ole Miss (Memphis 23-21), Mississippi State (Tulane 38-17), South Carolina (UL Lafayette 28-14), Tennessee (Southern Miss 39-19), Vanderbilt (Richmond 41-17). Oooh, a bunch of real BCS killers in that bunch.

Basically, I'm asking the world to actually watch the SEC games like it would games from any other league. I will now curl up into a corner with a warm glass of milk, a copy of I'm OK, You're OK, and rest up for the onslaught that's about to come my way.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:40 PM
But what do I know?

There you go again spouting off about out of conference games. The Pansy-10 needs those out of conference games because they are so weak in conference. The SEC needs breaks to heal up from a tough in conference schedule. If USC had to play hard hitting competition every week, they wouldn't last. You just saw what a healthy SEC team can do, again: claim another national title by soundly beating the team that was supposed to be there, when the SEC team "got lucky" to be there.

Maybe if there was more than 1 good team in the Pansy-10, you could stop talking about OCC.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 01/08/2008, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Heck the way the schedule worked out no team outright had a record to prove they deserved it. Osu backed in by having like 6 teams ahead of us lose in 2 weeks, Oregon wouldve had a solid claim if Dixon had been healthy all year (Lets face it they went undefeated) The big 12 knocked itself out of contention, Usc lost to Stanford, nuff said, and the Sec did what they're always complaining about Knocked themselves out.

I have a strange feeling next years gonna be the same way:

Oklahoma, Mizzou, and Kansas aren't changing much same thing

Georgia may be the best team in the Sec but Florida or like Auburn will pull one out on them

Ohio State and Usc square off and likely could knock the other out

West V. is gonna be great but their also inconsistent (the team that lost to Pitt looked radically different then the one which smacked Oklahoma)

The only thing is i dont see a Hawaii coming out to jumble up the standings.

Big year comin out but whoever wins between Sc and osu is gonna use that win as a big chunk of their reasoning why they should get in...

and now i gotta look at this ugly bulldog for a year...
Old 01/08/2008, 10:08 PM

At least you changed it a lot quicker than semi.

8th of january of next year is when you can change it. Its not that bad having the best team in the land avatar.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgoodrich71
There you go again spouting off about out of conference games. The Pansy-10 needs those out of conference games because they are so weak in conference. The SEC needs breaks to heal up from a tough in conference schedule. If USC had to play hard hitting competition every week, they wouldn't last. You just saw what a healthy SEC team can do, again: claim another national title by soundly beating the team that was supposed to be there, when the SEC team "got lucky" to be there.

Maybe if there was more than 1 good team in the Pansy-10, you could stop talking about OCC.
LOL, Yep Florida opened up against West Kenrucky and troy because they were so beat up from.... Uh, yeah, these were their first two games.

OK Kentucky opened up against eastern Kentucky, Kent and 6-6 Louisville because they needed to heal up from, Oh, right they hadn't played anyone yet. Maybe they just needed to rest up for Arkansas

Don't know if its true or not but I heard Georgia added a game at ASU to their schedule next year. If they did Kuddos to them for stepping up and playing a decent program. They should have a good team next year. I figure Georgia will be a favorite but at least it will be competative.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, Seeing that bulldawg tripped me up. Way to man up and settle your debt. Damn Rug, Now I wish I had found an uglier logo for you to stick Semi with
Old 01/08/2008, 10:23 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

A note to all, please see my signature line for the TRUTH.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

btw is it just me or does big ten just struggle each team with a different conference:

Ohio State struggles with Sec, Michigan with Pac 10, ect?

and like it or not i keep my word; had to pay roughly $120 today to tiger fans in school
Old 01/09/2008, 01:18 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:

8th of january of next year is when you can change it. Its not that bad having the best team in the land avatar.
'

Nah man, avatar bets always end when college football season starts up again. Let him change it back once college football starts up again. It makes more fun that way.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 01/09/2008, 01:27 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
So following your "logic" A team that wins a game on a blown call by an official is better than their opponent. Yep, gotta love that SEC mentality
No I never said anything about blown calls. Your silly USC coach left Booty in the game and should have put Sanchez in. I am almost positive USC would have won the game if Sanchez came in at the appropriate time.

I do agree with you about how the SEC plays pansy OOC oppenents when they open up the season (however Tenn. does play CAL) but why would you start off playing tough oppenents anyways? Example:

Say FLA starts their season with two decent team and one rent a victim. Then after those three games FLA goes in a very tough stretch against Tennessee, Auburn, UGA, LSU, etc. Starting their season off with tough oppenents is only increasing their chances of losing. No matter what SEC, they are bound to lose when you are throwing great teams at them. They need some type of break and some type of break in time. The pansy OOC games SEC teams play before they start their IC schedule allows them to practice plays and figure out whos starting etc.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!