Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/19/2007, 11:33 AM

those blue hermits are sweet, but VERY naughty!
Old 08/20/2007, 12:48 AM
TRC Leader

What do they do? These haven't done anything interesting yet.

Tonight I pulled off the locline because a ton of algae was growing on it. I washed it in the sink and removed three sections to make it shorter, which will help keep more of it out of the lighting's path and help light up more of the tank.

The filth on the sand seems to be a somewhat heavy accumulation of detritus. That's odd because I'm only squirting in enough food for the four fish, which is 2ml of thawed fishfood mixed with saltwater. So either it is pumping up from the prop section, or the LR is releasing some into the display perhaps. I'm not sure.

I need to find one of the cucumbers in my 280g reef or the refugium, as I have a few in there. Then I could put it in the nano and let it work on the substrate.

I'm still trying to find two tiny ballbearings for the light kits so I can finally suspend the light. This is the Aqua Medic fixture that uses the steel wire cabling. I have everything but those stupid ballbearings. They are smaller than 1/8", which was the smallest size the bike shop had. I tried two hobby stores and looked through Home Depot for a while without success. I also asked at an auto parts store. I may have to drive over to a gun shop to see what size buckshot comes in. I really don't want to buy a new light kit because of two ballbearings. That's rediculous.
Old 08/20/2007, 12:59 AM
my member is registered.

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
What do they do? These haven't done anything interesting yet.

Tonight I pulled off the locline because a ton of algae was growing on it. I washed it in the sink and removed three sections to make it shorter, which will help keep more of it out of the lighting's path and help light up more of the tank.

The filth on the sand seems to be a somewhat heavy accumulation of detritus. That's odd because I'm only squirting in enough food for the four fish, which is 2ml of thawed fishfood mixed with saltwater. So either it is pumping up from the prop section, or the LR is releasing some into the display perhaps. I'm not sure.

I need to find one of the cucumbers in my 280g reef or the refugium, as I have a few in there. Then I could put it in the nano and let it work on the substrate.

I'm still trying to find two tiny ballbearings for the light kits so I can finally suspend the light. This is the Aqua Medic fixture that uses the steel wire cabling. I have everything but those stupid ballbearings. They are smaller than 1/8", which was the smallest size the bike shop had. I tried two hobby stores and looked through Home Depot for a while without success. I also asked at an auto parts store. I may have to drive over to a gun shop to see what size buckshot comes in. I really don't want to buy a new light kit because of two ballbearings. That's rediculous.
I have the exact same fixture melev. Actually i have two of them, and every single one of them are missing those stupid little ball bearings.
I Emailed AquaMedic about new kits. They gave me a email to a person state side ( because my first email went to germany). The guy told me 15$ bucks per kit. If you want the email addy let me know and I'll PM it to you. Nice tank
Old 08/20/2007, 01:07 AM
TRC Leader

Recently, Champion Lighting was selling a "Box of Crap" for $10 plus shipping. One RC member bought it and it came with the light cables. I asked him if I could get them since he stated he'd no use for 'em, and paid $5 to cover postage and his time.

It arrived missing the ballbearings of course. I'm determined to find the tiny beads rather than paying for a full kit. It's the principle of the matter!
Old 08/20/2007, 01:13 AM
my member is registered.

ahh i c, well mine fell right out =(
Old 08/20/2007, 01:18 AM
TRC Leader

That's part of the problem. They fall out too easily and if you don't know it, you're up a creek without a suspension kit.
Old 08/20/2007, 01:29 AM
Premium Member

What's up with these fixtures? Two tiny ballbearings used to hold it up that fall out all the time....sounds stupid.
Old 08/20/2007, 01:32 AM
TRC Leader

Actually, it is 3 ballbearings per holding pin, and there are two pins. You gotta have 6 to use it correctly. I'd rather have it look nice rather than ugly, so I'm holding out until I can find what I need.
Old 08/20/2007, 01:39 AM
Premium Member

Well I think some buckshot would fix it all right.
Old 08/20/2007, 01:53 AM
TRC Leader

I just checked the 25# bag I have, and it is too small. It is marked 7 1/2. I'll have to see what the gun shop has, maybe in the next day or so.
Old 08/20/2007, 11:49 AM
Got frags?

Marc, the overflow that you have on there, does it make a lot of noise? I'm planning on doing that with my office tank, but I don't want slurping/gulping noises coming from behind me the whole day.
Old 08/20/2007, 11:53 AM
TRC Leader

It made a small slurping sound when I had the pump's flow choked back some to make sure the surface was being skimmmed. Since turning up the flow, it runs dead silent now but the surface isn't being skimmed clean.

Remember the tank has been running for a month, and I'm still trying to work out the kinks.
Old 08/20/2007, 11:54 AM
Got frags?

Okay, well, I haven't built mine yet, so the more you learn the better mine will be
Old 08/20/2007, 12:29 PM

those electric blue hermits are crafty little guys. and they like to kill other animals if they take a fancy to their shell. I couldn't pass them up, but only have 5 in my display so they can't do to much damage. They run around tasting everything in the tank. I have even seen tem having "meetings". I sleep with one eye open!
Old 08/20/2007, 08:41 PM
TRC Leader

Today I was able to see how the tank looked with the locline shorter. I might even remove one or two more segments as that seems to make a difference in how the water circulates. The sand is moving around a little, which also seems to clean it up some.

I still need to scoop the dirty stuff together and probably siphon it out. It moves around like ashes, very light but still holding together enough to probably remove most of it without losing sand.

It seems more evenly lit now.

And a few more tiny shots.

Old 08/21/2007, 11:00 PM
wait, isn't protein good?

my god Melev, you have far too much time on your hands

"What's money worth if you can't face yourself in the mirror every day?"
Old 08/21/2007, 11:15 PM
TRC Leader

What do you mean by that? I built the tank last December, and didn't set it up until July. If anything, I'm too darn busy.

A couple of pictures from tonight before the lights cycled off.

Rock anemone (blue-ish tentacles) - My new favorite hermit.

And one more - the shell looks too heavy for this crab, but he drags it around somehow.
Old 08/23/2007, 02:52 PM
Girls Rule!

nuna nuna nuna nuna nuna nuna AQAU CRAB MAN!
Old 08/23/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

incredible photos. what kind of camera do you use?
Old 08/23/2007, 05:28 PM

Old 08/29/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Bump any updates?
Old 08/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

I have a hanger kit from a sunpod light unit? Do you know if that will work? I am not going to use it.
Old 08/29/2007, 10:51 PM
TRC Leader

I'll take a picture of the piece I'm looking for to show you what I'm lacking. Thanks for the offer.

Wilson0204 - not much to update right now. The tank needs more flow to avoid the mess on the substrate, or I need to add some critters for a clean up crew perhaps.
Old 08/29/2007, 11:23 PM
Frag-a-holic

Marc, how about a new Reef Cast?

Just so you know, I am messing around. I am sure you guys are real busy. I do think that Rob Weatherly could whoop Evan's a$$ though. Look at his physique.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 08/30/2007, 12:00 AM
clown addict

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I have even seen tem having "meetings". I sleep with one eye open!
Meetings!!! That's funny...I can just picture them coming up with a plan to escape the tank and head to the fridge for some beer. I only owned 1 before and one day when he molted he never made it back to the shell. The LFS don't really stock them that much around here.

Hey Melev do you find some days the rbta has its "bubbles" and then some days it doesn't? I could never figure those anemones out.