Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Do I need more flow?

Hello. I have a 53 gallon tank (31.5" x 19" x 19". Right now, I have about 15X flow. I have a Eheim 1260 return pump (635gph with max head delivery of 12'1"). Does the max head delivery mean that I'll get the 635gph if I'm within 12'1" for return plumbing? I probably have 3 feet in return plumbing.
The return in the tank, is in the right back corner, facing the front left corner. I also have 1 MaxiJet 1200 (295gph) in the back left corner facing the front right corner. I'm not looking into adding much sps...mainly lps and softies. Do I need to increase my flow? What is a good amount for corals, but not so much that the fish have a hard time dealing with it? Seems the sand in the back of my tank behind the rock, and the front left hand corner of my tank, have a lot of detritus building up, but the right hand side of the tank, the sand is nice and clean (the side where the MJ1200 is facing). I'm guessing I need more flow.

I was looking at the Tunze Nanostream 6025 (660gph) or the
Hydro Koralia 1 or 2 (400 or 600gph). Which would be the better choice?

Also....If I add a powerhead and put it in the opposite back corner from where I have my MJ now, where should I point the return that is in the back right hand corner now? Should I point it straight across the back of the tank behind the rock?

Thanks!
Pam
Coral Beauty
Orchid Dottyback
Red Scooter Blenny
Old 06/26/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Re: Do I need more flow?

Quote:
Originally posted by pammy
Hello. I have a 53 gallon tank (31.5" x 19" x 19". Right now, I have about 15X flow. I have a Eheim 1260 return pump (635gph with max head delivery of 12'1"). Does the max head delivery mean that I'll get the 635gph if I'm within 12'1" for return plumbing? I probably have 3 feet in return plumbing.
Not exactly... The max head is the maximum distance the pump can push the water, i.e. at 12' you will get 0 gph. The longer the distance, the lower the gph. I often see charts presented with the pump information showing how much the gph drops at various distances, but after a quick google on eheim pumps I couldn't find the chart. I think for only 3 feet you should not see too much of a drop, certainly not lower than 400 to 450.

Also, I've read that a recommended flow rate (cf. melev) is 3x to 5x the volume of the display tank, so in your case you probably want to keep the flow under 300 gph through your sump.

I think for more flow, add powerheads.