Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Used Equipment & Drygoods Selling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2006, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

SOCAL FS Odyssea 48" 2x150W HQI 4xt5 fixture only

For sale: (SOCAL PEOPLE SAVE ON SHIPPING WILL ALLOW LOCAL PICKUP! )

Odyssea HQI/ T5 light fixture only WITH BULBS! Stock Ballast is toast from day one (shocked me) so threw it away. But the FIXTURE and BULBS are BRAND NEW and only plugged in ONCe for 4 min to check for working order after it arrived.

Everything works fine, fixture is in MINT condition, never saw water at all.

My plan was to power this unit with a UL listed Sunlight Supply Blue Wave VII Dual 150W HQI ballast (which i already had) , and get name brand T5 ballasts to power this lights T5s and just pitch the Ballast that came with the light no matter what. (capacitors)

The stock ballasts are junk that come with the light, but I purchased it already knowing this wanting just the fixture as it seemed fairly well built itself and solid.. I wanted it to do a MOD for it since I already had the BWVII for another mod I was planning on my Orbit CSL fixture (adding HQI to it) And the T5s were already there, so that was cool.

Im selling it because now Ive decided to go with T5 only so the fixture is for sale. Also still have the BW VII which is brand new NEVER EVEN PLUGGED IN! Comes with the special BWVII 8ft CORDS, and 4 YEAR WARRANTY on the ballast itself. (cords cost me about $25ea)

You Might consider a package deal at this point for both if you want to power the light with a Name brand ballast (recommended)

Right now, I want $150.00+ SH to the first bidder for the FIXTURE only.. and $200.00 + SH for the BWVII BRAND NEW BALLAST WITH TWO POWER CORDS.

So $350.00 + SH for BOTH (about the price for the junk ballast and light to begin with)

Honestly, the Odyssea HQI fixture is a sexy nice looking light, IMHO I am impressed with the Build of the fixture from day 1. Really I paid for the ballast and light, just to get the light FIXTURE. Pricing everything seperately I couldnt touch this deal for the fixture, bulbs, HQI and T5 connectors.

The fixture is really nice IMHO, compared to other name brands I think its actually more SOLID than some I have seen. Its dual fan cooled, with black powder coated flat finish, its made from solid aluminum, but its still a lightweight fixture that comes with feet and hanging kit.. It also has UV glass over the HQI portion and lense over the T5 sections too. You can power T5s and HQI seperately. It came with decent bulbs as is, but you can modify it as you see fit, of course if you want the ballast too, the Sunlight Supply BWVII needs no plugging, its a top of the line ballast with a great track record.

All you would need is a 4bulb T5 ballast some wiring, and your done.

I just wanted to run this fixture with a UL listed Ballast, esp for the HQI's to be safe.

Last edited by BubbleMonkeyIII; 11/11/2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11/11/2006, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

No takers? bump
Old 11/17/2006, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

will drop price to 275$ for both.. basically GIVING away the light fixture and bulbs, but must contact me by tomm if you want it, elsewise look for it on EBAY for 300$

thanks
BM
Old 11/18/2006, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

bahump
Old 12/10/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Bahump; make me an offer!

thanks
Old 12/10/2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

sent pm
Old 12/12/2006, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

BubbleMonkeyIII.

I would like to purchase the setup. I sent you a PM. I will pay for shipping (in fact, I'll email you the FedEx slip).

Let me know.

Dom
Old 12/12/2006, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Sold to local reefer..

thanks everyone
Old 12/18/2006, 05:11 AM
Registered Member

pos
Old 12/18/2006, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

This light will be on sale again as I am refunding the original purchaser.

I need to clarify some issues with the fixture itself In this post, to make sure there are no problems with communication of the condition of the light in the future with the next purchaser.

The Light fixture is in "LIKE NEW" Condtion, and Technically NEVER used for more than 5 minutes, just to test the bulbs. I connnected the stock ballast that comes with the light to make sure everything worked after opening the box, All the LIGHTS worked at that time.

However when It arrrived from the seller to me, one side of the T5 bulbs had come loose from their brackets, I corrected this by opening up one end of the light, and reattaching them to the brackets and retested the light. I reattached the ballast to the lights and The T5 bulbs worked fine after I reattached them, no problems at all.

However when I the end of the light was opened to fix the T5s I noticed a BROKEN wire coming from the power source from OUTSIDE of the light it must have come apart somehow when I took the end cap off. At first I didnt see where it came apart, but finally found the other wire burried in a bundle of wires. It was one of the wires connected to the HQI sockets.

I repaired this wire by soldering it to each other and covering it with the same heat shrink material that the MFG uses. Howver, fter selling the unit here on RC, it appears one of T5 the wires broke after I reconnected the end cap unknown to me.

For this reason and the Repair I made, I am accepting the light back from the buyer with full refund to him.

However if you consider this light fixture as a PROJECT light, please be prepared to do some HEAVY duty DIY wiring for the BALLAST wires I am also offering that come with the Blue Wave VII This will require the purchaser to cut all the existing connections inside the light and splice the new power wires to HQI and the T5 sockets.

I hope this is clear enough? The fixture is solidly built and is a great deal IMHO if someone wants HQI and T5 and is even slightly handy.
Old 12/18/2006, 02:46 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

Saw the post on the DIY forum, I am interested but not at the listed price, any changes given the amount of rewiring etc. needed?
Old 12/18/2006, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Well according to Bergo, the T5 wire that also broke somehow is spliced. Cannot confirm this till I get it back. But again anyone who buys this light is going to have to HOOK UP T5 ballasts to the fixture thus having to cut the T5 wires pretty much in SEVERAL places anyways to connect the new BALLAST. Not sure if that wire would need it, but in worse case scenario, it would be spliced.

I will also check this repair out to make sure it is not loose or the shrink wrap is also not loose as what happend to the wire I repaired originally. This time im using MAPP gas.. heheh I used a blow dryer on that last repair, never again, I think it takes MUCH more heat like HEAT gun at minimum to shrink those things down VERY Tight.

I might hardwire the BW7 ballast to the light so that part of the work would be done, Might also take the plunge and hook up T5 ballst in there too, If i get wild.....but then I will try to sell the light for MORE$$ as it will truely be PLUG and Play at this time ready to go, a NON DIY LIGHT. Also any potential NON working lights could also be tested BEFORE ITS SOLD etc.. Because there will be TWO WORKING ballast connected to the thing.

Like I said, up to just a week before it sold, I was trying to get a refund on the ballast, so wasnt going to mess with the ballast or the light any further than repairing of that one wire. My original plan was to just sell the light AS IS without the Ballast. But when SS wouldnt take it back, so I listed the light with the ballast.
Old 01/02/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Update, after I get the light fixture back from Bergyov, Im going to see the possiblities of converting this fixture over to all T5. If so then the only thing I have left for sale is the BWVII.

If it looks like this wouldnt work, I will probably hardwire the BWVII to the ODY MYSELF.. then test the HQIs and connections, and sell it as T5 HQI with T5 ballast needed.

And Or hook up the T5s ballast as well myself and sell it as READY to go DIY.